Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Help! My first Yom Kippur with a child!

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 3:26 pm
I am a bit nervous about this Yom Kippur as I will be with my 8 month old child- how can I have a meaningful Yom Kippur while taking care of her? We'll be in a new place since we want to check out the area and if we could live there, so I don't have friends or family around- I bought Mishpacha and Binah but am afraid I will get bored instead of inspired. Or worse, hungry! Can anyone advice how to make the day meaningful?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 3:30 pm
the easiest yom kippur is when you only have one child! You can daven all tefillos, say a bunch of tehillim, and read! I have 2 kids and hardly expect to daven... it's hard enough to fast!

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 3:40 pm
This is my second 3rd year w/ kids on Y"K. I really drill into my head that taking care of my child is my job now! That is how Hashem wants me to serve Him!!

With a 8 mo old you should still be able to daven a lot of the tefillos. I would get an english yet inspirational book (whatever speaks to you) to read instead of just passing the time reading assorted articles. I know yechiel spiro (of touched by a story) put out a new book recently & I'm reading Holy Woman (about the most mussar my brain can handle right now!).

sarahrut87

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 3:58 pm
I don't know if you're nursing or not. Last year was also my first year with a child (the year before I was in my first trimester and fasting and that proved very difficult). My son, at the time was about 4 months old and I was nursing full time. I found it very draining and difficult to fast and nurse but I got through it. Mind you, I was only able to daven shacrit and mussaf. I had no milk by the end and could hardly sit up. However, my 4 month old was great, just had a lot of tummy time.
However, for an 8th month old it depends on if your baby is moving at all. If your baby is not crawling or rolling than it will be much easier on you because you won't have to chase after him/ or her I don't now what gender your baby is sorry. All the same, hatzlacha.
I know that I'm worried as well because B"H my son is not almost 16 months old and I will need to run after him and I"m 9 months pregnant, due today actually, and am not looking forward to the whole process. I'll try my best to daven and B"H the fast won't induce labor until later so I won't have to pull my husband out of shul on yom kipor. All the same, hatzlacha!!!

sunny90

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:16 pm
B"H, I also have the same "problem".
My 9 month old DS is ka"h VERY active (as in, crawling all over the place, cruising, and standing up) and I don't know how I'm going to have an inspirational Yom Kippur. Is it really okay, do you think, to just read an inspirational Jewish book? I wasn't sure if it was appropriate or if I should just spend my time thinking repentant thoughts (JK--kind of). Wink
I can only really daven when my DS is sleeping, but OH how I wish I would be able to be in shul for Neilah! That makes the whole Yom Kippur for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur