Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
America's Next Top Model - modern orthodox jew contestant
  Previous  1  2  3 15  16  17  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 10:20 pm
kitchen designer wrote:
Maybe you can call that school orthodox - but they have no problem with the girls wearing pants on field trips and outside of school.
As I said, we're not talking about things like pants.
We're talking about not covering at all!

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 11:17 pm
Yeah, well, I've never really known anyone that thought "well, I guess since PANTS are muttar, I guess walking around in my undies is fine too".

louche

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 11:40 pm
chavamom wrote:
Yeah, well, I've never really known anyone that thought "well, I guess since PANTS are muttar, I guess walking around in my undies is fine too".

except in those parts of Britain where "pants" are what you wear under your Trousers. Saaaay...mebbe she's British (by way of J'lem) and that's what she thought!

Shalshelet

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 1:43 am
An interesting article to add to this discussion that seems to be at the top of the popular threads:

http://finkorswim.com/2010/10/.....ting/

not sure how legit the author is, but an interesting twist nonetheless. . .

zipporah

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 1:50 am
Shalshelet wrote:
An interesting article to add to this discussion that seems to be at the top of the popular threads:

It would sure be interesting to hear from this girl's mom in depth.

louche

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 7:56 am
zipporah wrote:
Shalshelet wrote:

It would sure be interesting to hear from this girl's mom in depth.

The article, and Mrs. Petrock, would have a great deal more credibility if they noted the actual question to which Esther answered "I would do it." To simply assert that she was quoted out of context clarifies nothing.

What would we expect her mother to say? "I am horrified and ashamed that my dd would even contemplate violating a commandment and can only assume she was fed hallucinogenic drugs before the show"? Please. convicted mass murderers' mothers get on the radio and insist that "....this was a miscarriage of justice. My son is a good boy and a good son. He is not a murderer. He is misunderstood. He never meant to kill anybody." Yeah, even when the person who was killed was the boy's father or brother. Because mothers defend their children; it's what we do.

superjew

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 8:52 am
Anyone saw the last episode (Oct 20)?? It showed how Esther had a separate cabinet for all her kosher foods & essentials. Other ANTM models commented on her keeping kosher. That was a great kiddush Hashem in my eyes. I do believe ANTM does a lot of editing in general and her answer "Id do it" is pretty brief for the question they had. There definitely was editing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 8:59 am
Unless she said "I don't think I'd do it", and they took the last 3 words.

sequoia

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 9:00 am
louche wrote:

What would we expect her mother to say? "I am horrified and ashamed that my dd would even contemplate violating a commandment and can only assume she was fed hallucinogenic drugs before the show"? Please. convicted mass murderers' mothers get on the radio and insist that "....this was a miscarriage of justice. My son is a good boy and a good son. He is not a murderer. He is misunderstood. He never meant to kill anybody." Yeah, even when the person who was killed was the boy's father or brother. Because mothers defend their children; it's what we do.

That doesn't mean everything a mother says about her daughter is by definition untrue.

louche

Post Fri, Oct 22 2010, 9:41 am
sequoia wrote:
louche wrote:

That doesn't mean everything a mother says about her daughter is by definition untrue.

I neither said that nor implied that. But anything a mother says about her child is by definition coming from a highly biased source, is therefore suspect, and therefore should not be taken as truth absent any kind of documentation. In this case, documentation could have been a description of the actual question that was asked and the actual answer that was given.

For all we know, the question could have been "If your employer expected you to donate ten percent of your time to an org that teaches cancer survivors how to apply makeup, would you do it?", in which case "I would do it" would hardly be a controversial answer.

Or regardless of the question, the full answer may have been "I would consult with my parents and rabbi, and if they said it was acceptable, I would do it." Or, on the flip side, it may have been "I would be very unhappy about it and would think about it for a long time, but if I couldn't see any other way of keeping my job, I would do it."

greentiger

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 7:24 pm
superjew wrote:
Anyone saw the last episode (Oct 20)?? It showed how Esther had a separate cabinet for all her kosher foods & essentials. Other ANTM models commented on her keeping kosher. That was a great kiddush Hashem in my eyes. I do believe ANTM does a lot of editing in general and her answer "Id do it" is pretty brief for the question they had. There definitely was editing.

Yes, and how she fries her burger on the bbq grill seperatly right next to the treif meat. I must say you have got to give her credit, but all the same she is a teenager exploring new ideas. I doubt halachah is her top priority now but she's trying to hold on to as much as she can.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 9:04 am
I guess what it comes down to for me, is I am not going to vilify her for things I nearly do.

I'm not careful with tznius - I don't parade around in my underwear, but I would wear a regular bathing suit to the beach. A bikini? No, but maybe that's because I'm fat LOL I really don't know.

It would kind of be like crucifying someone for buying non-kosher cheese but then "eating dairy out."

Also, I know a really nice young girl who is becoming a world class figure skater. She is 11 years old and climbing high (she's just about at the Junior National level in the US). She wears the traditional "skimpy" skating outfits. She happens to be an amazing person and sacrifices competitions for shabbos etc.

yummymummy

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 9:55 am
greentiger wrote:
superjew wrote:

Yes, and how she fries her burger on the bbq grill seperatly right next to the treif meat. I must say you have got to give her credit, but all the same she is a teenager exploring new ideas. I doubt halachah is her top priority now but she's trying to hold on to as much as she can.

Come now, surely we can be dan l'chaf zchus that this was another editing mistake. She was probably just checking Chris' burger to make sure it was fully cooked and the producers joined that chesed with her discussion about eating kosher since both scenes had to do with food.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 3:14 pm
yummymummy wrote:
greentiger wrote:
superjew wrote:

Come now, surely we can be dan l'chaf zchus that this was another editing mistake. She was probably just checking Chris' burger to make sure it was fully cooked and the producers joined that chesed with her discussion about eating kosher since both scenes had to do with food.

I don't know much about Maimonedes, but if its anything like Frisch, there is a contingent of students who call themselves Orthodox and really skirt the edge of halacha. Including knowledge - that's how they do it at home so its ok.

zipporah

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 3:19 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
yummymummy wrote:
greentiger wrote:
superjew wrote:

I don't know much about Maimonedes, but if its anything like Frisch, there is a contingent of students who call themselves Orthodox and really skirt the edge of halacha. Including knowledge - that's how they do it at home so its ok.

As a standard bearer for MO, she's doing so-so... but you gotta wonder how Maimonides is feeling right about now.

ysydmom

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 3:38 am
She is officially done on the show! She got kicked off bec. of a bad advertisement.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 10:13 am
I didn't watch it but read on the reviews that the models had to kiss a boy on the commercial. did she really do that?

yummymummy

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 10:16 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I didn't watch it but read on the reviews that the models had to kiss a boy on the commercial. did she really do that?

The boy kissed her neck, no heavy makeout session or anything. I thought she took her elimination very well and she said she plans on continuing to model.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 10:35 am
yummymummy wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

The boy kissed her neck, no heavy makeout session or anything. I thought she took her elimination very well and she said she plans on continuing to model.

She is such a loose looser LOL

saw50st8

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
yummymummy wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

She is such a loose looser LOL

what's a looser?
Page 16 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics