Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you think avoiding certain food really affects your year?

fiddle

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 4:15 am
I saw a few threads about avoiding nuts, lemon juice, vinegar, spicy foods, sour foods etc. on rosh hashana until after sukkot, and im wondering if the people who do work so hard to avoid this stuff, do you really think it makes a difference?

I guess in my head I put it in the same category as segulas and dont believe one has what to do with the other. I have had ok years and good years and all the while I never thought once to not eat something on rosh hashana...... if I dont like honey I wont eat honey, if I do eat it - I dont think it made my year any different. if I choose to eat a sour pickle, that means I doomed? do you believe that that's the case?

just curious.

lizard8

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 4:21 am
Its a minhag and a mindset.
Your problem is that you categorized this question in intellectual stuff. No deep philosophical answer here.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 4:24 am
It's not a segula. It's all in the Shulchan Aruch (certainly nuts on RH and not eating bitter/sour foods [which is open to a little interpretation]).

So if you want to know - yes, I think following the Shulchan Aruch makes a difference.

Though I must add that I heard in the name of one of the gedolei hamussar - maybe someone remembers who - that it's a good siman not to eat nuts because they have the same gematria as chet (sin), so it's an even better siman not to do a chet on RH.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:58 am
I do it for the minhag.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:16 am
No I don't.

I generally avoid nuts and eat honey because its tradition.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:43 am
It isn't our minhag to avoid or eat really anything but new fruits, apple in honey, challah with honey. I like the simanim but my dh doesn't really like to do so.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 8:23 am
I don't put that much thought into it.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:40 pm
I follow it - it can't hurt avoiding those items/eating the recommended items -

and just like at the pesach seder table we do certain things - so the kids will ask- same with these minhagim. My family has all the simanim as the appitizer and call it seder simanim - we show the choldren and guests what we are eating and talk about what they represent and teach at the same time. - it peaks everyones interest.

ex. - we eat the pomegranate to remind us that the torah has 613 mitxvot - do I think the pom has 613 seeds - nope... but it gives the children an ancor to see many seeds come from it - so too that big number of 613 is quite large...

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:41 pm
It's a minhag. We hope that because of that we have a sweet year and not a sour one.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:59 pm
To me, part of being a Jew means that for every physical action there is a spiritual counterpart. The physical and spiritual are connected in many ways, some of which we can't begin to fathom. So yes. I believe it makes a difference. And as others have said, its a minhag.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics