Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Have u ever left challah dough to rise overnight?

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 10:17 pm
Have you? I am putting up my dough now and want to know if I can keep it to rise overnight or I have to finish everything tonight? What I usually do I, I make the dough let it rise a few hours and then braid them and freeze them raw so what I want to do is to make the dough and just put it in the fridge. Is that ok? Have you ever done it?

mom2bsn

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 10:44 pm
let it rise overnight in the fridge and braid in the morn. I do that almost every week

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 10:50 pm
Awesome. What abt if I braid in the afternoon?

louche

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 11:12 pm
Take a peek at it every few hours, and if it's about to fill up the bowl, punch it down and return to the fridge. Make sure to do this before going to bed, at least, if you haven't done it before, lest you open up the fridge in the a.m. to find...THE BLOB THAT ATE BROOKLYN.

Because the dough will be very cold, it will take much longer to rise after braiding. Put it in the oven and place a pan full of boiling water on the oven floor to speed the process. (Remove the pan before lighting the
oven, or leave it in for a chewier crust.)You can also place the bowl or braided loaves atop a hot water bottle or a heating pad on a very low setting.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 12:09 am
I've done it, but I felt the challah comes out better when it rises normally and baked within a few hours.

I also found the dough much harder to deal with even after coming to room temp.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 1:27 am
I used to do that occasionally, but then found the dough a little harder to work with after.

I remember, once when I was single and working full time, there was one batch that took three days before I got it into the oven. First I mixed, kneeded it, and took the challah. THen I put it in the fridge to rise. The next night, I braided it and let it rise again in the fridge. The next night I finally put it in the oven.

(I don't remember what was going on in the above story. I think I was dating my husband at the time, or becoming engaged or something. I think I was very busy or something.

Leah613

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:04 am
Hi- I used to sell challahs from home and tried a few things. One thing that works also- if you have room in your freezer- is braid your challahs after the first rise, and freeze them straight on the baking pan. Then use whenever you want! 1 day, 2 days, 2 weeks! Let the thawing take place together with the second rise and voila! fresh challah to bake in your oven. Please remember that IF YOU MAFRISH CHALLAH you should bake the challahs together (or freeze whole batch) and should not bake on 2 dates (I.e. bake one pan today and freeze other half for a later date) (or aks your LOR)

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 3:17 pm
Does overnight method work for instant (ie rapid-rise, or single-rise) yeast? I did once by mistake, the challah came out much dense and not so nice consistency. It didn't expand as much during the baking.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 4:14 pm
yes. High gluten flour gives that consistency, I prefer all purpose flour, to bread flour for that reason.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads