Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
9/11 and view of ordinary Americans

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:08 am
I was thinking about this over the weekend.

Aside from the villians, one thing that really stood out for me on 9/11 was the role of average, ordinary Americans who were affected.

They went out that morning as business people or waiters or fire fighters, and as mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, sons and daughters. Without warning, they were caught in this unimaginable horror. Some became its innocent victims. Some became heroes.

The horrible, distorted image that the terrorists had of America didn't reflect the reality of these ordinary people and their lives.

Even for me, as a Canadian, things changed at that date. I'm ashamed to say that I laughed at anti-American jokes before that. They stopped being funny on that date.

9 years later, it's just as important as ever that we remember the ordinary face of the victims and heroes, esp. as America is demonized abroad. We also need to challenge everyone to re-think media images of America, and even take a look at our own language.

It wasn't an immoral, decadent, corrupt, hateful society that was attacked. It was mothers and father, husbands and wives, sons and daughters, who had just started what they thought was going to be another ordinary day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics