Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Chol hamoed films -- which have you seen/will you see?
1  2  Next

Which of this year's films have you seen/plan on seeing?
North Winds (D. Perlstein)  
 50%  [ 6 ]
The Last Memory (Menucha Fuchs)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sara, Against all Odds (Tali Avrahami)  
 16%  [ 2 ]
Northbound (for both men and women)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Passing Inspection (Toby Tessler)  
 16%  [ 2 ]
A Light for Greytowers (Robin Garbose, not in New York this year)  
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 11:01 am
I definitely can't afford to see them all, but if any are particularly recommended, I'll make that my indulgence for the year. Smile

I skipped listing the ones in Yiddish because I don't speak Yiddish.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 11:07 am
I will watch what I watch normally.
I have never heard of these movies.

jaysmom

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 11:22 am
I was thinking about watching the Shawshank Redemption again.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 11:32 am
Ha ha. I've actually got season 2 of Battlestar Galactica on interlibrary loan. In case it wasn't clear, I was referring to the screenings of for-women-only films made by frummies for frummies, particularly the ones I saw advertised around the Brooklyn area.

Mini Cookie

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 12:58 pm
havent watched any of them yet but I was at Dina Perlstein's last year and it was awesome. It takes a lot to impress me since I dont think most of these films are too professional...

3Qts

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 2:06 pm
Has anyone watched
http://www.comingofmoshiach.com/
How was it?

hadasa

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 4:18 pm
I've seen the "Sarah against all odds". I enjoyed watching it, and yes, I cried too, but I still picked it to pieces afterwards. It's rather lacking professionally.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 4:40 pm
For $20, I expect more than a semi professional show. guess I'll stay home.

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 4:45 pm
My mother is treating me to one of the videos tonight...I am not sure which one but I will post my thoughts. I agree that they are expensive. They could probrably make more for tzeddakah by lowering the price and having more attendees.

energy11

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:06 pm
3Qts wrote:
Has anyone watched
http://www.comingofmoshiach.com/
How was it?

You really want to know?
B-O-R-I-N-G!!!
Even for my kids (all ages).
A total waste of time and money!
Absolutely not recommended.

I was so much looking forward...a BIG disappointment!

energy11

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 7:47 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Ha ha. I've actually got season 2 of Battlestar Galactica on interlibrary loan. In case it wasn't clear, I was referring to the screenings of for-women-only films made by frummies for frummies, particularly the ones I saw advertised around the Brooklyn area.

Are any if the frummies movies available online?

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:47 pm
Tova wrote:
My mother is treating me to one of the videos tonight...I am not sure which one but I will post my thoughts. I agree that they are expensive. They could probrably make more for tzeddakah by lowering the price and having more attendees.

OK - it was North Winds (D. Perlstein) and it was really really good. Did anyone else see it? I don't want to post any spoilers but let me know if you want me to be more specific about the storyline.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 11:03 pm
Please tell me more!
(I'm sure most frum storyline spoilers are obvious -- the locket/siddur/lullaby/family artifact proves they're sisters/mother and daughter... the main character and her friend that she wronged make up in the epilogue after a fake-out bittersweet ending... the parallel stories in the past and the present are really different generations of the same family learning the same lesson... the non-frum character finds Yiddishkeit... the character who left frumkeit returns to Yiddishkeit...)
What's the general historical period of the story? How's the acting/story/production values (ie professionalism of videography, costumes, etc.)?

Thanks!!

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 11:53 pm
I've seen enough of the films that your description made me laugh LOL

Time period - current with allusions to post WWII and Austrian property belonging to Jews, information that the Austrian gov't does not want to get out. The gov't has information that the deeds to the properties are in a safe in Switzerland with 2 keys to it. One was given to Avraham Maletzky who owns an inn. They think it's hidden in the basement of his inn. Avraham M. was niftar a few years earlier and inn is run by his mother and wife...but wife is killed when she interferres with the gov't intruders searching for the key. Enter the 2 married daughters who unravel the mystery... Also featuring a mute girl and hidden autistic relative.

I would say acting/ production is very professional.

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:27 am
I have no patience for these things... concerts too. I only watch them if they come out on cd so I can fast forward. I went to one good one a few years ago- Fingerprints, and a really bad one, I don't remember the title but something about 'poor little millionaire' I went with friends and we laughed through the whole thing, it was soooooo bad.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:38 am
This sounds like the movie my 12 year old daughter saw this week. She said it was fantastic. She has pretty high standards (although she's never really seen a "real" movie so she doesn't have that much to compare to except some of the cheesy, frummie ones).

pina colada

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:49 am
my daughter went to north winds and she loved it. she's only 12 so its not saying much. I have no patience for these things.

pina colada

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:52 am
chocolate moose wrote:
For $20, I expect more than a semi professional show. guess I'll stay home.

these are not hollywood grade productions, but for frum people who do not watch any non jewish films, these are definitely good clean kosher chol Hamoed entertainment

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 9:20 am
Meh. I would rather see a clean old movie.
I did like Ushpizin.

pina colada

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 9:34 am
from what I hear north winds was professional.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics