Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
FIFTEEN for Shabbos LUNCH... I NEED MENU help!

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:16 pm
I cannot even think about what to serve this Shabbos for a bunch of guests. I need to strike after all the food I cooked, served and prepared over Sukkot.

I cannot think---about planning another meal.

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Please help create a menu and post recipes so I can just follow your suggestions without exerting any prescious brain cells.

Yes.

I am THAT tired....
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused shock shock shock shock

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:28 pm
I need to go to bed... but I hope to wake up with a full menu, recipes and a shopping list...
<hint>
C'mon ladies do that magic!!

relaxed

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:45 pm
YIKES!!! shock

Ok, grab an apron. One thing you can make is franks in blanks. It's easy. Just buy some frozen flaky dough already cut up in squares, hot dogs, and mustard (I like to mix yellow and spiced), eggs, and sesame seeds. Preheat oven to 350. Shmear one side of the square and wrap a hot dog with it. Place in a lined baking pan. Place as many as you can side by side but don't place them too snugly because the hot dog expands. Whisk the egg a bit and apply some with a brush to the tops of each f.I.b. Then sprinkle sesame seeds over the egg and tada! Cover the baking pan and bake for about an hour (can't remember exactly). They're ready when the tops of the f.I.b.s become slightly tanned/browned. Just cut each one in half before serving them. Very simple and if you arrange an assembly line, prep'll all be ready in mere minutes! A word to the wise, don't place too close to oven walls.

You can also do a deli roll. Never made it before so can't supply the recipe but would imagine it's quite similar to the f.I.b. You just need standard flaky dough, various types of cold cuts, and all the rest of the above ingredients. Then you'd just need to cut slices before serving. And even though these recipes are similar, I think you can totally serve both for the same meal.

Good luck and deep breaths! Thumbs Up Cheers

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 12:18 am
Tell us what you want to serve, and we'll try to help.
Do you want a - Challah, dips, fish, salad, (egg salad, liver) cholent, main, sides and dessert - menu?
Less courses?
A different type of menu?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 12:33 am
Can you serve it buffet style? For that many guests, I find it easier to buffets. Plus guests get to serve what they like. Just some ideas below based on what I serve often for shabbat lunch, if I'm not doing milky/parve.

First course: a few different variety of salads (carrots, artichoke bottom, beans, beetroots, etc), dips (hummous, guacamole, aubergine, corriander, matboucha), smoked salmon or cold poached salmon or fried fish if you must serve fish. Roasted mixed vegetables served in a big platter. Or cold cuts or chopped livers.

Main: cholent (meaty if there're no vegetarians, parve if you're having vegetarian guests) with hamin eggs, I happen to like cold sliced roasted chicken, coronation chicken (with fruity curry dressing) is nice--I've posted a recipe some time ago. Rice and chicken makes perfect meat-and-starch one-pot dish for shabbat lunch.

Sides: kugel, green salad or israeli salad

sofaraway

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 12:51 am
I have ideas for salads only, so it doesn't require ahead of time preparation...
1. Egg boats. I love it, and it is eaten better than plain egg salad.
2. spring mix with strawberries and mango. You can add black sesame seeds and candied pecans for extra fancy. Dress with 1/3c. maple syrup, 1/3 soy sauce, 1/3 olive oil.
3. ceasar salad. I love it! Don't forget croƻtons!
4. Corn salad, with bell peppers and olives
5. h. of palm, cherry tomatoes and avocado (I use same dressing as salad #2)
6. Noodle salad. Variety of seasonings to choose from.
7. ratatouille. I just made a delicious one today! Saute onions in olive oil. Add zucchini and eggplant. Once they are cooked add tomato sauce and spice it up.
That's all I can think of for the moment. Good luck!!!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 1:26 am
Start: Baked Gifelte Fish, hearts of palm/avocado salad, and maybe one more small salad.

Main: Grilled Chicken Skewers, Chulent, Apple Kugel, Grilled Veggies, Orzo Salad

Dessert: 3-Layered Sorbet (Buy 3 colors, stack them in muffin tins, comes out so pretty!)

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 1:44 am
I do this very often. We are 10 ppl k'h without any guests, so if I invite another family the table gets a little fuller.

This is my lazy shabbos day menu:

Few logs gefilta fish, with loads of dips (bought if necessary) and a couple of salads.

Huge bowl of cholent. I also put out cold cuts, and maybe potato salad or rice or quinoa.

Ice cream with apple crumble or cake.

willow

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 6:45 am
sofaraway, what are egg boats? Is it like deviled eggs?

smilethere

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 7:54 am
I really like the chef's salad from Susie Fishbein for lots of guests - everyone likes it (even my husband who won't combine meat and leaves) and it's really easy.

I usually use 1-2 packs of mixed lettuce leaves (ready checked)
2-3 different kinds of cold cuts (a few slices of each) sliced thinly (like salt beef, turkey pastrami, and chicken salami for colour variation)
Some cherry tomatoes halved if I have them in the fridge
Some red onion or shallot thinly sliced - again if I have them home

The dressing from susie is excellent, (just googled it now for you:) To be honest I usually miss out the parsley and scallions.

Ingredients:

* DRESSING:
* 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 Tablespoon scallions, thinly sliced
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* juice of 1 lemon
* SALAD:
* 1/4 pound pastrami, sliced into thin strips
* 1/4 pound salami, sliced into thin strips
* 1/4 pound smoked turkey breast, sliced into thin strips
* 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 cup cherry tomatoes
* 1 pound mixed salad greens

Preparation:
1. In a jar or cruet, mix the mayonnaise, oil, sugar, pepper, parsley, scallions, mustard, garlic and lemon juice. Shake or whisk until emulsified.
2. Toss the pastrami, salami, turkey, red onion, and tomatoes with the salad greens.
3. Right before serving, lightly coat the salad with the dressing.

sofaraway

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 2:12 pm
willow wrote:
sofaraway, what are egg boats? Is it like deviled eggs?

yes.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 9:21 pm
are all 15 adults - or some kids.....
that would change the menu if u need to make some kid-friendly food - or if its more adults - you would assume they will eat larger portions than the kids.

Sherri

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 7:48 am
Take a look at OOTBubby's Shabbos Sheva Brachos menu for some ideas.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 7:55 am
My Kids like schnitzel, cold cuts, cholent and coke.

geemum

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 8:01 am
sweet lokshen kugel with crunchy topping

boil up 400g pack of lokshen and strain
1 cup sugar
3/4 - 1 cup oil
4 eggs
1 can of pineapple (pieces of crushed work well)
1 tsp of baking powder dissolved in juice of pineapple
cinnammon to taste
mix all in bowl and put in foil containers (3)
topping: 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup matzo meal, cinammon to taste - mix all and put on top of raw kiguls

bake 180/390 degrees 1-1.5 hours until golden
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen