Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Have you ever been your child's teacher?

chanadownunda

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 3:38 am
I am currently teaching my three year old son. It was going alright for the beginning of the year, but recently he's been very clingy, kvetchy, overtired, and disturbing for the other children. I try as much as possible to do all of the right things: give him "mommy time" at home, treat him equally in school (not to play favorites or be overly particular about his behavior), have him call me "Morah" in school, have the other staff deal with his outbreaks as much as possible.

I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone help?

carrot

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 7:46 am
Maybe you can treat him a little bit unequally? I.e. let him call you Mommy, what is the harm?

bandcm

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:27 am
I agree. He's only three! He's still a baby! He really doesn't understand why Mommy took him to a place wth a lot of other kinderlach and now she's treating him coldly and is not acting like his Mommy any more!
Now my mother taught me when I was eleven! that was hard. We basically ignored each other (well I ignored her and she tried to treat me equally which was hard for her as all the other girls in the class were not steadfastly ignoring her and refusing to raise their hands and look at her!)

essy

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 3:00 pm
I heard of a situation like that where the child came home and told her mother that her teacher yelled at her.

The mother replied, "how dare that teacher yell at my daughter. I'm gonna have a word with her."

She dialed the teacher's number from her home, but it was always busy. She assumed the teacher was a chatterbox, on the phone all day and night!

(Let's see how many people get this story LOL )

realeez

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 3:03 pm
cute!

we had a teacher in grade 8 who was teaching his daughter. when he gave back one particular test, everyone did poorly. He announced to his daughter that she is lucky she doesn't need her father to sign her test! (all marked tests had to be brought back signed)

ssbarnes

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 8:45 am
As mothers, aren't we all our children's first and most influential teacher in a sense?

When my husband transferred cross country last summer, we enrolled our boys in the local day school, but were absolutely shocked that our boys were 2-3 years ahead in every subject and even though there were less than 10 children in each grade, they refused to allow our boys to have work that was on their own level. So three weeks into the school year, we removed them from the school, much to the chagrin of the frum community here, and began to homeschool.

They had a phenomenal year. They are excited about homeschooling again this year. We have had to deal with being shunned by some families that LOVE their school, but we did what we felt was best for our children.

It was not an easy transition, but well worth it.

We are here for two more years and we hope & pray to be transferred to a community with a good high school since our oldest will be at that age and I don't want to have to send him away.

-Dena

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 9:44 am
My mother is an itinerant teacher... She works with the visually impaired (I.e. blind or parcially blind).

I remember in high school I was doing a presentation, and she proceeded to dance in the hall way while I was trying to focus..

I broke out laughing, and the classroom teacher did not know why. Mega embarassing!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics