Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Pretty amazing....
1  2  Next

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 6:25 am
The whole country is shutting down. Airport, buses, everything. That's a pretty amazing thing for a whole country.
Gmar Chatima Tova. My Arab plumber wished me "Chatima Tova" yesterday LOL .

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 7:50 am
LOL

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 9:03 am
You're so lucky you get to be there to see it. Here, Yom Kippur looks the same as every other day of the year. Sad

LibraMommy

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 10:54 am
Awesome, Tamiri!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 12:37 pm
that's very nice !

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 11:17 am
and supposedly it's AGAINST THE LAW for private vehicles to be operated on YK. I didn't know that (or maybe I did and forgot) - I thought it's just "minhag". YK really is very beautiful here. I was thinking that it's more of a "light" day than a "dark" day. It's hard to explain, maybe it's my age creeping up on me.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 11:34 am
Tamiri wrote:
and supposedly it's AGAINST THE LAW for private vehicles to be operated on YK. I didn't know that (or maybe I did and forgot) - I thought it's just "minhag". YK really is very beautiful here. I was thinking that it's more of a "light" day than a "dark" day. It's hard to explain, maybe it's my age creeping up on me.
Smile its so funny because last night and today there were soooooooo many parents with children on bikes in the middle of the road, not the sidewalk Smile

I did not see one car at all since right before the fast. I didnt realize that it was illegal to drive on YK. interesting.

grace413

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 11:35 am
It is special here. Yesterday I went to get gas and the attendant wished me Gmar Hatima Tova.

Also all the Israeli TV channels shut down from about 2pm Erev Yom Kippur til about 8 pm Motzei Yom Kippur.

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:14 pm
I also heard that driving was illegal, and I always knew no one drives on YK in Israel. Therefore, I was very surprised to hear a bunch of cars on the main street near my house today. Hopefully they were Arabs...

freidasima

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:22 pm
You MUST be kididng.
1) it's not illegal as far as I know.
2) Unfortunately there are lots of places where people and I don't mean Arabs will be driving on YK. Just listen to this evening's news about what happened at the Palmachim Beach....
3) For many israelis it is "hag haofanayim" and parents even go out erev YK to buy their secular children new bicycles which they will ride on YK in the empty city streets. I even have secular friends who tell stories of when they were children in the 1950s and early 1960s and their "fun" was to ride the bicycle up the stairs of the nearby shul (which they never entered being militant secular Jews). All that ended for a few years after 1973, I remember those years...but then we got further away from the Yom Kippur War and the militant secularists started up again...oh well...

Tamiri living out where you do it's a closed enclave. Try a major city outside of Yerushalayaim, you will find things in the periphery which you prefer not to know about on YK...

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:26 pm
freidasima wrote:
You MUST be kididng.
2) Unfortunately there are lots of places where people and I don't mean Arabs will be driving on YK. Just listen to this evening's news about what happened at the Palmachim Beach....
3) For many israelis it is "hag haofanayim" and parents even go out erev YK to buy their secular children new bicycles which they will ride on YK in the empty city streets. I even have secular friends who tell stories of when they were children in the 1950s and early 1960s and their "fun" was to ride the bicycle up the stairs of the nearby shul (which they never entered being militant secular Jews). All that ended for a few years after 1973, I remember those years...but then we got further away from the Yom Kippur War and the militant secularists started up again...oh well...

Tamiri living out where you do it's a closed enclave. Try a major city outside of Yerushalayaim, you will find things in the periphery which you prefer not to know about on YK...
FS, I live in modiin, and in the area where I live, and there are a looooooooooooot of secualr jews here, I did not see one car all yom kippur, so it really depends on where you are, I guess.

freidasima

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:34 pm
Try downtown Haifa. Try any of the roads near secular kibbutzim. Try outside Rishon...how did you think they got to Palmachim beach? They flew? And the 16 year old with the stolen car that the police caught last night coming out of the beach? And the four drivers who tested dead drunk leaving the beach? halevai that no one would drive but...it's just getting worse as the years past, various groups, particularly young immigrants or children of, who don't really feel any connection to the Jewish religion...

Isramom8

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:37 pm
NO cars in my busy, largely secular city (and I walked about half an hour to our kollel minyan). Lots of bikes. Everyone in white, whether tzanua or not. I love the white Crocs! If I buy a pair maybe I'll change my avatar...

Before Rosh Hashana I wished a secular woman a ketiva vachatima tova. She was annoyed, but not because I gave her a bracha. She just said that she is only up to the ketiva, and just give her a few more days to get ready for a chatima...

RachelB

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:38 pm
I lived in Eilat (many years ago) and nothing was closed on Y"K- cars were driving, McDonald's selling cheeseburgers-business as usual.
Where I live now- yes, it's pretty special, even "chiloni" neighbors went to schul and fasted.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:57 pm
freidasima wrote:
You MUST be kididng.

My DS's Rabbi told him that he crosses Geha without looking. I asked DS where said rabbi is supposed to be going on YK. Bnai Brak to Givat Shmuel? DS said the Rabbi "has lots of shuls" but this particular DS is gullible. However, I do believe the Rav made that statement. I grew up in PT - no cars there (I was there for YK last year) and it's certainly no enclave. Where I live now is no religious enclave either - the chilonim were out on bikes.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 12:59 pm
freidasima wrote:
Try downtown Haifa. Try any of the roads near secular kibbutzim. Try outside Rishon...how did you think they got to Palmachim beach? They flew? And the 16 year old with the stolen car that the police caught last night coming out of the beach? And the four drivers who tested dead drunk leaving the beach? halevai that no one would drive but...it's just getting worse as the years past, various groups, particularly young immigrants or children of, who don't really feel any connection to the Jewish religion...
People steal too, and that's illegal. The point was that it's illegal, not that no one does it. There will always be scofflaws.

freidasima

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 2:34 pm
Tamiri, just checked it out, I don't know where you got your info from but it is not ILLEGAL to drive on YK anywhere in the sovereign state of Israel. Its not recommended simply because there are a lot of places that you will be pelted with stones if you do it...

shalhevet

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 2:38 pm
No cars here either, despite a large % not religious. I don't think the bicycle riders got a heter from their LOR LOL but it still brings tears to my eyes every time 'mi k'amcha Yisroel!'

I don't know if it's illegal - I thought it's just "not done".

Liba

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 2:49 pm
There were no cars here either. It was neither exciting or different though.

Zus

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 3:03 pm
Yes it's great to see how the whole country shuts down for YK but it also makes me very sad. It should be like that every week for shabat Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur