Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Learning at Home!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 10:52 am
I finally did it. I had called Oorah and they set me up as a volunteer in their Torah Mates program. I have to admit, at the beginning, I was a little nervous. Questions popped in my head, would I have the knowledge? Would I say the right thing? Would I mess up and loose my partner Pauline’s interest in Yiddishkeit? From the moment I called to volunteer, the coordinators in the Torah Mates program were so helpful. They recommended a sefer for us to learn together, sent it out in a fancy box with ribbon, and answer any questions I have- big or small!
What a wonderful opportunity! Now, looking back, 6 weeks after that initial phone call, I have not only added a weekly learning schedule into my life, but I have also gained a friend. When I first started, I thought I would be teaching Pauline more about our heritage and helping her to reconnect. Now, she is the one teaching me. Her eagerness to learn, grow, and do more is inspiring. Distance is the only thing that’s keeping us from meeting in person. But, I’m hoping that one day we’ll be able to spend a Shabbos together. I feel like I’ve gained more in this partnership than she has. What an unbelievable opportunity- why wait, if you have the time, sign up and join too!

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 10:54 am
Thumbs Up

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 11:03 am
Yay!

These programs are really great.
I was contacted by someone from a similar program who wanted to set me up to contribute, but she didn't know I wasn't in America, so it didn't work.

You should contact them and they could put this up as inspiration!

kollel momma

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 12:00 pm
Really sounds nice how you managed to carve out some time for yourself to teach others.
(I remember seeing this clip on youtube - I went back now to copy it so you can see for yourself)
Hatzlacha
Kollel Momma

Shuly

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 8:22 am
Yes good for you!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:49 am
I've been learning with my partner for about 5 months, but my story isn't as storybook like as yours. I enjoy the learning, but I'm constantly wondering if I'm doing enough, saying enough, encouraging enough. Anyone else have a learning partner that can give some chizuk - my partner is still not interested in anything more than the text we've been studying...

dveikus

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:43 am
Is Oorah now doing the same service as Partners in Torah? Or are they teamed up?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:55 pm
I think it is separate. Oorah calls their program TorahMates.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics