Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Social security card for an infant

sweet

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 12:03 am
Does anyone know what documents are needed to apply for an infants social security card?
And does my infant need to be present with me in the office when I apply?

Bliss

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 12:23 am
AFAIK, you need 2 proofs for the baby, lets say birth certificate and insurance card. you do not need your child to be there. I think you should double check before you go, though.

STovah

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:58 am
I've done it for my sons (we don't put the name down in the hospital). Print out the application and fill it out ahead of time - it will save you time when you're there. You need to bring your baby's birth certificate as well as another form of ID that has the baby's birthday on it. The SSA website suggests an insurance card as a form of ID but do not be fooled. I tried that based on what the website said, and they did not accept it. I'm not sure about medicaid cards, but no private insurance card or Child Health Plus card I've every seen has a birthday listed on it. Ask your pediatrician's office for a signed medical record card or report with the baby's name and birth date on it. The yellow card you get in the hospital should work too, as long as it has the name and birth date on it.

ididit

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 10:10 am
nineteen years ago, I brought my son with me to the social security office to apply for his card. I think he was about two months old.

in those days, they required photo id, or three forms of identification. yes, even for an infant!
the woman who dealt with me had a major chip on her shoulder. I had the birth certificate, my passport, and some form of proof of address, but that wasn't good enough for her. she wanted the proof of address to be a letter mailed TO MY CHILD. what kind of mail would a newborn get?? anyway, she suggested a Baptism Certificate, and luckily, I had brought his Bris Certificate with me, but it was written in hebrew. she stared at it and said, "how do I know this is what you say it is???" I calmly started to undress the baby and she asked, "what are you doing??" so I replied, "I am showing you proof of what that bris certificate says!"

she quickly stamped all the forms and handed me my receipt. not another word was said and I got the SS card two weeks later.

mosma

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 11:30 am
when I was in the hospital and filled out the birth certificate info, I just checked off the box that I want a ss card for DD. I had to call the records office a few days later after I named her to give them the name, and the ss card came a few days later.
I didn't have to go anywhere!

qeenB

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 10:14 pm
they are very strict now with having the name on the birth certificate. you cant use a bris certificate or anything else anymore.

mosma

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 10:18 pm
qeenB wrote:
they are very strict now with having the name on the birth certificate. you cant use a bris certificate or anything else anymore.

I just did this 12 weeks ago. I just had to check off on the birth certificate that I wanted a ss card and they mailed me one. I even got it before I got the actual birth certificate in the mail!

tziviakayla

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 10:21 pm
Social Security has a website...you can find out exactly what you need and what to do

http://www.ssa.gov/ss5doc/?ID=.....ubmit

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 10:29 pm
With one of my boys were were sure what his name was going to be and put it down in the hospital..
With my other one, I went to a social security office (without him) along with his hospital release forms, a letter from the pediatrician's office, and a letter from our insurance company stating his name and birth date.
Also, some id for myself--maybe my birth certificate or passport? I do know that I did not need all of the things I brought.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 10:11 am
If your child was born in the hospital, its usually done at the same time the hospital certifys the birth certificate. it should arrive between 4 -6 weeks after the birth to the address on the birth certificate.

sweet

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 6:52 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
If your child was born in the hospital, its usually done at the same time the hospital certifys the birth certificate. it should arrive between 4 -6 weeks after the birth to the address on the birth certificate.

I didnt fill out a birth certificate in the hospital at the time of birth, Thats why its an issue now.

sweet

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 6:58 pm
Thanks everyone, I got it done,
2 peices of ID for a newborn,
A birth certificate and a medical form from the Dr, and 1 ID for myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries