Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Frum BT family moving to Baltimore - need advice on place
1  2  Next

happymom3

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:59 am
I live in a west coast out of town community and my husband and I are thinking about moving to Baltimore next year. We are both BT's. I am in my 40s and my husband is in his 50s. We have four kids, ranging in ages of 2 through 8. We daven ashkenazi at a regular orthodox shul. I cover my hair but we watch TV occasionally. We want to move to a section of Baltimore where we can continue to grow in our Yiddishkeit but also have friends around us who are similar to us (frum BT's with secular jobs). We love to be around friendly FFB's also. We don't want to be the least frum in the community and we don't want to be the most frum in the community either. Where do I start in terms of looking for a neighborhood, a shul and a school for my kids (I have one boy and three girls)? I really want to live somewhere where there are a lot of frum kids on our street. Thanks for your help!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 9:36 am
What's your budget like? I think you'd find friends almost anywhere, but I'm thinking you may be comfortable in the Greenspring/Ranchleigh areas.
I'm not sure for schooling what you're more comfortable with -- more of a tzioni, co-ed school like Rambam, or Bais Yaakov for girls and TA for boys (I don't think those schools have TV rules).
There are many shuls you may be able to feel at home at; depending on where you live, you'll be better able to find the best one for you. Shomrei Emunah or Sharei Zion may be good fits.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 9:44 am
I feel like Baltimore doesn't have such rigid "sections" where certain groups of people live. If I were a newcomer to Baltimore, I'd probably make my decision on where to live based on the type of house I'd like and maybe try to find a house somewhat near the shul. Because, IMO, most neighborhoods are a mix of everything. In general, most people have secular jobs. It's not like having a "secular job" will set you apart in any other the neighborhoods you choose.

Baltimore is a large mix of everything. I don't think it's hard for people to find their niche here.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:00 am
DefyGravity wrote:
I feel like Baltimore doesn't have such rigid "sections" where certain groups of people live. If I were a newcomer to Baltimore, I'd probably make my decision on where to live based on the type of house I'd like and maybe try to find a house somewhat near the shul. Because, IMO, most neighborhoods are a mix of everything. In general, most people have secular jobs. It's not like having a "secular job" will set you apart in any other the neighborhoods you choose.

Baltimore is a large mix of everything. I don't think it's hard for people to find their niche here.

I agree. (Not that it helps much, as I'm amother.) Find a shul that you feel comfortable in, and then look for houses within walking distance. You'll fit in almost anywhere. Baltimore's like that.

And yes, I would check into Shaarei Zion, maybe Rabbi Weiss's shul. Honestly, you probably wouldn't feel "out of place" in too many Baltimore shuls.

Can't wait to see you around Baltimore!

happymom3

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:58 pm
Thank you so much for your help. We definitely want a single gender school for our kids but we hope the single gender schools won't judge our kids for not having yichus or not having FFB parents and so forth. As for our budget . . . I am not sure as I don't know how much houses go for. What is the average price for a house in the Greenspring/Ranchleigh area? We would want to rent a house at first for a year before we commit to buying. We hope for a 4 bedroom, at least 2000 sq ft house but hope to pay less than $400,000 for it. Is that possible? I know there is Bais Yaakov for girls. Is there any other good frum option for single gender school for girls or is Basi Yaakov the best choice? We have secular family and want our children to be in a frum environment but one that accepts them for having secular extended family. Also, it is ok to wear jean skirts in Baltimore? How about grocery shopping in a tichel or hat or snood instead of a sheitel? Are some areas more "dressy" than others? Thank you so much for your help.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:07 pm
happymom3 wrote:
Thank you so much for your help. We definitely want a single gender school for our kids but we hope the single gender schools won't judge our kids for not having yichus or not having FFB parents and so forth.
Absolutely not. You'll get in, no problems.

Quote:

As for our budget . . . I am not sure as I don't know how much houses go for. What is the average price for a house in the Greenspring/Ranchleigh area? We would want to rent a house at first for a year before we commit to buying. We hope for a 4 bedroom, at least 2000 sq ft house but hope to pay less than $400,000 for it. Is that possible?

Yes, it is.
Quote:

I know there is Bais Yaakov for girls. Is there any other good frum option for single gender school for girls or is Basi Yaakov the best choice? We have secular family and want our children to be in a frum environment but one that accepts them for having secular extended family.

Bnos Yisroel is also a great school, but they might ask about TV usage, etc. Neither will care about secular family. Baltimore is full of people from similar backgrounds.

Quote:

Also, it is ok to wear jean skirts in Baltimore? How about grocery shopping in a tichel or hat or snood instead of a sheitel? Are some areas more "dressy" than others? Thank you so much for your help.
Yes, yes, yes.
I do think, personally, that people in Pickwick apartments (from what I've seen, not as a real rule) might dress up more than I do (in a different complex) but really, Baltimore is a big mix and you can wear whatever you want. There is very little pressure for externalities like that. It's a very open community.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:09 pm
I think you need to get rid of your worries about yichus, not being an FFB, having secular family, etc. I don't think stuff like that is even a consideration here.

It's definitely fine to wear jean skirts in Baltimore! This isn't Meah Shearim! You'll see all types doing their grocery shopping. . . you have to realize that Baltimore isn't a Jewish only place. Even at the Kosher grocery store, there are lots of non-Jewish and non-religious people that are shopping there. So <gasp> people even do shopping in pants!

You have to realize that Baltimore is an EXTREMELY mixed community. You're not going to be very different than hundreds of other people. . . unless you have two heads. Or own a pet giraffe.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:10 pm
Just as an example:
http://www.homes.com/listing/1.....RE_MD

happymom3

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:17 pm
Thank you so much for all of your help. Do you have a realtor that you would recommend? I will look into the shuls you mentioned. Is there a general Jewish Baltimore Community directory that I could obtain or someone that I can call that could give me info on the greater Baltimore Jewish community? I live in a much smaller community now and the process seems overwhelming. We are a nice and friendly bunch who would fit in anywhere with people who like to make new friends. I heard there is a modern girls school. How modern is it? I am not looking for Lashon Hara, just facts about who picks there versus the Bais Yaakov.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 8:35 pm
for the record, Rambam is not coed any more--unless you mean their preschool. They are completely separate--grades 1-12. The school is a very nice zionistic place with small classes, a lot of attention, and good academic standards.
Also, Bnos Yisrael does NOT ask anything about TV, nor do they have a TV policy. Bais Yaakov and Bnos Yisrael are VERY similar hashkafically, just Bnos is smaller. Bnos families tend to be non-Baltimore families, while Bais Yaakov has a lot of kids of their graduates. Most Ner Yisrael affiliated families send to Bais yaakov but many also send to Bnos. You would really have to visit both schools to get a sense of what works for you and your family.
for boys, you can also look into Rambam, but based on what you said, I think you would like TA.

Baltimore is REALLY chilled out, so all your questions about dress, family, etc. are not to be worried about at all.

I agree with above posters that working BT's are everywhere--you should probably try to find a place to rent that is central to all neighborhoods--maybe something between Greenspring and Park Heights (they are both walkable) because there are so many shuls that might fit your needs--Shomrei, Shaarei Zion, Rabbi Goldbergers, Agudah Greensping, Darchei Tzedek, etc.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 8:59 pm
happymom3 wrote:
Thank you so much for your help. We definitely want a single gender school for our kids but we hope the single gender schools won't judge our kids for not having yichus or not having FFB parents and so forth. As for our budget . . . I am not sure as I don't know how much houses go for. What is the average price for a house in the Greenspring/Ranchleigh area? We would want to rent a house at first for a year before we commit to buying. We hope for a 4 bedroom, at least 2000 sq ft house but hope to pay less than $400,000 for it. Is that possible? I know there is Bais Yaakov for girls. Is there any other good frum option for single gender school for girls or is Basi Yaakov the best choice? We have secular family and want our children to be in a frum environment but one that accepts them for having secular extended family. Also, it is ok to wear jean skirts in Baltimore? How about grocery shopping in a tichel or hat or snood instead of a sheitel? Are some areas more "dressy" than others? Thank you so much for your help.

happymom, I live in Baltimore and I think grocery shopping in a snood is more the norm at 7 mile market than wearing a shaitel! In other words, it is VERRRRRRRRY laid back, and jean skirts are totally cool! LOL

prettyone

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 9:11 pm
the great thing about baltimore is that you have all types of pple and noone is breathing down your back about what you do. if you want a single gender school then there are only two choices for boys and for girls. I would suggest you stick with Bais Yaakov and TA because they are a bigger mix. Bnos and TI are a little more on the frum side. as far as housing- the jewish community is pretty concentrated - the park hights area and the greenspring area. both have all different types and shuls that you will be comfortable with. Ohr hachayim- Rabbi Weiss, Sharai Zion, shomrai emunah

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:15 am
Bais Yaakov and TA (and Rambam!) are on the "frum" side as well Smile

I wasn't sure if Rambam was separate at a young age; I knew the older grades were. Thanks for that info.

OP: If you look at baltimorejewishlife.com I believe you'll get a good feel of resources in the city. Realtors can be Barry Nabozny's Remax office, Bondar, and a few smaller ones. That site probably has ads.

prettyone

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:19 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Bais Yaakov and TA (and Rambam!) are on the "frum" side as well Smile

you know what I meant Very Happy

maybe yeshivish is a better word then

mommalah

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:44 am
You can find many houses in the general Greenspring area for much less than $379k.
Barry Nabozny and his team at Remax are very good and professional.

abby1776

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 12:45 pm
Realtor - Eva Katzenelson

amother

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 12:46 pm
There are lots of BTs from the West Cost in Baltimore. I think the entire jewish community of Irvine has resettled in Greenspring. I am sure there must be people you know who have moved who can give you advice.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:20 pm
what is Ner Yisrael school affilited with? yeshivish?

prettyone

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
what is Ner Yisrael school affilited with? yeshivish?

its a mix

Tova

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 3:34 pm
abby1776 wrote:
Realtor - Eva Katzenelson

Thumbs Up times 100.

I really have to say that I SO appreciate living in a city with reasonable housing and cost of living. There are literally homes available (in frum areas near shuls) for low-mid 100,000's and up and everywhere in between (and I rarely see homes in the frum area for over 500,000. They seem to cap out at mid-400,000). But PLENTY of wonderful homes available in the 200's and 300's.

We were assessing an opportunity that came our way but when all is said and done, housing in that area is so high that it is not worth it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating