Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do I know when my toddlers ready for preschool?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 3:45 pm
I am a SAHM so I'm with my 18 month ds all day.

I love being home with him, but it's getting to the point where he's becoming very active and I think that he needs more of a 'social life'.
however, how do I know when he's really ready for preschool?

what kind of behavior/signs etc. Should I be looking for?

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 5:25 pm
You could take her to the park or invite a friend with a child that age for "socialization". I don't think kids at that age really know how to play together yet. Preschool would just be glorified babysitting.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 6:11 pm
Maybe there is a compromise and you can find a program to do together? Then your dc gets socialization but with you. It also gets you out of the house if that counts for anything.

maofboys

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 9:28 pm
where do you live? I am in the same boat but I also work from home so he is a big distraction when he won't take a nap. I started looking into playgroups of 5 kids in somones home for a few hours 2 or 3 days a week (just enough to get some work done) I also love having him home and normaly he naps for 2 hours every morning but the chagim messed up his schedule (I don't believe in letting kids cry it out or rigid schedules I think they find their own way).

amother

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 10:38 pm
OP here:

He is my only child and while I am pg, I'm not due for a while so I don't need him out of the house, though I prob wouldn't be so tired at the end of the day if he wasn't home... But thats not a reason to send him.
I live in a very small OOT community where there aren't any playgroups at peoples house and there is only one other kid his age thats not in preschool in this area, but I'm not such close friends with the mom, so I mean how many playdates can our kids have???

I don't work presently, though I am looking. However, I have no idea how that would work with him home. Presently he does 2 naps a day, though I think very soon (like in the next few weeks) he will be moving to one nap.

Though, at the end of the day I would really miss him if he would go.... Question is, by being home is he 'missing something' or am I making the right decision keeping him home. So, how would I know when it is the right time to send them.

What factors make you send your kids off to school? and at what age? what stage in development?
(obviously im talking about people that can make that decision, not based on needing to go back to work and have to send kid to babysitter etc.)

thanks!!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 10:58 pm
A kid that age wouldn't be in preschool. He would be in daycare, no matter what they call it.

I wouldn't send that young a child to daycare if I had a choice (I understand that many don't). I sent my ds at age 2, but that was from necessity. I would probably wait until 2 1/2 or so, depending on the kid, maybe older. At this age, your child is just doing parallel play, nothing more. No need for extra "socialization." Teach your child how to be a mench - you can do that much easier at home. He'll learn how to act out from other kids soon enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics