Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
DD Needs New Bras but....

koalamum

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:53 pm
She doesn't want to go to the store to be fitted. She is 14 and a half and is still wearing training bras. She really needs new bras.... What should I do?

drumjj

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:54 pm
why dont u measure her yourself? look online to see how to measure for a bra measure her and then buy them?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:55 pm
If she's still in training bras, why not just buy her new ones, same size ?

No one wants to be fitted !!!

SingALong

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:59 pm
point out to her people who look like they got bras online or just picked without getitng fitting like they are either lopsided or really loose and all ove rthe place. expalin that if she really hates going to get fitted you can get her bras but does she want to risk looking like that?

maybe make her an appointment with a place in your area, ask for a quiet time so she will be less self conscious or overwhlemed from a crowded busy store.

I recall my mother taking me mornings during school so the store would be super quiet and I would't risk meeting anyone. sundays were a nightmare. so I just came to school a little late every now and then

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:41 pm
Why don't you just go to a department store or the like? They don't usually fit you or it's optional, but you still get quite a selection, can try before you buy, etc. It's my preferred way of underwear shopping, I also hate having someone else "fit" me. When she finds something she thinks is good, you can double check - mom is not as icky as store fitting lady.

lilacdreams

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:04 pm
I just took my 14 yo dd also to be fitted. She didnt want to go either but I took her to Saposh in Jerusalem and they were very discreet and professional. I told her this is how we buy bras, and it will be uncomfortable for a few moments but she will be fine. And she was. They gave her the bra and then left the cubicle and then only came in when she had the bra on. My dd thought that they would look at her naked....when she realised they wouldnt be having a good look at her chest naked she was ok. Does your dd think that is what will be happening?

With about 90% of the population wearing the wrong size bra I didnt want her adding to that stat. It is so essential that they wear the right support and size at this age when they are developing that Ijust told her she would have to deal with it....TG she pulled thru like a trooper, and then we went out for icecream Smile

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:25 pm
I know exacly how it feels me personaly I always pushed off the idea of getting a bra all together I only got one in 9th grade I was extremely small but I think u shall force her like my mom did or else shell never go!!!!!! Wink Wink

koalamum

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:21 pm
I think my DD doesn't want anyone seeing her without her shirt on. A bra alone seems naked to her! I remember my mother forcing me when I was about her age. I really couldn't stand it! Oh well. I am just getting it back I guess. (My mother always seemed to get HER way though....)

ididit

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 8:18 am
take a measuring tape.
measure around her chest across the nipples making sure she is standing up straight with arms relaxed at sides.
meaure her just below the breasts, around her rib cage.

take those two measurements to the store and buy her a new bra.

14 is still young enough not to bother with these traumatic events. maybe those 90% of ill-fitted bra-wearing women were terrorized by overly zealous fitters at age 14..... Help

but seriously, I have 6 DD's and each kid is different. the most squeamish one is now 21, and she has had no problem going to get bras by herself for the past two-three years.
hatzlacha rabba!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children