Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ohr shraga d'veretzky
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 12:02 pm
I am looking to send my son to pre school next year and would like to find out more about this yeshivah. I would describe myself as heimish, we are not chassidish though. this school sounds like a great fit for us because it is one of the few heimish schools out there that isnt completely chassidish. I just want to find out more...is it very hard to get in? what is their outlook on internet, movies... are they very into what the mother's dress like? I dont have a problem with it, I am not a trendy dresser at all, I do occasionaly wear short (aidel) denim skirts and the like, while being completely tznius. in short, I would like to get a feel of the school...

I am also thinking of the cheder, but I would rather a school that isnt so litvish. I am completely new to the yeshivah scene, as I am the first to send from my family in brooklyn. my relatives are either chassidish or more modern and my husband isnt from brooklyn...any help would be appreciated!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:49 am
anyone? I do know they are a very warm yeshiva, which is what I am looking for. I guess im just a little nervous since it is my first time doing this...

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 2:47 pm
also thinking of sending there. are there any fathers with streimel?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 2:53 pm
I don't send to Ohr Shraga but I am best friends with the rosh yeshiva's daughter, and I practically grew up in that house. I can tell you that his personal viewpoint is that he doesn't care that much about dress, it's the inside that matters. Rabbi Landau keeps the yeshiva small on purpose so that he can have a personal connection with every boy. He is an exceptionally warm, loving person, and at the same time a very smart mechanech; a person I would love to have involved in my child's chinuch. (I don't send there because I don't live in the area.)

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
also thinking of sending there. are there any fathers with streimel?

Quite a few.

forever21

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 8:29 pm
ever heard of chasam sofer? I dont know too much about it but it might be a good school for what youre looking for as well.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 9:31 pm
My brother went there years ago. It is such a warm environment that he still speaks to rabbi landau and many of the rabbeim even many years later.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 9:48 pm
My boys go to ohr shraga. I love it ans so do they! It is so warm, every single person from the janitor to the menahel knows who ur child is. They have a great Hebrew department and the English thru fifth grade is great as well. They hired an we English principal to work on the sixth thru eighth. It is very he heimish, but not chasisish. My sons do not have any boys in their class whos father wears a shtreimel. Be aware there are usually between five and eight kids in each class who are coming from very fancy homes. This did not effect me in anyway, but it might bother some, so I am mentioning it. I dress my boys well, but I am not at all from a ritzy crowd. As long as u dress tznius, no one is telling you how to dress.

It can be hard to get in for some, we got in right away. But we are exactly the type they are looking for. By the way you describe yourself, you probably also are the right type.

If u have any other questions, feel free to ask.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 11:52 pm
how are they with kids that need a bit of extra help like with adhd or seit help?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 9:08 am
They are extremely accepting, as long as you are willing to work with them. Both of my sons receive several therapies

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:13 am
how much is tuition, and how does tuition compare to other schools?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
I don't send to Ohr Shraga but I am best friends with the rosh yeshiva's daughter, and I practically grew up in that house. I can tell you that his personal viewpoint is that he doesn't care that much about dress, it's the inside that matters. Rabbi Landau keeps the yeshiva small on purpose so that he can have a personal connection with every boy. He is an exceptionally warm, loving person, and at the same time a very smart mechanech; a person I would love to have involved in my child's chinuch. (I don't send there because I don't live in the area.)

I'm good friends with the Rebbetzin and if I lived in New York I'd send my boys there in a heartbeat. They love every boy and want what's best for him, and the boys feel it.
I wish we had a similar school where I live.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:51 am
Nursery- $5500 plus $500 dinner plus 250 registration plus 360 building fund-total $6610

Kindergarten,pre 1a- $6500 plus extras for total of $7610

1st and up- $7800 plus extras for total of $8910

About the same as other schools, I think

Nobody gets a break unless the husband is learning.

It is possible to get a scholarship fund for $1000

amother

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 8:54 pm
My sons are there and my husband wears a streimel

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 1:20 pm
I am looking for a Mesivta for my oldest son. I live in Flatbush and I am considering Yeshiva Ohr Shraga's high school. Does anyone know about it (if I can still get in), because I hear that the class is full but I am hoping if it is the right type I will somehow make it happen.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:51 pm
How many hours of English studies do they have? Do they take government tests?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:03 am
How much of a break for learning ?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:17 am
They do give regents. I think its 3 hours of English a day

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
How much of a break for learning ?

What do you mean?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:54 am
amother wrote:

My boys go there. Very well described. It is an extremely warm school. It is not that easy to get in, but op sounds like the type that shouldn't have a problem. There are a couple with shtreimels, not too many. Their view on internet is be careful ! Use filters, watch your kids. They don't discuss movies, but same idea. They are not into the moms dress, as long as you don't come in a mini skirt and short sleeves. It's a wonderful school , I am really happy there. Op , you sound likf a good fit. The school is very heimish, but not at all chassidish.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics