Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Miraculous - a girl with autism finds her voice
1  2  Next

gardengirl

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 10:29 pm
So inspiring.

http://wimp.com/autisticgirl/

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 10:53 pm
Wow. Some of the stuff she says are so profound that it makes me skeptical that she wrote all that. The language she uses is brilliant and I'm surprised she's aware of so many words at the age of 11.

smilingmom

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 11:04 pm
Amazing!! Thanks for sharing

smilingmom

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 11:11 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Wow. Some of the stuff she says are so profound that it makes me skeptical that she wrote all that. The language she uses is brilliant and I'm surprised she's aware of so many words at the age of 11.

I checked out her current info. She is extremely bright and in advanced classes for all subjects'

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 11:31 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
my thoughts exactly

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 2:43 am
Wow!

ora_43

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:35 am
I'm also skeptical. It would help if they showed a video of her typing, sped up if necessary. As is, you can just see that she hits keys and that at some point words appear, but it's not so clear she's actually writing.

I'm surprised not because she's supposedly typing this at age 11-14, but because she's supposedly tying this as someone autistic. I've been around people who are mildly to moderately autistic but can express themselves through speech or tying. I cannot imagine them talking about their own emotional experience, or what it might be that someone else is thinking about them, or the greater social implications of whatever. The whole problem with autism is that they aren't really able to understand/be a part of normal social behavior or interaction.

This girl sounds totally socially normal. She cares what people think about her, she understands what it is they might be thinking, she speaks as if she's a spokesperson for all kids with autism (understanding the greater social good, etc), she asks if a man is cute. Even if she weren't autistic it'd be bizarre for her to sound so socially normal after a lifetime spent in therapy to learn basic skills instead of hanging around kids her own age. With the autism? It's incredible, in a possibly untrue kind of way.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:01 am
I'm having a hard time believing she typed all that. Notice that she refused to type for hours for the reporter. Some of these things were probably prompted, dictated, or cobbled together from days or weeks of typing.
Also, this girl is more than autistic, she is definitely mentally [crazy]. Not all autistic kids rock and flail and act as aggressively as she does.
On the upside, even if she didnt write all those profound messages, even if she can just communicate basically by typing that's a major plus for a child that can't speak.

Inspired

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:28 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm having a hard time believing she typed all that. Notice that she refused to type for hours for the reporter. Some of these things were probably prompted, dictated, or cobbled together from days or weeks of typing.
Also, this girl is more than autistic, she is definitely mentally [crazy]. Not all autistic kids rock and flail and act as aggressively as she does.
On the upside, even if she didnt write all those profound messages, even if she can just communicate basically by typing that's a major plus for a child that can't speak.

What does intense stimming have to do with mental retardation?
I have read books written by people with autism. I totally believe it.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:40 am
Inspired - you havent read books by people with this degree of autism. Temple Grandin, for instance, has asperger's - not severe, non-verbal autism.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:43 am
Self stimulatory behaviors have nothing to do mental retardation. Being non verbal has nothing to do with mental retardation. They may come hand in hand often, but you can't draw conclusions like that.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:03 am
She may have typed a lot but I doubt she wrote all that. I won't be surprised if she had help typing some stuff. She does seem happier after finding a way to communicate.

Inspired- I truly do not believe a lot of the books coming from your part of town that autistic kids wrote. Temple G's books I do believe though because she is high functioning and saw enough to believe it.

Self stimming behaviorsdoes usually come with a lot of autistic children. Part of autism can also be mental retardation.

Inspired

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:04 am
flowerpower wrote:
She may have typed a lot but I doubt she wrote all that. I won't be surprised if she had help typing some stuff. She does seem happier after finding a way to communicate.

Inspired- I truly do not believe a lot of the books coming from your part of town that autistic kids wrote. Temple G's books I do believe though because she is high functioning and saw enough to believe it.

Self stimming behaviorsdoes usually come with a lot of autistic children. Part of autism can also be mental retardation.

?? where is that?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:06 am
See location under your screen name.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:06 am
I'm not skeptical because of her behavior. I am skeptical because of her language level. Humankind etc... her perception seems way above someone who's been living the way she did.

Inspired

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:32 am
Some things I googled up for you:
http://www.autismteachingtools.....bbbzn

Inspired

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:34 am
flowerpower wrote:
See location under your screen name.
\
I don't read hebrew books for pleasure. No idea what you are talking about.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:40 am
life'sgreat wrote:
I'm not skeptical because of her behavior. I am skeptical because of her language level. Humankind etc... her perception seems way above someone who's been living the way she did.

I feel just the opposite. I feel that these children soak up so much more from the world around them, their brains work so much differently than a regular functioning persons does. I am not at all surprised at her language level, fluency and spelling. The video may have been edited some, but it still is a believable thing to happen.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:41 am
btw I recently worked with a non verbal boy who used to spell out words in the air with his finger. he also had a number of self-stim behaviors. he was 2.5 years old. I would definitely not classify him as [crazy].

Inspired

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:51 am
Beauty and the Beast wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

I feel just the opposite. I feel that these children soak up so much more from the world around them, their brains work so much differently than a regular functioning persons does. I am not at all surprised at her language level, fluency and spelling. The video may have been edited some, but it still is a believable thing to happen.

I feel the same as you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links