Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Does anyone use an oven to heat food on shabbos/yt lunch?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:02 am
If so, how do you do it?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:14 am
Shabbat -no. AFAIK you can't use an oven for lunch unless you put the cholent in before Shabbat and open the oven ONCE to take it out.
YT I leave my oven on 230 F for the whole chag and can do what I want as long as I don't change the electronic setting. 230F is a great reheating temp.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:14 am
Only on YT, when cooking is allowed. I leave my oven on a low setting (I actually have mine on Shabbos clock, and it goes on a couple of hours before the seuda) Then I put the food in around 2-3 hours before I need it.

bubby

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:18 am
If you ask a Rav & he says it's OK, make sure to tell us!

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:23 am
if you have a really old fashioned oven you can probably use it on shabbos. Modern ones automatically increase the temperature when you open the door. (I guess you could set a timer to go off before lunch)

For yom tov this is not a problem so you can use an oven, but beware some ovens turn off automatically after 10 or 12 hours.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:26 am
Raisin wrote:
if you have a really old fashioned oven you can probably use it on shabbos. .
Raisin wouldn't there still be an issue of hatmana?

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:33 am
Tamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:
if you have a really old fashioned oven you can probably use it on shabbos. .
Raisin wouldn't there still be an issue of hatmana?

weren't ovens traditionally used for cholent? But I don't think anyone has really old fashioned ovens now anyway.

never heard of hatmana before this. I had to google it. But I am still confused.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:35 am
They put the cholent in BEFORE Shabbat and opened the door ONCE. If people used a communal oven, such as the baker's oven, which was not fueled during Shabbat and the fire burned down, maybe then people could put things in the oven to heat food up?

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:37 am
As far as I learned, you can take something out of the oven (ie: the chullent, or Friday night meal), but you can't put anything IN the oven on Shabbot because it (can't remember the name of the catagory in Hebrew) looks like cooking. My MIL puts her oven on a timer so it is totally off when she removes the food Friday night (therefore the temp is not raising when she opens the door).

I think I learned if you use a metal insert you can use the oven on Shabbot, becuase it solves the problem (no one cooks putting their food in a big black insert usually, except maybe Pesach LOL )

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:39 am
Raisin wrote:
if you have a really old fashioned oven you can probably use it on shabbos. Modern ones automatically increase the temperature when you open the door. (I guess you could set a timer to go off before lunch)

For yom tov this is not a problem so you can use an oven, but beware some ovens turn off automatically after 10 or 12 hours.

Same with refrigerators, and yet so many people don't understand that you have to turn off the motor or modulator or whatever it is on the refrigerator for Shabbos.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:44 am
Interesting thread.

So what if you leave something in the oven since before Shabbos on a very low temp. Can you take it out on Shabbos lunch if you have a timer shut the oven off beforehand?

Also, for Yom Tov, what about the light on the oven? Does it matter that when you open the door and the temperature goes on a light goes on with it?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:46 am
amother wrote:
Interesting thread.

So what if you leave something in the oven since before Shabbos on a very low temp. Can you take it out on Shabbos lunch if you have a timer shut the oven off beforehand?

Also, for Yom Tov, what about the light on the oven? Does it matter that when you open the door and the temperature goes on a light goes on with it?
Why would you need it on a timer if you open the door once and take out all the food? Re: the light needs to be disconnected, same as the fridge.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:50 am
I use an oven occasionally on YT I'll put it on a timer and cook in it.
My mother leaves her oven on a timer before shabbat and that's how she keeps the food for Friday night warm.
I understand that under certain conditions it is possible to use the oven as on shabbat and it will not be considered hatmana. This is a question for a rav, not a public opinion poll.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:53 am
I'm afraid to ask, but I don't understand what the problem is.

We have the oven on a Shabbat clock so it turns on for a period of ~1.5 hours and then off again. We put the food (cooked and covered, but cold b/c it just came from the refrigerator) in beforehand with the oven set at a low temperature (below cooking temp.). We don't open the oven at all until the oven is off.

My ILs have been doing this for decades.
Where is the problem with this? Scratching Head

Edited to add: Electric oven, not gas oven.

Last edited by DrMom on Mon, Sep 20 2010, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:53 am
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
Interesting thread.

Why would you need it on a timer if you open the door once and take out all the food?

Because the temperature goes up as a result of you opening the door?

Quote:
Re: the light needs to be disconnected, same as the fridge.

I don't mean an instant thing where the light goes on like in a fridge. I mean eventually the temperature goes up, like 2 minutes later or something, and a light goes on with it.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:55 am
[quote="chanchy123"]I use an oven occasionally on YT I'll put it on a timer and cook in it.
My mother leaves her oven on a timer before shabbat and that's how she keeps the food for Friday night warm.
/quote]

Do you mean the timer shuts the oven off before she takes the food out? How does the timer come into play?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:55 am
amother wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
Interesting thread.

Why would you need it on a timer if you open the door once and take out all the food?

Because the temperature goes up as a result of you opening the door?

Quote:
Re: the light needs to be disconnected, same as the fridge.

I don't mean an instant thing where the light goes on like in a fridge. I mean eventually the temperature goes up, like 2 minutes later or something, and a light goes on with it.
No Rabbi here, but once you take the food out, I don't think it matters what the oven does. You aren't using it anymore. As far as the light... are you referring to an electric oven? I think that it's more complicated than a gas fueled oven. WHy not ask a Rabbi?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:56 am
DrMom wrote:
I'm afraid to ask, but I don't understand what the problem is.

We have the oven on a Shabbat clock so it turns on for a period of ~1.5 hours and then off again. We put the food (cooked and covered, but cold b/c it just came from the refrigerator) in beforehand with the oven set at a low temperature (below cooking temp.). We don't open the oven at all until the oven is off.

My ILs have been doing this for decades.
Where is the problem with this? Scratching Head

There is a problem of hatmana.
I keep forgetting the details of this issue. Anyhow, consult a LOR or read a good comprehensive book on hilchot shabat.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:57 am
[quote="amother"]
chanchy123 wrote:
/quote]

Do you mean the timer shuts the oven off before she takes the food out? How does the timer come into play?

It shuts the oven off after/during the meal so it doesn't stay on the entire shabbat.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 4:00 am
[quote="chanchy123"]
amother wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
/quote]

It shuts the oven off after/during the meal so it doesn't stay on the entire shabbat.

Sorry, I'm slow today. So you are allowed to open the oven on Shabbos even if the oven is on? As long as the food is only being taken out and not put in?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen