Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Lilith - what do we know about her?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 7:10 am
mama-star wrote:
ok everybody, from now on, we'll call her "lilly"

Please dont....

If you equate uttering the name Lilith with a bad 'aura' that you should not mention, that fine. What you are suggesting is taking a beautiful name that many fine generations of Jewish women were called and turning that into a 'bad' name. If what you suggest were to actually catch on, you will see one day see on a thread that the name Lilly shouldnt be used because its the name we use to describe 'she who must not be named' sorry had to add the HP refrence LOL.
If I ever had girls one would have been named after my wonderful Tante Lilly

[rant/]
I know its a small thing just mentioned on an internet forum, but this rubs me so wrong. Why must we as a people keep adding to the craziness. One of the first thing we learn from the torah is NOT to take away or to ADD to the torah... and thats all our people do these days Sad

::this probaly belongs in one of the chumra threads, but see how we make chumras in so many small ways in our lives, really I hate that we as a people do that
[/rant]

mama-star

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 7:35 am
amother wrote:
mama-star wrote:
ok everybody, from now on, we'll call her "lilly"

Please dont....

If you equate uttering the name Lilith with a bad 'aura' that you should not mention, that fine. What you are suggesting is taking a beautiful name that many fine generations of Jewish women were called and turning that into a 'bad' name. If what you suggest were to actually catch on, you will see one day see on a thread that the name Lilly shouldnt be used because its the name we use to describe 'she who must not be named' sorry had to add the HP refrence LOL.
If I ever had girls one would have been named after my wonderful Tante Lilly

[rant/]
I know its a small thing just mentioned on an internet forum, but this rubs me so wrong. Why must we as a people keep adding to the craziness. One of the first thing we learn from the torah is NOT to take away or to ADD to the torah... and thats all our people do these days Sad

::this probaly belongs in one of the chumra threads, but see how we make chumras in so many small ways in our lives, really I hate that we as a people do that
[/rant]

I really was just joking

amother

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 7:39 am
It's funny, the first I heard of this was on Imamother.

louche

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 7:45 am
lamplighter wrote:
she is def mentioned in Eitz chayim (reb issac ben luria).
My real question is - was she a wife/person at any point?
What is her power now?

well, supposedly she was Adam's wife but refused to submit to his will and wanted to be equal or superior to him. Hence the use of her name for the feminist magazine.

If you are a rationalist who doens't believe in demons and the like, she's a myth and has no power, never had. Like voodoo, the "power" is the power of suggestion.

louche

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 7:46 am
Voldemort. Voldemort. Voldemort. Tongue Out

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:07 am
louche wrote:

Well now you're obviously doomed. But I prefer Candyman...yeah, me and the darkside...

JC

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:14 am
HindaRochel wrote:
louche wrote:

Well now you're obviously doomed. But I prefer Candyman...yeah, me and the darkside...

Well I will see your Voldemort and raise you a
Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse

louche

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:18 am
JC wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
louche wrote:

Well I will see your Voldemort and raise you a
Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse

LOL! Speaking of which, whatever happened to Geena Davis, anyway?

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:30 am
OK, so you all don't like/know the Candyman. Way cooler than beetlejuice or voldermort imho and it involves bees.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:36 am
louche wrote:
lamplighter wrote:
What is her power now?

well, supposedly she was Adam's wife but refused to submit to his will and wanted to be equal or superior to him. Hence the use of her name for the feminist magazine.

If you are a rationalist who doens't believe in demons and the like, she's a myth and has no power, never had. Like voodoo, the "power" is the power of suggestion.
However, if you believe in the Zohar and the Ari HaKadosh, you believe that what is written there is the emes, and rationalist or not, other planes, dimensions exist just as surely, and in actuality ( entire worlds, spirits and forces) beyond the tangible, visible, rational- humanly configured dimension, and more so. Reality is not limited to the physical, or quasi-physical (rationalism).

mosma

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 9:09 am
louche wrote:
lamplighter wrote:
What is her power now?

if you're a rationalist who doesn't believe in demons and the like, then you are not frum, because how can you believe in olam haba, olam haneshamos, and even Hashem for that matter.

Lilith is jealous of babies because she never got to have one, so before a boy is protected by the bris we put a special tefilla in his crib to "keep her away" so to speak.
we did it with my DS.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 9:22 am
Demonology is not part of Torah and has nothing to do with Olam habah. How can I believe in olam habah and not believe in shadim and the like? Easy. I believe that G-d created heaven and earth, endowed human beings with reasoning powers, gave them free will which allows them to choose between following Torah (and yes for non-Jews, that would be 7 laws of Noah). Following Torah equals olam habah. Tsueva equals olam habah.

Blaming magical beings for your troubles; worthless.

btw, she doesn't like girls are girls just don't get protected? (My sons survived just fine without any protection from lilith.)

louche

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 9:30 am
mosma wrote:

if you're a rationalist who doesn't believe in demons and the like, then you are not frum, because how can you believe in olam haba, olam haneshamos, and even Hashem for that matter.

You evidently had ancestors living in Paris in the thirteenth century. vehamevin yavin.

MamaBird

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 10:26 am
chocolate moose wrote:
We know a lot. First of all, we don't say her whole name.

really? what about Lilith Fair? lol I never heard about sprinkling water. Is that common practice? I heard about not nursing a baby for 20 minutes after relations, but it's OK if he/she is crying. I also know that after my dh and I looked up info on Lily, stuff moved around our house. maybe dh was sleepwalking... or not. either way, freaked us out.

someoneoutthere

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 10:32 am
Like I said, call it a sheid or a demon or simply a negative spiritual force. Ruach Hatuma exists.

MamaBird

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 10:43 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Demonology is not part of Torah and has nothing to do with Olam habah. How can I believe in olam habah and not believe in shadim and the like? Easy. I believe that G-d created heaven and earth, endowed human beings with reasoning powers, gave them free will which allows them to choose between following Torah (and yes for non-Jews, that would be 7 laws of Noah). Following Torah equals olam habah. Tsueva equals olam habah.

Blaming magical beings for your troubles; worthless.

btw, she doesn't like girls are girls just don't get protected? (My sons survived just fine without any protection from lilith.)

Although I agree that blaming "magical beings" for your troubles is worthless, as you said, sheidim are very real. The gemara talks in detail about sheidim in many aspects. It actually describes a way that one can actually see them, although the person that tried it went completely insane. I can get back to you with the exact location if you'd like. Some beings are not magical or fictional just because we cannot see them. I agree that sometimes people may take things too far and turn yiddishkeit into spiritual pursuits that involve mysticism and magic, but that does not discredit real spiritual factors that are just as much part of the system as you and me.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 10:47 am
People behaving badly exists. Shadim is highly questionable. Since I can't disprove them absolutely (any more than I can disprove leprechauns) I can't "really most sincerely" deny their existence.

So I'll have to stick with them merely not existing.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 10:51 am
The Zohar most definitely references to her, like I said, who was she? (was she always a demon/negative force of energy or was she once a person) and what is her power nowadays?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 10:54 am
In our house we call her Lil. Not that she is the main point of discussion, however.

Isn't she also the reason we don't cut our boy's hair until he is three, so he looks like a girl, and doesn't tempt her ?

Lampy, I'll bli neder ask dh for other info we have on her.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 10:56 am
Not everyone has the minhag of upsherin.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics