Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Toss the meat?

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 4:12 am
DH went shopping last night and bough chicken for chag and meat for a dish I'm making for a family dinner at my in-laws tonight. This morning, we discovered the fridge wasn't working so great. Things are cool-ish but not cold. As of right now, the meat and chicken is in a neighbor's fridge. DH is worried and thinks we should just throw everything out but I said I'll smell it to see if it went bad when I'm ready to cook later today. I agreed to post here to get the prevailing opinion of imamothers.
Automatically toss or is it possible it's still good? It was in the not cold enough fridge for about 12 hours.

louche

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:22 am
It could be fine, especially since you're going to cook it. It's not as if it's been sitting on the table at 70 degrees all night. Unless you have a family member or guest with a serious health condition, compromised immune system or the like, in which case I wouldn't let that person take a chance.

This is BTW totally contrary to what the Health Dept. will advise you, but kosher meat is expensive! Smell is not an absolute indicator of freshness, but if it smells OK, I personally would cook it and serve it. You shouldn't, but I would.

bubby

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:27 am
I winced when I saw where you live...it's still hot there, right? Can you hold off & I'll ask my mom, Mrs. Butcher ASAP & I'll PM you?

Louche is right, but sometimes meat that is "off" doesn't smell.

I hope I'm right here...if it is "cool-ish" it's probably OK. But I don't know for sure.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:28 am
What Louche wrote. The smell factor is a good indicator.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:40 am
Our general rule (and as louche said, I know that it isn't what is really recommended) is that if it looks okay and smells okay it should be okay to use.

louche

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:48 am
Tamiri wrote:
What Louche wrote. The smell factor is a good indicator.

Though it does depend on how good a schnozz you have. Having been described by a friend as being able to pinpoint a flatulent fly at a distance of half a mile ( a great exaggeration; I can't tell what direction it's coming from at all), I feel fairly confident about relying on my olfactory apparatus. If, however, you can stand face-to-face with your teenage son on Tisha B'Av close to nightfall without experiencing some olfactory distress, then you'd better ask a neighbor to sniff your poultry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics