Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO recipe for crepes as an appetizer

lollygirl

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 9:54 am
Hello (new here) Smile
My parents and in-laws are coming for Shabbos and I want to make a crepe appetizer. Something maybe with vegetables, chicken or mushroom filling and some sort of sauce. Something delicious, of course. Have you ever made anything like this that came out good? Can't seem to find any recipe like this in the kosher cookbooks. Thank you

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 10:51 am
I make something like that, but don't have a recipe -- I just wing it.

I take leftover pieces of chicken, turkey or beef, cut up small and saute a lot of onions and mushrooms. I make either a mushroom sauce or a celery sauce and mix a bit into the chicken/vegetable mixture.

I then make crepes (not sweet) and fill with the above mixture. I put a puddle of the sauce on the plate under it and drizzle more on top.

lollygirl

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:08 pm
Sounds delicious, OOTBubby. I'm the kind of person that needs exact measurements though. Does anyone have an exact recipe? Thanks again

yummymummy

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:27 pm
There was a recipe for mushroom pouches in the Hamodia magazine a little while ago. It looked good so I saved it but haven't had a chance to make them yet. If you still need a recipe I could type it up for you (it's a bit long)

Mamish Mama

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:27 pm
If it's not too late I have a crepe fish recipe....

Take your crepe and schmear a thin layer of parve cream cheese, sprinkle a few capers and one thin layer of lox. Roll the crepe and cut on the diagonal; depending on the circumfrance of your crepe pan you should be able to get 3 or 4 pieces out of one crepe. To serve, I put them on the platter garnished with lemon wedges and a few more capers sprinkled on top!

Enjoy.

lollygirl

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:30 pm
yummymummy wrote:
There was a recipe for mushroom pouches in the Hamodia magazine a little while ago. It looked good so I saved it but haven't had a chance to make them yet. If you still need a recipe I could type it up for you (it's a bit long)

If you would be ever so kind Smile

lollygirl

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:30 pm
Mamish Mama wrote:
If it's not too late I have a crepe fish recipe....

Take your crepe and schmear a thin layer of parve cream cheese, sprinkle a few capers and one thin layer of lox. Roll the crepe and cut on the diagonal; depending on the circumfrance of your crepe pan you should be able to get 3 or 4 pieces out of one crepe. To serve, I put them on the platter garnished with lemon wedges and a few more capers sprinkled on top!

Enjoy.

Thank you!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:33 pm
This might interest you
http://www.imamother.com/

yummymummy

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:35 pm
Mushroom Pouches (from Hamodia Magazine)
Makes 12

Crepes
3 eggs
1 c. water
2 Tbsp oil
3/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
non stick spray for frying

Filling
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, diced
2 c. canned mushrooms, drained
3 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp. mushroom soup mix (optional)
1 c. water or veg. broth
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Crepes: Put eggs, water, oil, flour and salt in a tall container and blend with a stick-blender until frothy. Spray and 8" (20-cm), non stick frying pan with non-stick spray. Pour about 3 Tbs. of batter into the pan and tilt so that the batter covers the bottom in a single layer. (if necessary pour excess batter back into the container.) When the crepe is golden at the edges but not brittle, turn over and fry for a few seconds on the other side. Turn onto plate and continue with the rest of the batter. Stir the batter each time before pouring since the flour has a tendency to sink to the bottom.

Filling: Heat olive oil and sauté onions until transparent. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour (and soup mix if using) on top of mixture, and toss until there are no lumps left. Slowly add water or broth and soy sauce to the pan, and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, adding a few more drops of water if it is too thick. Taste - then add salt, if necessary, and pepper.

Place a heaping Tbsp. of filling in the center of each crepe. For an elegant presentation, prepare "drawstrings" by slicing the green part of a scallion lengthwise so that it's easier to tie. Gather up edges of filled crepe and tie with the strip of scallion. For every day, just fold one side over, the bottom up and down, and close with the other side to form a neat square.

If you end up making them, please let me know how they come out. Enjoy!

Last edited by yummymummy on Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

lollygirl

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:37 pm
yummymummy that sounds exactly what I'm looking for! Whenever you can post the steps..thanks!

lollygirl

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:50 pm
I found this one online. For all the good cooks out there, is this something that sounds like it would be good?

Chicken Crepes with Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients:

Crepe Batter:

3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup non-dairy creamer
1/2 cup seltzer

Filling:

1/4 pound cooked chicken, diced
(can use chicken from soup)
3 tablespoons margarine
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup non-dairy creamer
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
14 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 pound mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Mushroom Sauce:

3 tablespoons margarine
1-1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons water
or non-dairy creamer
2 cups chicken
or bouillon cube mixed with water

Mix flour, sugar, eggs, non-dairy creamer and seltzer to make batter for crepes. Pour enough batter into a greased non-stick frying pan to thinly coat bottom of pan or use a crepe maker. Remove crepe from pan when edges start to lift up slightly on the sides. Repeat process until all batter is used. Cover crepe stack with paper towels to keep moist until all batter is used and you are ready to assemble. Makes approximately 18 crepes.

Melt margarine in a saucepan and mix in the flour. Add chicken stock, non-dairy creamer, white wine, salt, pepper, garlic powder and nutmeg. Simmer 20 minutes. Mixture should thicken. Add mushrooms, chicken and bread crumbs. Mix for 2 minutes on stove top while mixture continues to simmer. Fill each crepe with 1 tablespoon of chicken mixture. Fold over sides of crepe to cover filling. You can freeze crepes at this point. Makes enough filling for about 40 crepes.

To make mushroom sauce: Saute mushrooms in margarine until limp. Mix in flour until brown. Add water or non-dairy creamer and chicken stock. Simmer until thick.

Warm chicken crepe in the oven and spoon a generous serving of sauce over the crepe.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 06 2010, 3:28 pm
You can also make crepe-smoked salmon roll up.

Lay a slice of smoked salmon on top of crepe, roll up cigar-style, then cut in 3-4cm lengths. Arrange on a platter cut side up. Best done when crepe is not so hot but before they go room temperature. Makes a nice appetiser or kiddush.

lollygirl

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 5:16 pm
I ended up making the one I posted. It came out horribly, tasted awful!!! Sad
What a waste of time and $
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey