Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
America's Next Top Model - modern orthodox jew contestant
  1  2  3  15  16  17  Next

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:12 pm
Did anybody see Esther in the first episode of cycle 15?!

She says she was born in Jerusalem and is Modern Orthodox and says dosent use electricity on SHabbos.

And then unfortunately when Tyra asks her if she keeps the Sabbath she says yes. And then, when she says "but all America's next top models work every day of the week, will you do it?"

She says that she will break the Shabbos :-(.... She then says in an interview that she will do whatever it takes to win...

Oy,,, chillul hashem :-(

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:14 pm
Really? Hmm...I gotta tune into see this...

zigi

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:16 pm
don't they also have a photo shoot where they are naked? the first season a girl quit b/4 it. she refused to do it and then they said that if you are willing to be a contestant you have to strip.

interesting maybe I will watch this season.

louche

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:25 pm
Haven't seen it, but I suspect she's Modern orthodox the way Madonna is jewish--iow, in her dreams. Samuel Heilman's book Sliding to the Right classifies as orthodox anyone who so self-identifies or attends a nominally Orthodox synagogue. This means that by his lights, a person who observes no traditions other than attending services once or twice a year, but attends those services at an Orthodox synagogue, is orthodox.

In re the topic of top models, I was channel surfing the other week and saw what I thought was part of a show called "Plain Jane" in which very ordinary-looking shy women are given a major makeover and dating tips, then get a chance at dating the man of their dreams. As it happened, I was watching not Plain Jane but this Top Model show! The woman was a skeleton--I mean, I actually thought she was a refugee from Rwanda or Sudan and on the brink of starvation. This is a top model???? BLEARGH!!!!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:38 pm
Thank you for providing this evening's entertainment. It's on YouTube, for those who live TV-less, as I do. Cycle 15, episode 1, part 2 minute 6:15 or so. Not really worth wasting your time on. But you knew that. I wasted my time for you. We got a glimpse of her "G" chest in a bra. I am sure there is some Rav out there who gave a heter. The judges aren't Jewish. I don't even think the males are men over there.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:39 pm
louche wrote:

In re the topic of top models, I was channel surfing the other week and saw what I thought was part of a show called "Plain Jane" in which very ordinary-looking shy women are given a major makeover and dating tips, then get a chance at dating the man of their dreams. As it happened, I was watching not Plain Jane but this Top Model show! The woman was a skeleton--I mean, I actually thought she was a refugee from Rwanda or Sudan and on the brink of starvation. This is a top model???? BLEARGH!!!!
Tut tut. Green does not become you Rolling Laughter

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:49 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Thank you for providing this evening's entertainment. It's on YouTube, for those who live TV-less, as I do. Cycle 15, episode 1, part 2 minute 6:15 or so. Not really worth wasting your time on. But you knew that. I wasted my time for you. We got a glimpse of her "G" chest in a bra. I am sure there is some Rav out there who gave a heter. The judges aren't Jewish. I don't even think the males are men over there.

Oh, for sure it's allowed. After all, those watching don't actually see her virtually naked. They only see an image on film of her virtually naked. Then, of course, it's no problem so long as those there in real life aren't Jewish... Rolling Eyes

I seem to remember various imamother posters with such heterim... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

louche

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 5:13 pm
Tamiri wrote:
louche wrote:

Tut tut. Green does not become you Rolling Laughter

No, seriously. Plain Jane airs on BBC America. If I weren't already married and didn't hate public exposure, I would love to be on that show. That is, if I could get the stylist-come-dating-coach to find me clothes with high necklines, long sleeves and below-the-knee hemlines. The Plain Janes get their hair done--cut, colored, styled, extensions added, you name it; makeup and mani-pedi; new stylish clothes and accessories; and a date in some romantic spot in line with whatever they tell the stylist-come-fairy-godmother they dream of. of course they do have to bare their insecurities* to the whole world, or at least the whole world watching the show, but hey, you get nothing for nothing.

The Top Model show, OTOH...OK, maybe the person I saw was an also-ran--they did show her messing up repeatedly when taping a commercial--but truly, if I had a neck and upper chest that bony, I'd be wearing turtlenecks, not scoop-necked tank tops. I am 100% serious when I say I thought the young lady was a war victim or something. I thought it was a documentary and she came to America without any skills and tried to break into modeling to keep from starving to death. Only when they paused for station identification did I find out what the show was really about.

*real insecurities, like not knowing how to talk to a guy they really really like. Not a euphemism for Esther's 30-G's.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:13 pm
amother wrote:

She says she was born in Jerusalem and is Modern Orthodox and says dosent use electricity on SHabbos.

And then unfortunately when Tyra asks her if she keeps the Sabbath she says yes. And then, when she says "but all America's next top models work every day of the week, will you do it?"

She says that she will break the Shabbos :-(.... She then says in an interview that she will do whatever it takes to win...

I know a lot of Modern Orthodox Jews who would be offended by her, and would NOT give up Shabbos to become a model.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 31 2015, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:17 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
amother wrote:

I know a lot of Modern Orthodox Jews who would be offended by her, and would NOT give up Shabbos to become a model.

I also know a lot of Modern Orthodox Jews who would never ever ever pose nude--especially for such publicity.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:21 pm
Few MO would pose NUDE. No real MO would break shabbs blatantly (turn on light etc) for a weird contest.

shlomitsmum

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:27 pm
So Sad Sad and totally not worth it ..its a sick industry,that warps the mind and soul ,(My mum was a model in the 70's)
Hashem Yerachem ....It just goes on to show how twisted out value system has become as a society ! wonder were she went to school ,her parents reaction?.
Fame ,fotune ,money make this girl do this???
What do MO Imamother think of this ....I honesty wonder?

JC

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:41 pm
Her family is MO and she was brought up as MO. It looks like she is ready to try new things and to cross lines that would take her out of MO, as she was comfortable flashing the judges it seems she does not really adhere to MO practices.
OTOH I could see being her when I was a teen, but being as old as I am there wasnt the forum for mass embarrassment that reality shows and youtube provide this generation. When she is ready to settle down she may yet find the beauty of actually living the MO life she was brought up with yet has left behind at this point in her life.

chavs

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:45 pm
I think we can saefely say that she is more modern then orthodox and infact from what I saw I am fairly certain its clear she isnt orthodox at all anymore. It just bothers me she'd go on and say she is frum, I get why she'd want to say she is Jewish but, frum? It really annoys me.

louche

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:53 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:

well, DUH. I could be seriously offended by your post, which implies that many MO Jews WOULD give up Shabbos for a contest. That may not be what you intended, but usually when a person says "I know many _______ who do/do not________, " it's a kind of motzi et atzmo min haklal lelamed al atzmo velo lelamed al haklal: "I know a lot of gay men who are not swishy" means "many gay men are swishy, but you should know that not all are." So what you're saying is "I know a lot of MO people would cheerfully be mechalel Shabbos to win a contest, but not all."

PLEASE tell me that's not what you meant. The definition of Orthodox has always been, as a minimum, being shomer shabbos, kashrut and taharas hamishpacha. Even the most "modern" of MO--barring Sam Heilman's bizarre definition of orthodox as someone who is affiliated with an Orthodox synagogue--would know enough not to call themselves Orthodox if they were not shomer shabbos. and while I have seen MO girls wearing skirts above the knee, scoop necked cap-sleeved T-shirts and even going mixed swimming, I doubt that any of them would be willing to lift their shirts and flash their underwear, let alone parade around in their skivvies in mixed company.

so Esther is some MO family's OTD daughter. That doesn't make her any brand of orthodox at all. Or at least she won't be if she in fact starts working on shabbos.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:02 pm
she says she was raised mo. I know plenty of shomer shabbos people who dress like that.

louche

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:08 pm
Raisin wrote:
she says she was raised mo. I know plenty of shomer shabbos people who dress like that.

you know plenty of shomer shabbos people who walk around in their underwear in public? (Loehmann's dressing room doesn't count.) where DO you live?

prettyone

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:10 pm
louche wrote:
OPINIONATED wrote:

well, DUH. I could be seriously offended by your post, which implies that many MO Jews WOULD give up Shabbos for a contest. That may not be what you intended, but usually when a person says "I know many _______ who do/do not________, " it's a kind of motzi et atzmo min haklal lelamed al atzmo velo lelamed al haklal: "I know a lot of gay men who are not swishy" means "many gay men are swishy, but you should know that not all are." So what you're saying is "I know a lot of MO people would cheerfully be mechalel Shabbos to win a contest, but not all."

PLEASE tell me that's not what you meant. The definition of Orthodox has always been, as a minimum, being shomer shabbos, kashrut and taharas hamishpacha. Even the most "modern" of MO--barring Sam Heilman's bizarre definition of orthodox as someone who is affiliated with an Orthodox synagogue--would know enough not to call themselves Orthodox if they were not shomer shabbos. and while I have seen MO girls wearing skirts above the knee, scoop necked cap-sleeved T-shirts and even going mixed swimming, I doubt that any of them would be willing to lift their shirts and flash their underwear, let alone parade around in their skivvies in mixed company.

so Esther is some MO family's OTD daughter. That doesn't make her any brand of orthodox at all. Or at least she won't be if she in fact starts working on shabbos.

I think you are reading waaaaaaaaaaay to much into what she said. (in fact it was so deep that I almost couldnt follow it Very Happy )

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:16 pm
louche wrote:
So what you're saying is "I know a lot of MO people would cheerfully be mechalel Shabbos to win a contest, but not all."

PLEASE tell me that's not what you meant.

That is certainly not what I meant. Most of my MO friends are not mechalel shabbos.

To date, I have one MO friend who considers herself MO, but is mechalel shabbos. Her husband takes the train home from work at 6:00 pm on Fridays, even if candle lighting is at 4:30. He always kept shabbos until he got a great job with upward mobility, and doesn't want to ruin his career.

She wants to identify as MO to keep her friends but is OTD.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 31 2015, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:32 pm
louche wrote:
Raisin wrote:

you know plenty of shomer shabbos people who walk around in their underwear in public? (Loehmann's dressing room doesn't count.) where DO you live?

well, I meant before she took off her clothes. Wink

And I live in a very small town. Not a whole lot of frum people here at all. those who are frum are exposed to a lot of outside influence. It is amazing they keep what they do. often when they go to a big city they become much frummer.

And I did not use the term M.O on purpose. I said they are shomer shabbos. (and kashrus obviously)

But yes, there are M.O people who go around in tight low cut clothing. (maybe this is very left wing M.O, I dunno.) Just like there are some chareidi women who go around in flashy sheitals and tight clothing.

opinionated, there are chareidi people who bend halacha to suit their own needs. like the yeshivish woman on the other thread who goes to a beach in a bikini. How is that all that different than what this girl is doing? (ok, it's not on TV)
Page 1 of 17   1  2  3  15  16  17  Next Recent Topics