Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Does this exist anywhere? Boys school w/o school on Sunday?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 12:59 pm
anyone?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 1:03 pm
elementary school or hs?

brooklyn

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 1:39 pm
Modern? Chasidish?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 1:48 pm
We're looking for ds who is starting elem school - he'll be 5 next year.

As for hashkafa - we are frum, but more modern in that we value secular education, but we are FRUM in that my dh has a job, but learns daily, shiurim, alone and chavrusa, I am fully tznius, long skirts, cover hair fully, etc. No tv, movies or characters.

We're in this weird "box" where we don't fit in the mo schools and we don't quite fit in the yeshivish schools (though we fit more there). We also really value family time and don't want school on Sunday.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 1:49 pm
The school my boys go to don't have school on sunday, but there are also girls. It's not mixed, but they're in the same building, different floors. I would say 85-90% of the student body's parents are frum, skirt, sheital wearing women and some of the men wear a hat. I don't know if the more yeshivish schools do have. I'm talking about elementary. I don't plan on sending my boys there for h.s.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:00 pm
Most schools these days have school Sunday. But there are schools with a true half day, I.e. ending at 12:00 or 12:30.

mamommommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:08 pm
The more "right-wing" yeshivas have Limudei Kodesh every day, including Sundays, because they are trying to instill in our children the importance of learning Torah every day, and that this part of our lives is not suspended on any day.

It really does not sound like your family would be happy with one of the more modern yeshivas where your children will mostly be with other children whose families have values very different from your own. You will have to make a tough decision about what is more important to you: Your child learning the values of yiddishkeit that you deem important, or having freedom on Sundays. (And I'm not sure if valuing secular education makes you more modern. I guess it's just a question of which is valued more. - There are frum yeshivas that have good English departments.)

I remember when my oldest child started going to yeshiva on Sundays. I really hated it. Before that, we had spent every sunday visiting family, going on outings, or just relaxing together. But you know what, we got used to it. Now that's just what we do Sunday afternoons instead of the whole of Sunday. We've also been able to adjust our shabbos and it is a much more special time now.

A part of me does wish that they wouldn't start school on Sundays so young, but I agree with the lesson and I feel proud that I have sons who are taught to value the importance of davening and learning every day.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 3:21 pm
I'm not familiar with any school having school on Sunday, public to the charediest ones, boys, girls, or mixed.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 3:27 pm
You will probably have to compromise one way or another.

YNJ for example is what I would label "charedi lite" (its not quite MO, but not quite right wing). They don't have sunday school but most kids have TVs or at least have exposure.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 3:34 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

YNJ for example is what I would label "charedi lite" (its not quite MO, but not quite right wing). They don't have sunday school but most kids have TVs or at least have exposure.

My kids go to YNJ. Leaving aside the frumkeit labels for the moment, they DO have Sunday school. At the moment I only have boys in the "grades" (I.e., not preschool), so I will speak for the boys. In fifth and sixth grades, attendance is "optional," and in seventh and eight grades, it is mandatory. They have davening and a nice breakfast, and then a couple of hours of learning. It is only a few hours, I'm pretty sure they get home by noon-ish. We do love the school! Sorry, Mimisinger, I forgot where you live. (Isn't that an important detail to include, or are you willing to move cross-country if you find the "perfect" school?)

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 3:57 pm
We live in Queens, and I'd like to stay in the area, though dh would love to move. And, I also just wanted to know if it existed anywhere. It's hard enough finding our group.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

My kids go to YNJ. Leaving aside the frumkeit labels for the moment, they DO have Sunday school. At the moment I only have boys in the "grades" (I.e., not preschool), so I will speak for the boys. In fifth and sixth grades, attendance is "optional," and in seventh and eight grades, it is mandatory. They have davening and a nice breakfast, and then a couple of hours of learning. It is only a few hours, I'm pretty sure they get home by noon-ish. We do love the school! Sorry, Mimisinger, I forgot where you live. (Isn't that an important detail to include, or are you willing to move cross-country if you find the "perfect" school?)

Wow, I didn't realize that!

rosehill

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 4:10 pm
Does YCQ have Sunday school?
HAFTR does not have Sunday school.
HALB, I believe, has Sunday school from 4th grade and on, and only between Succos and Pesach.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 4:11 pm
YCQ is too modern for us, as is HANC and HAFTR.

I don't know about HALB. I think they have separate high schools, but I don't know about their elem. schools.

nylon

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 4:18 pm
HALB is separate classes, same building for elementary.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 4:20 pm
What is wrong with having school on Sundays ?

MamaBear

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 6:59 pm
I live OOT so my kids' school isn't an option for the OP. But I love that my kids don't have school on Sunday. They need the break to sleep in a bit and have less structure. My husband learns daily so they understand that part isn't optional. I would have haaated school on Sunday as a kid and that would turn me from things in general. I would have felt like my whole life was school.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:36 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

We like family time. I think kids are in school for too many hours as it is. Then to add in Sunday as well, really frustrates me. You can't go away for shabbos, you can't see family, you can't have family time.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:39 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

We like family time. I think kids are in school for too many hours as it is. Then to add in Sunday as well, really frustrates me. You can't go away for shabbos, you can't see family, you can't have family time.

We're MO, and our school doesn't have Sunday classes. We prefer that for lots of reasons; I think its just a different world view.

That said, we run into lots of kids from YNJ and Yeshiva Ketana at Sunday activities, as the kids do get out early enough to participate in sports and family activities.

Hope this helps.

crbc

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 9:18 pm
YDH (Yeshivah Derech Hatorah) in Brooklyn has no Sundays till 5th grade (when boys start to learn Gemorah). I enjoyed having whole family home on Sundays. This is the first year DS will be in school on Sundays.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics