Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
3 year old earring infection

SingALong

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 12:33 pm
yeasterday I noticed on my DD's ear, in the back of the earring hole was red and crusty. she was crying that it hurts. she never lets me clean it with alchohol. so last night I freaked cuz of this infection. I trie dot take the earing out but she cried that it hurt too much. I tried cleaning it in her sleep but she woke up, but I was able to get most of the scab off.

when DH came home, he didn't want to wake her so this morning he took out her earrings. I told her if she still wants earings she MUST let me clean it. I soaked the earrings in a cup of alchohol, cleaned her ears really well, and put the wet posts back inside. the back of her ear still has somewhat of an open wound. now she seems ok but is terrified of me celaning it.

What should I do? just keep trying to force her to let me clean it or just take out the earrings and let them close and I'll repierce when she's older? I don't need these earrings, she's the one who wants them so I really don't mind taking them out. is there anyting else I can do to disinfect the ear? like bacintracin/neosporin?

bigprincess

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 12:51 pm
Try hoop earrings. They let the ear breath.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 12:58 pm
Get the stuff called Daisy from Simply Whispers. That's what dd and I use, with great success.

SingALong

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 3:59 pm
hmm I googled simply whispers, and got a jewlery site, but when I searched for "daisy" I didnt' get anyting other than daisy shaped earings. can you give me more information about the stuff and where to get it?

reed

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 5:05 pm
My DD is very sensitive to gold, which often has nickel in it and can be highly allergic. At different points we tried 18K gold or other forms of gold that were supposed to be hypoallergenic. After a lot of trial and error, I find that she does best with the inexpensive stainless steel posts. But even those irritate her often, so she only wears earrings for special occasions. And I don't let her sleep in them - but if you're DD is younger, putting them in and out can be a pain.

When my next girl got earrings, I opted for titanium posts to avoid triggering a reaction like her sister had.

If you take out the earrings while there's an ongoing infections, the hole is likely to close. But if you just take them out when all is clear, they aren't likely to close. You might want to keep putting bacitracin, neosporin, or even hydrocortisone cream on it to help it heal. Hoops are probably also a good suggestion, as was mentioned earlier. (My DD actually needed a round of antibiotics when she couldn't get rid of an infection. But she was highly allergic when she was younger, so she's probably an extreme case.)

When DD asked her doctor about the earring situation, she suggested coating the posts with clear nailpolish. She's less likely to react if it's coated. Another option is to dip the earring in hydrocortisone cream before putting it in. It might help her now too, while she's uncomfortable from the present irritation.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 5:11 pm
SingALong wrote:
hmm I googled simply whispers, and got a jewlery site, but when I searched for "daisy" I didnt' get anyting other than daisy shaped earings. can you give me more information about the stuff and where to get it?

I went online and got that too. I called them but they closed. I will try again bli neder and let you know.

SingALong

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 11:24 pm
thanks everyone for the advice!

update: I took out her earing while she was asleep, cleaned her really well, and soaked the earing in alchohol. I put the earing back in while it was still wet with alchohol so it kind of cleans the inside of the hole. she kvetched in her sleep but was ok.

I tried it again the next morning and she cried so much I asked her if she wants no more earings. and she said no more. so I said ok let me take out the other one, and she said no, only 1 earring. I waited a couple of hours till naptime and I cleaned her ear again and puthte earing back in and she woke up scremaing. I felt terrible!!!!

form now on I'm only cleaning it without taking out the earring and if the infection doesn't heal then bye earings until she's older that's it I'm not putting her through this.

I will definitely try the bacintracin, I dont' see too much of an open wound in the back so I hope that wil be ok.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 12:01 am
You definately need bacitracin. While alcohol is important since it disinfects, bacitracin or bactroban or neosporin will help the wound heal.
First clean the earring and post with alcohol; don't just soak it. Rub off any dirt as well.
You don't have to take out the earring every day. Keep the earring clasp loose, and use a q-tip to smear bacitacin on the wound, behind the earring, and behind the earring post.
Huggies are a great option. They allow the ears to breathe. I bought them for dd after her earring got stuck in her earring hole and it needed to be removed by a plastic surgeon.

reed

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 9:00 am
Putting in an earring, wet with alcohol, can be painful. It would be better to put bacitracin on the ear.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 8:39 am
you should be putting bacitracin on the earring post as well as on the back and front of the ear lobe. I'd cry too if all you were putting is alchohol on an open wound, it burns. The bacitracin won't do that. you might consider taking her to a pediatrician to get a script for bactroban.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics