Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Win a million dollars! Prize for best answer!

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 9:06 pm
Just joking. No prize. But maybe someone can satasfy my cuoriosity anyway.

I understand the purpose of Succos is to remember the huts B'nei Yisroel lived in in the Midbar. That explains the Succah' role, but why do we take the Arbah Minim and shake them? Why is there a day called Hoshana Raba and why do we bang Hoshanos on the floor, of all strange things to do?

And my last question for now: When we Klap Hoshanos, we say, "Kol Mevaser Mevaser V'Omer." A voice is telling us news and saying... what? Why don't we continue and say what news the voice is saying? What is the news anyway?

Any ideas are welcome.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 9:19 am
Bump.

mother48

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 9:34 am
Here's a link to the chabad.org sukkos site. All the info is there:

http://www.chabad.org/generic_.....h.htm

Good Yom Tov!!

mother48

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 9:37 am
I gotta say, I kinda wanted the million dollars...but I'll settle for some cleaning help:)

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:25 am
Thanks for posting the link. I'll have to go through the web-site more thoroughly when I have time, but so far, I've found explanations about what the Arbah Minim are and why we eat in the Succah. But the only answer I've found to any of my questions was:

"The custom of beating the willows on the ground has great mystical meaning known only to the very wise who merit the knowledge of these secrets. Those who have no understanding of the esoteric should have the intent of following the custom of the Prophets and Sages of all generations."

I'm still looking for more. Is it on the web site? Maybe I just didn't see it yet.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 12:40 pm
Here are some answer's from Aish.com. I know they are not so detailed that they answer all your questions directly, but maybe they can help you and start you off.

http://www.aish.com/h/su/dits/62549892.html
http://www.aish.com/tp/b/lp/48969021.html

why do we take the Arbah Minim and shake them?
Quote:
The Torah commands us to take four specific species on the first day of Sukkot. (Today we take them all seven days.)

Quote:
We lift them together with the Esrog and shake it in all directions, as a symbol of God's mastery over all Creation.

Quote:
Our sages offer different explanations of the symbolism of the four species.

(1) One explanation is a reference to the body parts. The etrog is the shape of a heart, the lulav is like a backbone (spinal cord), the leaves of the myrtle resemble the eyes, and the willow leaves are the mouth. These are the organs that can be misused for negative behavior. The eyes see, the heart desires, the body reacts, and the mouth speaks. We dedicate all our activities to serving the Almighty - above and below and in all four directions.

(2) Another explanation is that the four species correspond to the various types of Jews. The etrog contains a good smell and taste (when made into jelly) and symbolizes the Jew with Torah knowledge and who performs good deeds. The palm tree that grows dates (not coconuts) has a good taste but no smell - I.e. one with Torah knowledge but lacking good deeds. The myrtle has a beautiful aroma, but no taste - symbolizing one who always does good deeds, but lacks Torah knowledge. The willow has no taste and no smell - representing the Jew lacking both knowledge and deeds.

We put all types of Jews together and wave them in all directions, because every Jew can relate to the Almighty no matter where he is coming from. The etrog (in the left hand) rubs against the willow (on the left side of the lulav) and some of its beautiful aroma is absorbed by the willow. This symbolizes the tzaddik, reaching out to spread Torah among the masses. As the aroma rubs off, when you smell the willow, it smells like an etrog.

(3) Rabbi Hirsch explains the symbolism of the four species as follows: The etrog gives sustenance and has an aroma. This symbolizes things in nature that require no finishing touches by man - such as air, light and beauty. The lulav is sustenance without aroma. The myrtle is aroma without sustenance. The lulav and myrtle symbolize things in nature that man has to extract benefit from, such as food. The willow has no aroma and no sustenance. This symbolizes things that man must exercise mastery and skill, as nature supplies only the raw materials, such as dwelling, clothing and utensils. We take all these resources before God and acclaim that God gives us all that is good in life. Cling to them as a means of living in the presence of God according to His will. Rejoice in them before God as a means of fulfilling your duty.

Why is there a day called Hoshana Raba and why do we bang Hoshanos on the floor, of all strange things to do?
Quote:
Hoshana Rabba is known as the day of the final sealing of judgment which began on Rosh Hashana.

Quote:
In Temple times, they would surround the altar with the four species every day of Sukkot, and on the last day of Sukkot a special encircling with the willow alone. Today we surround the bima where the Torah is read, since our reading is in place of the offerings brought on the altar..

Quote:
We have a kabbalistic custom to beat the willow on the floor five times. We intend to banish evil decrees, and awaken the love between God and the Jewish people. It also hints to the atonement of our sins and the "g'mar chatima" (final decree)..

When we Klap Hoshanos, we say, "Kol Mevaser Mevaser V'Omer." A voice is telling us news and saying... what? Why don't we continue and say what news the voice is saying? What is the news anyway?

I can try to find out what the answer to this is.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 1:47 pm
That was pretty good. I still challenge someone to answer my last question.

Also, I know that the Lulav and Esrog can symbolize many things and that we shake them in all directions because Hashem is everywhere. But there are many things that could symbolize the same things. Why do we take these specific Minim, and why on Succos? Why don't we shake them on Pesach or Shavuos instead? Or maybe Tu B'Shvat would seem like a better time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics