Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Do foods for lunch and dinner have to be very different?
1  2  Next

baschabad

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 12:41 am
As I see it, breakfast food is very specific. Cereal and milk, yogurt, oatmeal etc.
Some foods can be breakfast or lunch foods- pancakes and eggs.

What I'm having a hard time discerning is what makes some food "lunch food" or "dinner food." For example, is lasagna a lunch or dinner food? Could you serve fish sticks for dinner? Or do you consider foods for lunch and dinner to be interchangeable? Does it happen that you serve the same kind of meal for both lunch and dinner (not necessarily on the same day)? Does there have to be a difference in caloric intake, nutrition or variety between lunch or dinner foods?

Just curious to see what people think!

drumjj

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 2:35 am
I serve either whenever. but mostly a more substantial meal in the evening

louche

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 2:57 am
Like most things, it's all a matter of what you're used to and really doesn't matter. On kibbutz, breakfast and supper were suspiciously similar, while lunch was the big meal of the day. In the US, supper is usually the big meal of the day and breakfast is often nonexistent. There is nothing wrong with having a sandwich for breakfast and cereal and scrambled eggs for supper; fast-food fans all over the country have sausages and you should excuse the expression bacon or ham for breakfast. People often take leftovers from supper for lunch the next day. Whyever not?

And if you're really clever, you find a place that serves its lunch menu, half the price of the supper menu, until 4 p.m. You arrive at 3.45, order at 3.55, get served at 4.05-4.10, and linger till about 5. You've now had lunch for supper and saved a bundle.

Food is food. Your stomach doesn't know from labels.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 3:01 am
baschabad wrote:
As I see it, breakfast food is very specific. Cereal and milk, yogurt, oatmeal etc.
Some foods can be breakfast or lunch foods- pancakes and eggs.

What I'm having a hard time discerning is what makes some food "lunch food" or "dinner food." For example, is lasagna a lunch or dinner food? Could you serve fish sticks for dinner? Or do you consider foods for lunch and dinner to be interchangeable? Does it happen that you serve the same kind of meal for both lunch and dinner (not necessarily on the same day)? Does there have to be a difference in caloric intake, nutrition or variety between lunch or dinner foods?

Just curious to see what people think!
Traditional Israeli breakfasts were: white shmear cheese, bread, jam, vegetables and maybe an egg if you were lucky. I imagine in Switzerland they eat granola and yogurt. Or bread and cheese. In France don't they eat croissant and coffee? In China etc. I think they eat rice.
Cereal and milk are really an American invention and not all that healthy. So that's breakfast for you.

bnm

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 3:23 am
I ate chicken salad for breakfast today, I don't always distinguish between foods for meals. I have eaten lasagna for breakfast lunch and supper 3 meals in a row.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 3:45 am
lunch is usually a lighter meal in western countries. usually we have sandwiches or salad for lunch, although if I have supper leftovers we might eat that.

a full english breakfast is bacon, eggs, kippers, sausages, black and white pudding, toast, jam, porridge, and so on.

I don't understand how israelis have time to make a big lunch - aren't they working in the mornings?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 6:19 am
I don't know. My dad already had cereals and milk for breakfast pre war, though chocolate milk was more common.

In Belgium milk coffee and tartine (slice of bread with butter) is common as dinner.

But yeah, it's all about taste and habits. My dh (Italian) can have pizza for breakfast, I swear. So can dd. Me, well I love pizza, but not at 7 am.
But I like having cereals and milk after dinner in front of tv. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.....tions

louche

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:59 am
Two things I will eat any time, anywhere: pizza and ice cream. For breakfast, supper, snack, you name it. Just not together, because the pizza would melt the ice cream and the ice cream would chill the pizza, and anyway sweet doesn't go well with garlicky-cheesy. Pizza first, then ice cream. Also I have never eaten pizza outdoors during a snowstorm. Ice cream, yes. Of course. A snowstorm is perfect weather for ice cream--it stays frozen and doesn't drip all over the front of your shirt. Plus the snow itself adds a certain pleasant crunchiness where it lands.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 8:01 am
MMMMM garlicky cheesy. I hate being on a diet LOL

I have seen sweet pizzas (pizze, in fact, is the right spelling), as well as sweet and cold ones. Like, banana chocolate pizza with ice cream.

Did I mention I hate being on a diet?

shanie5

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 8:57 am
If there was anything made w/ sauce & cheese for supper, and there were leftovers, u can bet my kids had it for breakfast the next morning!

With my zaidy, we used to eat chulent for breakfast shabbos morning.

Pancakes or eggs for dinner is not unusual in our house either.

zigi

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:25 am
bnm wrote:
I ate chicken salad for breakfast today, I don't always distinguish between foods for meals. I have eaten lasagna for breakfast lunch and supper 3 meals in a row.

I can eat lasagna for supper dinner and breakfast, the kids are happy eating cereal for lunch and supper. they could eat cereal all day. on sunday we do eat fleishigs like soup for lunch. and pancakes and eggs whenever I make them.

I can't eat fleishigs for breakfast though. I wonder if kashrus wasn't an issue if I could? I don't like having my food options cut off so early. I guess I could eat shnitzel. or a good chinese right now.

bnm

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:28 am
zigi wrote:
bnm wrote:

I can eat lasagna for supper dinner and breakfast, the kids are happy eating cereal for lunch and supper. they could eat cereal all day. on sunday we do eat fleishigs like soup for lunch. and pancakes and eggs whenever I make them.

I can't eat fleishigs for breakfast though. I wonder if kashrus wasn't an issue if I could? I don't like having my food options cut off so early. I guess I could eat shnitzel. or a good chinese right now.

I'm allergic to milk and fish so that takes care of kashrus issues. I do get bored of bread and fillings and cereal isn't filling enough....

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:32 am
I don't think any meal has to have specific foods in it or should be relegated to only specific foods. Eating later than 8 or a couple of hours before bedtime is suppose to be unhealthy. Other than that, foods should be healthy and tasty and whatever floats one boat.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 11:45 am
I eat yogurt for lunch...

I think it really depends on the person. I've been known to eat sushi for breakfast. This is particularly disturbing to DH. Some people feel like they have not eaten dinner unless they have meat (a rather expensive way to feel).

As long as you are getting a balanced diet who cares what other people think?

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 12:27 pm
OP - Guess what?

You're an adult now! You can eat whatever you want whenever you want! (You could even eat trayf if you wanted to (that old free will thing ya know?)). Very Happy

There is no law that says you have to have "breakfast foods" only for breakfast etc. Although there are some posters here on imamother (especially those "schedulists") who would tell you the whole world will fall apart and decorum will have died if you decide to have your cocoa munchees for dinner one night.

One of our favorite "desserts" in our house when we have a milchig supper is "yogurt parfaits". Since I generally only buy plain unsweetened yogurt, I will occasionally buy vanilla yogurt and layer it in a clear glass with strawberries and blueberries, and my kids lap it up.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 12:36 pm
My dh used to have steak for breakfast and I was like, yuck, but bacon is the same thing. Tongue Out

My dd just came back from Israel. They stayed in a hotel and she said for breakfast every morning, one of the things they served was herring. I like herring, but I would have such a bad taste in my mouth if I had it for breakfast.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 12:37 pm
JAWSCIENCE wrote:

I totally agree!!! who cares what people think!!!

greeneyes

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 4:32 pm
louche wrote:
Two things I will eat any time, anywhere: pizza and ice cream. For breakfast, supper, snack, you name it. Just not together, because the pizza would melt the ice cream and the ice cream would chill the pizza, and anyway sweet doesn't go well with garlicky-cheesy. Pizza first, then ice cream. Also I have never eaten pizza outdoors during a snowstorm. Ice cream, yes. Of course. A snowstorm is perfect weather for ice cream--it stays frozen and doesn't drip all over the front of your shirt. Plus the snow itself adds a certain pleasant crunchiness where it lands.

This made me laugh, louche.

I can also eat ice cream and pizza pretty much any time anywhere. My dh always thinks it's funny when I want to go out for ice cream on a freezing winter day.

eshes chayil

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 2:35 am
as was said before, you are an adult and you get to decide, but what I have seen in some places is, if your lunch protein was fish, make it meat or poultry for dinner, and vice versa. Breakfast is usually dairy, and that way by the end of the day, you have gotten all your food groups. (of course, each meal includes some veggies too)

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 10:45 am
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
I eat yogurt for lunch...

I think it really depends on the person. I've been known to eat sushi for breakfast. This is particularly disturbing to DH. Some people feel like they have not eaten dinner unless they have meat (a rather expensive way to feel).

Oh I would so love that!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics