Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Kashrus Alert-Childrens Tylenol Grape Flavor

amother

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 9:16 pm
I got an email with an alert from a The New Square Kashrus Council stating the following

"Please be advised that a substantial amount of non-kosher glycerin is used in the blend of Childrens Tylenol Liquid Grape Flavor and is therefore NOT KOSHER"

Spread the word!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 9:32 pm
Does this apply to the generic brands as well?

yaeli83

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 9:48 pm
thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I can find out what brands of infant pain meds are kosher? I have something called avtavis infant ibuprofen- berry flavor.... I can't find it on star k or ou because it is a generic brand... bought at walmart. any ideas?
sorry to change the subject...

theotherone

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 10:23 am
call the star-k directly 410-484-4110. most likely they will tell you to dilute it but I don't remember the exact amounts.

GetReal

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 10:25 am
I once contacted some of the kashrus agencies and was told that generic brands are not kosher.

theotherone

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 8:14 pm
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

(sorry, I was not able to copy and paste the whole document, but this article talks about various options available)

momtomany

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 9:06 pm
does this mean that all canadian made tylenol is not kosher? like, me living in canada buying tylenol for the past 10 years here, it was all this time not kosher????????

momtomany

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 9:07 pm
CRC Kashrus Alert: Canadian Children’s Tylenol Not Kosher
(Wednesday, October 27th, 2010)
[Article also appears in the YWN Kashrus Corner]

For many years, Tylenol, Motrin and many other liquid over-the-counter medicines produced by the McNeil Company in their Pennsylvania facility have been made with kosher glycerin. Although the Pennsylvania plant was not certified as kosher, this information was welcome news for kosher consumers. [Glycerin is a sweet-tasting liquid and is one of the most kosher-sensitive ingredients used in medicines. It can be produced from either kosher vegetable sources or non-kosher animal fat, and typically comprises 5-20% of the finished product.] In the spring of 2010, McNeil recalled many of their liquid medicines and ceased production of them at their Pennsylvania plant.

This week, the American division of McNeil began distributing grape-flavored Liquid Children’s Tylenol which is produced in their Canadian factory. In the coming months, the company hopes to expand this distribution to include other items as well. [The American plant is not expected to be back in production until the middle of 2011.] The customer service representatives from McNeil informed the cRc and others that the glycerin used in the Canadian plant is derived from non-kosher beef or pork.

Accordingly, we recommend that consumers consult with their local Rabbi to find out if and when it is appropriate to give these liquid medicines to their children.

It is noteworthy that:

■The McNeil Company also produces a liquid version of Extra Strength Liquid Tylenol for Adults (in the Rapid Blast Cherry Flavor) which does not contain any glycerin.
■Many children are able to use chewable tablets which typically do not contain glycerin (although they may contain other ingredients which are less kosher-sensitive).
■The Novartis Company recently introduced a number of varieties of liquid Fever Reducer for children under the Triaminic name. It contains the same active ingredient as Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and its packages bear the OU kosher logo.
■Those who chose to avoid uncertified liquid medicines have the following option: In cases where one is unsure if the glycerin is from kosher or non-kosher sources, they may consume the liquid medicine after diluting it 6 times its volume of water or another liquid. [Please check with your doctor to determine if this will affect the efficacy or safety of the medicine.] For example, 1 teaspoon of medicine would be mixed into 6 teaspoons of water, and then the entire mixture would be swallowed. The explanation for why that is Halachically permitted is beyond the scope of this paper.

melbee

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 12:28 pm
I also got an email from the CRC about childrens' Tylenol. I'll post it here:

Quote:
Liquid Tylenol and Motrin produced in the USA were known to use kosher glycerin, but have been off the market for a few months. Liquid Tylenol is now being imported from a Canadian plant, which informed the cRc that their product contains non-kosher animal glycerin. Accordingly, the product is not kosher and we recommend you consult with your Rabbi to find out if you may use the product.

It is noteworthy that (a) the liquid Tylenol produced for adults does not contain any glycerin and (b) there is a new Triaminic Fever Reducer which contains the same active ingredient as Tylenol and is certified kosher by the OU.

It doesn't mention that it's only grape, but yours all seem to. Is grape the only issue?

momtomany

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 12:53 pm
I think grape is the only flavor being imported to USA, not the only unkosher flavor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics