Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Need capable honest plumber in Bklyn to tell me.....

Mevater

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 2:20 pm
House has one bathroom directly over another. In the lower bathroom, ceiling tile is loosening and water leaks when someone above uses the shower or bath.

The house is 30 years old and I either need new grouting, which is relatively inexpensive, or new Wonderboard, which is lots of work and money. I need an honest and reasonable plumber to tell me which one. I've been told that only a capable plumber will know which I need, and only an honest plumber will say I need the cheaper of the two jobs.

fiddle

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 3:01 pm
SPJ plumbing. look him up in the phone book

Mevater

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 3:39 pm
fiddle wrote:
SPJ plumbing. look him up in the phone book
Has anyone else heard of SPJ? I havent. Maybe they're known in Staten Island. Anyone uses them?

Is this the one?

Spj Piping Corp33 Burgher Ave
Staten Island, NY 10304
(718) 351-6200

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 3:45 pm
What about fixing the leaking pipe? I'm no plumber but if you stop leaking water coming through in one place, it will just find it way somewhere else. And you can get mold problems. The grout, tiles & wonderboard are all cosmetics. And bathroom contractors or handymen can fix them after you fix the leak.

There's a plumber Leffler in BP who I think is quite honest and decent prices but I lost his #.

STovah

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 3:54 pm
I would recommend Joey Kaplan as a very capable and honest plumber - I don't have his number on me now, but you can look it up. I think he lives on East 13th street in flatbush

Mevater

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 3:55 pm
red sea wrote:
What about fixing the leaking pipe? I'm no plumber but if you stop leaking water coming through in one place, it will just find it way somewhere else. And you can get mold problems. The grout, tiles & wonderboard are all cosmetics. And bathroom contractors or handymen can fix them after you fix the leak.

There's a plumber Leffler in BP.
I hear you, but it's not neccesarily a leaky pipe, its possibly holes in the upper bathroom grout where water gets through and drips onto and through lower bathroom's ceiling tiles. You can clearly see the water dripping from seams in ceiling tiles only when shower/bath above is being used. A leaky pipe would prob cause much more water to drip down. I heard of Loffler, and I cant use him for personal reasons. Anyone else who has a reputation as a top plumbing troubleshooter?

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 4:03 pm
Well if you find its not a pipe - and end up fixing the grout - dont fix your ceiling first, get the floor upstairs so you dont trap water in, also there is sealant you can use on grout, similar to whats used on marble & granite and it will be even more water tight. Can you say something to who's upstairs not to get so much water all over the floor - if thats what it is? Cuz every time will make your ceiling more damaged.

Mevater

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 7:22 pm
red sea wrote:
Well if you find its not a pipe - and end up fixing the grout - dont fix your ceiling first, get the floor upstairs so you dont trap water in, also there is sealant you can use on grout, similar to whats used on marble & granite and it will be even more water tight. Can you say something to who's upstairs not to get so much water all over the floor - if thats what it is? Cuz every time will make your ceiling more damaged.
Someone told me that if an experienced plumber knocks on the wall (in the upper bathroom) he'll know if the wonderboard has to be replaced, or if grout will do the trick - like a doctor listening to a chest.... ; ) a maven knows..

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 8:19 pm
STovah wrote:
I would recommend Joey Kaplan as a very capable and honest plumber - I don't have his number on me now, but you can look it up. I think he lives on East 13th street in flatbush

I also had good experiences with Joey Kaplan...but I dont either have his number; maybe someone else does?

yentadevosha

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 8:41 pm
red sea wrote:

There's a plumber Leffler in BP who I think is quite honest and decent prices but I lost his #.

I always use leoffler,very nice person and I would definitely trust him. 917-796-4181.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries