Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What is wrong with my son?

YW123

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:54 pm
My four year old son is making crazy!. Can any of you experienced moms help me out here? Look at his "symptoms"

1.EATING- he refuses to taste any food. the ONLY food he SOMETIMES eats are salted crackers (only certain brand and shape), toast with margerine spray, and honey nut cheerios. He WOULD eat just about any type of nosh, though.

2.the minute he gets home from school, he takes off all his clothing from head to two, excluding underwear

3. goes crazy if he sees something "yucky" for example squashed food on the floor outside

My friends say he has sensory issues and I should get him evaluated. These symptoms are all new except the eating one has been around for over a year.

I am at wits end and don't know where to go from here. #1 issue is bothering me terribly, for I fear he is not healthy without the nutrients.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:56 pm
Definitely sensory issues. get him evaluated by an OT and Special educator, asap.

jaysmom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:56 pm
I can't tell you what is wrong with your son, but to be honest if my son were behaving like that I would get him evaluated.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:00 pm
You just described my son to a T. It most definitely sounds like a sensory disorder. I couldnt get therapy for my son, so his pediatrician gave me some tips to help him outgrow it.

1 - encourage him to play in the dirt/sandbox WITHOUT SHOES AND SOCKS. Get him accustomed to the texture.

2- Let him eat whatever he wants, but keep offering 'yucky' food - eventually he'll taste it.

3 - Let him run naked, but as time goes on, gently insist that one more article of clothes needs to be worn. Get him used to it SLOWLY.

It takes time, and eventually they outgrow most of it. My son (he's 4 1/2) can FINALLY stand to play in the dirt (after much coaxing) and although it makes a horrendous mess, it's good for him, so I dont mind. He used to hate the snow, so I got him really cute boots, shovels, pails, and stuff, and every time it snowed we went out to play. He still wont touch mushy foods, but we were working on it, and he now eats applesauce. PM me if you want - I've been dealing with this since he was born.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:03 pm
Another thing, play-dough is great for getting accustomed to 'squishy' feeling. So is baking cookies.

YW123

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:11 pm
OP here. Firstly, omg thanks everyone for helping me out and so quickly! Secondly I wanted to add that the thing that puzzles me is that most of this is relatively new. Meaning, he never showed any signs of sensory problems before. Except for the picky eating, I would say this is going on 5-6 months. Any ideas why? Also he used to be extremely sociable and outgoing; now he is shy and so so so worried that I am gonna leave him without telling him. He is constantly asking me: "mommy, are you here?" He is also starting to be a perfectionist. Like if I don't put the phone back on the base he will take it and put it back to its place. I sincerely appreciate you all so much!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:15 pm
I PM'ed you.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 1:02 am
YW123 wrote:
OP here. Firstly, omg thanks everyone for helping me out and so quickly! Secondly I wanted to add that the thing that puzzles me is that most of this is relatively new. Meaning, he never showed any signs of sensory problems before. Except for the picky eating, I would say this is going on 5-6 months. Any ideas why? Also he used to be extremely sociable and outgoing; now he is shy and so so so worried that I am gonna leave him without telling him. He is constantly asking me: "mommy, are you here?" He is also starting to be a perfectionist. Like if I don't put the phone back on the base he will take it and put it back to its place. I sincerely appreciate you all so much!
As the mom to a child with sensory intergration issues, I can say that it definately sounds sensory.
What worries me though is that this is all new, and that he is starting to be a perfectionist.
Did your son have strep around the time these issues started? The reason I ask is because there is something called PANDAS syndrome which might be something to look into.

hannah95

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 1:19 am
Maybe it's just a phase he's going through ?
One of my nephews had something like this for a while, he would undress when coming back home, had no appetite for food, wouldn't play in case he got dirty, wouldn't touch anything new. We talked to him quiet a lot and tried to make him stop and try new things, and it finally turned out that the toilets at school were in awful condition, and were not cleaned a lot, and he was freaked out by this and something he read about germs and illness. Some kind of anxiety.
It took a little time to explain and make him realize eveything was fine, I think he went to the child therapist a couple of times, and he got some very formal explanations from our family doctor about germs. He finally got over it. He was about 7 when he went through that.

Israeli Mother

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
As the mom to a child with sensory intergration issues, I can say that it definately sounds sensory.
What worries me though is that this is all new, and that he is starting to be a perfectionist.
Did your son have strep around the time these issues started? The reason I ask is because there is something called PANDAS syndrome which might be something to look into.

I second this. I thought strep the minute I saw it.

As for being a picky eater, you must give him a good quality multi-vitamin to ensure that he is getting all of the nutrients that he needs. Generally, I advise against giving vitamins in favor of a healthy diet, but if your child just isn't eating properly he must be taking a multi-vitamin in order to ensure that he is getting a minimum amount of necessary nutrients and so that you won't have to feel as worried about his bad eating habits.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:30 am
Sensory intergration issues, matches my boy to a "T". Started throwing off his clothes recently, the second he gets home. That's a new development but we know what to look for. Food: he was THE BEST eater until less than a year ago. I tried all the developmental things when he was a baby, because we have a history. He would not touch shaving cream, finger paints even as a toddler. OT helps, but what we found is that growing up and maturing neurologically is the most help. And that takes time.

YW123

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 10:41 am
op here. OH MY GOODNESS!! I have spent my entire morning researching PANDAS syndrome. His symptoms are so exactly those of pandas syndrome, that I have goosebumps running up and down my body! Rubbing the face, talking like a baby, seperation anxiety, sleep problems, tics, shouting episodes, clearing his throat like hmm all day.....I AM SO SCARED. I was supposed to go to the dr. tomorrow morning but I just called back and told them I want him to be seen today! I hope this wont have any permenant neurological effects in the future. Until I meet with dr. today, I MUST THANK IMAMOTHER.COM because I would NEVER have thought of this!! Thank you fellow mothers who took the time to look at my post. I will keep you posted.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 12:06 pm
YW123 wrote:
op here. OH MY GOODNESS!! I have spent my entire morning researching PANDAS syndrome. His symptoms are so exactly those of pandas syndrome, that I have goosebumps running up and down my body! Rubbing the face, talking like a baby, seperation anxiety, sleep problems, tics, shouting episodes, clearing his throat like hmm all day.....I AM SO SCARED. I was supposed to go to the dr. tomorrow morning but I just called back and told them I want him to be seen today! I hope this wont have any permenant neurological effects in the future. Until I meet with dr. today, I MUST THANK IMAMOTHER.COM because I would NEVER have thought of this!! Thank you fellow mothers who took the time to look at my post. I will keep you posted.
Hug
Let us know what your pediatrician says.

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 12:33 pm
Yeah, I read it and thought - PANDAS.

I have a good friend who has a child diagnosed with PANDAS. it's not the end of the world - it's generally treatable. Smile

HUGS!

YW123

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 8:06 pm
op here. so I took him tonight to the dr. who said the following: alot of ppl misdiagnose pandas. he says my son does not have pandas or atleast he doesnt think so. he is sending us for a complete blood work up, took a lead test and we will wait for the results...thanks moms!

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 9:45 pm
If it ends up being sensory issues, PLEASE get him into therapy the sooner the better. Such sensory issues, if not dealt with, can sometimes get worse over time.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 10:56 pm
Good luck and keep us posted!

I hope you figure out what the problem is and get the treatment he needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics