Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Precocious puberty

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 10:46 am
Anyone else dealt with this?

After having our ped dismiss our concerns for too long, we finally got dd#2 to see a pediatric endocrinologist.

She is turning 8 in a month, but her bone age is 11, she has pubic hair and needs deodorant. If we do nothing, she can expect to get her period at age 8, according to the endocrinologist. She's very tall for her age now (almost 4 ft 8), but the growth will soon end without treatment.

She is scheduled to have a cranial MRI in 10 days to rule out any serious cause.

Assuming that there is no serious underlying cause, we are likely looking at Lupron injections each month as treatment. Anyone have experience with this?

Is it worthwhile for dd#2 to undergo possibly painful injections each month in order to delay further puberty and start of period, and maybe gain a bit more height?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 12:02 pm
Yes! We have been doing the same. DD had same early development and started the shots when she was still 8. We do them every 3 months, not every month, ask your endo about that. It took a few shots (more than 1/2 a year) for the shots to have full effect to stop development totally and in the meantime, she grew more and developed more. I had to buy her training bras/sport bras. Now, she has regressed a little and is not developing although she is gaining weight because of the shots (she was on the heavy side to begin with.)

All in all, we are definitely happy we are doing the shots, especially because her maturity leaves something to be desired and she would not be ready to get her period and take care of herself. Hygiene-wise, she needs constant reminders. Also, she is in a class of girls one year younger than her as she repeated Kindergarten. It is better to be on target with other girls as much as she can. Obviously, genetics takes a role and I got my period at 10 1/2- but that age is still better than 9. There isn't a health problem with getting it early but I want her to get taller, hopefully she'll grow a little more after we stop the shots, probably at age 11 or so. The nurse puts on EMLA cream and the shots don't hurt her. We make it a fun mother/daughter day every 3 months and it works out fine. And this was from a girl with serious anxiety about needles.

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 1:47 pm
I'm glad to hear that the EMLA helps. That should ease some fears.

BH, my dd is one of the younger ones in her class and is also academically advanced and socially mature....but she's still only almost-8, and I don't want everyone to assume that she's older. There are some scary implications. I want her to have a chance to be a little girl. I'm thankful that her friends are great and haven't noticed anyone other than the fact that she's tall. I'd hate for her to go through any teasing.

I did buy her a book on puberty (the American girl one, which focus on physical changes and hygiene/grooming tips, not on reproduction), deodorant and razors, but the grooming still doesn't come as naturally to a 7 yr old as it does to an 11 yr old.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:34 pm
I know this is an old post- how are your daughters now that it's been nearly 5 years? My daughter is only JUST turned 6!! I'm so nervous
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics