Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The choice is yours!
1  2  Next

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 12:39 pm
Because I'm just in one of those moods:

Sorry to those that wish I would be in a different one--

G-d is offering you a choice in how you spend your day. Working outside the home. Staying at home w ith the children. Learning. You can choose to do one or more, for a normal day.

What would you choose and why and what would you dh choose? How many hrs for each etc

louche

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 12:51 pm
The question is hardly hypothetical. G-d does give you a choice. That outside factors affect the outcome doesn't mean you're not making a choice.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 12:56 pm
louche wrote:
The question is hardly hypothetical. G-d does give you a choice. That outside factors affect the outcome doesn't mean you're not making a choice.

true---but imagine no outside forces you've won a billions of dollars, schools have opened up all around you and will teach in the language you speak, no one will judge you for your choice, and you've the confidence to go forth anyway you choose.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 12:58 pm
Ideally I wouldn't need to work.
I would be home or go out (depending on my mood) with the kid(s) who want to be with me, and the kid(s) who need socialization would be out.
I would certainly learn at least a bit every day. BH I almost always do it.

My dh would probably choose to be in kollel when I'm busy and when I'm sleeping LOL

saw50st8

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 12:59 pm
Both of us would be home with the kids, raising them as a family. DH would learn part time.

That's my dream.

catonmylap

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 1:02 pm
I'd want to learn half the day and be with the kids the other half...

I think dh would choose to teach Torah to adults given all the choices in the world.

Atali

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 1:05 pm
Honestly, if given the choice I would spend about 5 hours learning, 4 hours working, and the rest of the time at home.

Yes, I am aware that saying that makes me a bad mother in the eyes of the mommy police, but that is the best I could do with the nature that Hashem created me with. I believe the ideally being a stay-at-home mother is better but there is simply no way that I could do it without going insane.

freidasima

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 1:28 pm
To do exactly what I am doing now.

louche

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 1:30 pm
freidasima wrote:
To do exactly what I am doing now.

You are blessed. And rich.
Mihu he'ashir? Hasameach bechelko.

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 1:32 pm
Seriously have a choice? As in money is not an object? Then I would stay at home, but send the kids out in the morning anyway. I'd go out to work twice a week, because I need to work a little bit.
Ah, who am I kidding? I love it the way it is now - I have a great job, leave the house at 10:30, come home at 3, and as a high school teacher have TONS of days off. Thanks for helping me see how happy I am with the way things are!

kitov

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 1:34 pm
Live a life replica of the upper class in the 1800's. Attend balls, do curtsies with my ball gowns, have the maids clean, the chef cook, and the teachers come into my house, to teach what "I" prefer.

Whenever I read a book with a setting of those mansions and lifestyle, I drool.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 2:18 pm
kitov wrote:
Live a life replica of the upper class in the 1800's. Attend balls, do curtsies with my ball gowns, have the maids clean, the chef cook, and the teachers come into my house, to teach what "I" prefer.

Whenever I read a book with a setting of those mansions and lifestyle, I drool.

They did have gorgeous gowns, but weren't those the days of the uncomfortable unmentionables? Not that today is much better.

BTW, went and blogged the question because it is really interesting to me. If anyone is interested and wants to answer there (perhaps answer in a way you feel you can't here or whatever.) here's the blog post: So I went and blogged my question...you can answer longer there!

http://aleksandreia.wordpress......n-is/

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 2:24 pm
If I have all the money in the world... I would travel.

Randomly.

With no plans.

Today, the Grand Canyon.

Tomorrow, San Francisco.

The next day, Derry or Belfast.

hadasa

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 3:21 pm
If you're talking about just one day, I'd choose to spend it at home WITHOUT the kids. If you're talking long-term, I'd like to work until 1 pm and have the kids come home at 4. But who an I kidding? The truth is that whatever I presently do is my own choice.

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 3:28 pm
Quote:
The truth is that whatever I presently do is my own choice.

Ditto.

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 9:18 pm
I would work part-time, and have DH work part-time and learn part-time, and be home with the kids part-time.

Wow, I sure expect a lot of him!! Smile

chaylizi

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 9:24 pm
Exactly what I do now/am planning to do shortly. I'm a SAHM who is planning to further my education via distance learning & then work on a contingent basis until my kids are older.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 9:31 pm
I would work part time some days of the week....

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 9:34 pm
Be a SAHM. Hands down. But preferably with a maid, a nanny or babysitter always available at the drop of a hat (to hold the baby so I can go to the bathroom without feeling guilty, to play with some of the kids while I was spending time with others), and a chef. That way I could really focus on my kids instead of feeling pulled in all directions.

I would also homeschool my kids - or at least my girls, and my boys for English. Which I don't think will be happening.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 9:36 pm
Am I the only one? Very interesting...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics