Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Ramat shilo
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 12:30 pm
anyone know anything abt ramat shilo. we like it bec it has all the ammenities of ramat beit shemesh but more of a cohesive community. However, we're probably a little more yeshivish than modern although not hard core chareidi. Would we fit in?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 12:50 pm
Smile

Last edited by amother on Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 1:10 pm
I live here, I love it, it's not chareidi though. There are people who live here that may be more yeshivish but they aren't really part of the cohesive community that you're talking about. More like they bought for convenience or price and walk up the hill to daven. They are also not American. There is a shteible shul with a rebbe that has a kind of community but I'm not sure that's your thing--even there the crowd is mixed and not one with a particularly yeshivish hashkafa. Also, housing here is getting annoying-- expensive and not too many choices, especially if you want to buy.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 1:14 pm
OP: so, is it strictly dati leumi or somewhere in between?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 1:27 pm
Somewhere in between. Most people send their kids to either Ahavat Yisrael (Rappaport) which is considered the most "modern" school in RBS or Moriah which is a hard core chardal/Rav Kook type place. There are a handful of people who send to Magen Avot which is more to the right and a smattering of people who send boys to places like Darchei Noam and Toras Moshe. So I guess it depends what your comfort level is and what you are looking for-- not everyone wears only stockings but some people do, most people do fully cover but not too many sheitels during the week.

The community is also kind of based around Yeshivat Lev Hatorah, which is an American MO boys yeshiva. Your involvement with them is up to you, but the Rosh Yeshiva does a lot for the community and it was built around. Many of the teachers from the school live here.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 1:41 pm
around what percentage would own tvs?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 12:03 pm
Don't know the percentage because it's a bit diverse here and I don't know a lot of ppl, but I'm guessing it's small. I know one or two people with and most people I know don't, though many are okay with videos and things. I don't have a tv but I watch on the comp since I don't have a problem with watching tv per se.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 1:12 pm
Smile

Last edited by amother on Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 1:20 pm
There really aren't too many people here who cover half their hair. I can't think of one offhand, which doesn't prove that there aren't any, but it's really not common.

I didn't mention the school because I don't know anyone who goes there-- I imagine there are a lot more schools represented here but not that chunks of the population attend.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 1:54 pm
I know this might sound a bit trivial but because these things matter a bit, would my husband feel out of place wearing a velvet kipa and black hat to daven and on shobbas?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 2:00 pm
Depends where you are interested in davening. In our shul people don't wear hats, not sure about the shteeble. (The people I know who go there do not wear hats, but I can't say for sure that there aren't.) It's not a big hat place.

Can I ask why you are interested in Ramat Shilo specifically rather than other areas of RBSA? There are many blocks that are moderate yeshivish.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 2:09 pm
Very Happy

Last edited by amother on Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 2:11 pm
Fiddle where do your parents daven?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 2:17 pm
Smile

Last edited by amother on Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 3:36 pm
I just want to stress that the "community" feel comes from joining one of the shuls and making an effort to be involved. One of the biggest problem with RS is that there are no parks, so there is no place to go and meet people. If you aren't involved with a shul then your social life is going to be limited to your neighbors and people you know introducing you to other people. Which isn't so different from anywhere else.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 4:03 pm
what are each of the shuls like?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 4:15 pm
There are four places to daven associated with the community-- Ashkenazi minyan, Sefardi minyan, shteible, and yeshiva. We go to the ashkenazi minyan-- there is a new Rav who is great (but doesn't wear a hat or velvet yarmulka.). I'm not quite sure how to describe it= it's a regular shul. There is no building yet so davening is in the miklat of the yeshiva, but there are building fees to be a member and a shul will be built on top of the gan that they are starting to build now. Shteible is more of a heimish type place with a chasidishe rebbe (who wears a streimel) who set himself up there- I know people who go there and like it too. Don't know much about the sefardi shul, and the yeshiva is the yeshiva, but no hats either.

There are other shuls up the block, which I am sure people go to. For all I know there are other "communities" within RS that I just don't know about. Maybe ask the school you want to send your kids to who else lives in RS and then you might be able to find your niche.

JollyMommy

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 9:25 pm
my sister with many KAH children just moved there, and she her family is frum- no TV ever, black hat, learning and working after 4+ years of kollel. she is VERY happy and does not feel too frum for the area.

4Sisters

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 6:25 pm
Can anyone comment on what the area is like now? We're making aliyah to RBS this summer b''eH, and a realtor just sent me info about an apartment here. We had been looking more in the Dolev area, but this apartment is bigger and nicer than what we've seen on Dolev.

We have two girls going to Ahavat Yisrael (one elementary and one middle school). It seems like a bit of a shlep to walk there (one mile uphill, if I'm correct) and we won't have a car.....How's the bus service up the hill?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it. Realtor is telling us to move fast and it's hard since this area is one that I haven't considered much.

vicki

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 4:36 pm
4Sisters wrote:
Can anyone comment on what the area is like now? We're making aliyah to RBS this summer b''eH, and a realtor just sent me info about an apartment here. We had been looking more in the Dolev area, but this apartment is bigger and nicer than what we've seen on Dolev.

We have two girls going to Ahavat Yisrael (one elementary and one middle school). It seems like a bit of a shlep to walk there (one mile uphill, if I'm correct) and we won't have a car.....How's the bus service up the hill?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it. Realtor is telling us to move fast and it's hard since this area is one that I haven't considered much.

The walk is not bad at all. Especially if you are on Ein Gedi. Many girls walk, especially home which is downhill. They stop in the Merkaz for an ice-pop. I don't think a bus will help you getting up the hill. The hill itself is maybe one or max two stops.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions