Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Exclusiveley nursing yom kippur
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 5:03 pm
I am exclusivel nursing my 8 month old. he nurses VERY often and when I dont nurse for more then 5 hours it starts to hurt and can cause infections. I also get VERY thirsty while nursing. I . on tisha baav I almost fainted so I had to break the fast but I am wondering what happens on yom kippur if I feel this way? I w ill be home all day with my baby alone while husband is in shul. What do I do abotu yom kippur?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 9:36 pm
Firstly, you drink water starting this minute for the next few days. Tons and tons and tons of water. 3 days of drinking liking this helps IMMENSELY.

Secondly, you speak to your rav. Perhaps your husband should come home from shul to let you lie down as your avodah of fasting likely takes precedence over his avoda of davening a full day in shul. Find out what to do.

mosma

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 11:08 pm
I'm in the same position, only my baby is 7 weeks, nurses every 3 hours, and is obviously not on solids. she won't take a bottle (we've been trying) and I'm going to be stuck at home with her and my 5 year old (slightly hyperactive) son.
very very worried.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 11:16 pm
My baby was born tisha b'av last year. I obviously had to fast on yom kippur. Last minute we decided to go to my parents. I knew I would have to feed her so I made sure I had pumped milk. She refused to take any of it so I ended up nursing her throughout the day. And she nursed for 45 minutes every 2 hours! I promise you I couldnt move. My mother was afraid to leave me home alone because I didnt have the strength to even hold my baby. My point is not to scare you but if you can, go to someone who might be able to help you in case of an emergency. I am so thankful I went so I was able to get help

mommalah

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 11:16 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Firstly, you drink water starting this minute for the next few days. Tons and tons and tons of water. 3 days of drinking liking this helps IMMENSELY.

Secondly, you speak to your rav. Perhaps your husband should come home from shul to let you lie down as your avodah of fasting likely takes precedence over his avoda of davening a full day in shul. Find out what to do.

So many people on this site talking about a nursing mom preparing for a fast by drinking tons of water days in advance of the fast. Do you really think it helps?

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:11 am
I'm already drinking tons of water just to get through the day normally. I can't imagine what it'll be like having to fast Sad
I'm trying to speak to my rav about getting a heter for drinking.
My baby is only 3 weeks old.

Miry613

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:19 am
Kol hakavod for everyone who is breastfeeding and fasting for Kippur....I cannot immagine that HaShem actualy want that a nursing mother should fast, this is not an normal situation, a person who's healthy and not breastfeeding should fast!!!! That's my opinion...but I am not a rav hehe!!!!

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:23 am
I usually fast fine while pregnant or nursing.
When nursing, I only notice a dip in supply towards the afternoon which is usually back to normal by the next day.
But this time I'm only 3 weeks after birth, not 100% recovered yet, and my milk supply is far from balanced at this point. Yeah I'm scared.

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:36 am
If I drink any more water than I already do I will spend my day in the bathroom...which will not be helpful to anyone! Maybe this will be a good time to start solids? But really, he's only 4 months old, so I'm not ready to introduce food.

shabri

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:54 am
Zus wrote:
I usually fast fine while pregnant or nursing.
When nursing, I only notice a dip in supply towards the afternoon which is usually back to normal by the next day.
But this time I'm only 3 weeks after birth, not 100% recovered yet, and my milk supply is far from balanced at this point. Yeah I'm scared.

You should def speak to your rav. I think that within 30 days of childbirth there is a lot more room to get a heter.

I'm nervous b/c I am ebf my 8 week old. Last time I had to fast with such a little baby was with my 1st. Now I have the baby, a 22 month old and a 3 yr old. I've been drinking 3+ liters a day all week and trying to up it to 4 today & tom.

mosma

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 9:29 am
I'm not sure I can drink more water than I already do either.
do you think the kali tzom help? they've never done a thing when I was pregnant. maybe it's a mental thing. anyone ever try it while nursing?
I'm more worried about taking care of my 5 year old while I'm weak and in bed and bf'ing than being weak and in bed and bf'ing!

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 9:35 am
mosma wrote:
I'm not sure I can drink more water than I already do either.
do you think the kali tzom help? they've never done a thing when I was pregnant. maybe it's a mental thing. anyone ever try it while nursing?
I'm more worried about taking care of my 5 year old while I'm weak and in bed and bf'ing than being weak and in bed and bf'ing!

I use kali tzom and really found that it did help

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 9:40 am
mommalah wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

So many people on this site talking about a nursing mom preparing for a fast by drinking tons of water days in advance of the fast. Do you really think it helps?
YES.
Put it this way, as thirsty as I get when nursing, when I started drinking 2-3 liters of water for 3 days before a fast, I fasted better despite nursing than I did as a teenager.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 9:42 am
You CAN drink more water than usual. It doesn't seem possible, but you do it anyway. I usually drink about 8-10 cups a day. Before a fast, I drink a whole lot more than that. And yes, I spend a ton of time running in and out of the bathroom, but I come into the taanis so hydrated from the inside out that my body has reserves to help me through it longer.

Rebshosh

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 9:50 am
If your baby won't take bottles you can try cup feeding. Many babies will take breastmilk from a cup even at a very young age.

maofboys

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 9:51 am
My son is now 5 but he was also born about 2 1/2 weeks before yom kipper. I B"H am an easy faster but I nursed him all day and stayed home. I am not saying not to speak to your rav but many people are in your situation and still need to fast. Be'ezrat hashem in the zechus of your difficult fast all your tefillot should be answered ltova. I agree with the mom that said maybe go to a family or friend that could help you, or have your husband come home for a while so you could sleep...
I found nursing a baby and fasting much easier then having young kids running around and fasting. so if this is your first child get ready for more difficult yom kippers.

Chavelamomela

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:02 am
Zus wrote:
I'm already drinking tons of water just to get through the day normally. I can't imagine what it'll be like having to fast Sad
I'm trying to speak to my rav about getting a heter for drinking.
My baby is only 3 weeks old.

If you're within 30 days of delivery there definite halachic precedence not to fast. AYLOR.

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:18 am
Trying to reach him.

MamaBird

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:33 am
I nursed my 6 month old dd on YK and almost passed out at the end. I ended up freaking out on my kitchen floor watching the clock. (not so much fun.) so this time, I'm pumping for my 7 month old in advance. I'm also going to drink, although I'm not sure drinking water for days in advance actually helps since your body constantly removes its water content. I am also definitely of the opinion that a rav must be consulted before YK, if only to ease your mind so you don't worry that you'll get weak and also worry b/c you don't know what to do.

mimimom

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:40 am
Getting fully hydrated--which entails drinking more in the days before--does help. Bear in mind that if you drink huge amounts close to the fast, rather than spacing it out, it can end up dehydrating you!!! Your body throws off the excess and then some. So the advice here is exactly right; start drinking even more for several days. (This is good advice for everyone. I'm going to fill my water bottle right now!)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions