Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
What is Gravy Master?

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:19 pm
Or Kitchen Bouquet? And what can I sub for them? I had never heard of this stuff before Family First included them in a recipe. I gather it's something you use to make gravy when your meat recipe isn't otherwise going to produce any, but what is its function? If I have gravy from other recipes, can I use it instead?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:26 pm
sarahd wrote:
Or Kitchen Bouquet? And what can I sub for them? I had never heard of this stuff before Family First included them in a recipe. I gather it's something you use to make gravy when your meat recipe isn't otherwise going to produce any, but what is its function? If I have gravy from other recipes, can I use it instead?

I saw that recipe too and it said there was a note about that ingredient, but I couldn't find the note.

I have seen both of those in the store (in spice/seasoning section), but I'd also like to know what I can substitute without buying that just for this recipe.

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:27 pm
sarahd wrote:

It's used to make your gravy brown and/or taste "better."

Here's the ingredient list (taken from the walmart website):
Ingredients: Ingredients: Made From Caramelized Sugar, Caramel Color, Water, Hydrolyzed Soy & Corn Protein, Apple Cider Vinegar, Salt & Spices (Onion, Celery, Parsley, Garlic). Contains No Meat

"Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein" are both glutamates - as in relatives of Monosodium glutamate (MSG).

That means it's got a flavor enhancer in it. I personally wouldn't use it. You can accomplish the same thing by adding some carmelized sugar (for color), salt, and above listed spices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics