Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Jamie’s American Food Revolution

hannah95

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 8:07 am
I just watched the first episode of Jamie Oliver (the cook) in America.

The show is about how he tries to make a community eat better and healthier by going into the schools and families and teaching them about nutrition, recipes and everything.

I was pretty suprised by the reaction they showcased from the American people. I understand the show is edited to show things in a certain way, but still I was very suprised at some things.

For example, the school serves breakfast and lunch. I didn't understand if it was a public school or a private one, since a Pastor was involved in the school, I'm guessing private ?

For breakfast the kids were served pizza. And fried chicken nuggets, chocolate or strawberry milk, and bread for lunch. I'm fat myself, so I may not be the best at nutrition, but I expect my kids to be fed proper balanced meal when I send them to school or to camp. And the menus were all approved by an American Agricultural Association (or something like that, can't remember the right words now).

Is this menu considered normal in PS and non jewish schools ? Is pizza a breakfast thing ?

I'm not bashing at all american people here, I have american friends, they all know the difference between good nutrition and junk, but my question is how on earth can a school be approved for serving such menus ?

I would love to read your reactions if you watched the show Smile

If you are intersted, you can watch the show here http://www.watchseries-online.......html
It's a clean show.

Smile

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 9:02 am
My son that is in public school goes to a school that serves breakfast and lunch. And yes, the fare you describe is pretty typical. I forget when the trend started, but the school cafeterias of old are gone, and most of the stuff is now frozen, prepacked food that doesn't have to be cooked, just heated. I believe Supersize Me (the documentary) has a section on this?

bluebird

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 9:51 am
I went to public school in the northeast US in the late eighties/early nineties. Soda and pizza were brought into my highschool around 1991/1992. At the time, it was done as a cost-saving measure—it was cheaper to have Pizza Hut bring in food than for the school to make it. Prior to that the school wanted to eliminated lunch two days a week and provide vending machines to students instead. It was pathetic.

It's become sadly normal since then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics