Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Best Sippy Cups- to transition from bottles

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:43 pm
Hello all,
So for some reason all the sippy cups that I have bought for my 1 year old twins aren't working well. They flow too fast so the babies end up either spitting the excess milk or juice all over their shirts, or it just drips all over their shirts.

If you have a sippy cup that you love, let me know!

Cuties

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 8:19 pm
I got the target brand munchkin its says on it that its a beginner it has a soft top and little handles and it does not spill .. my son loves it I havent tried him drinking his milk from it yet but he drinks water and apple juice from it fine and yea sometimes hell spit out the excess liquid when it comes to fast but I think tats going to happen with anything

saw50st8

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 8:43 pm
Munchkin Straw cups.

SHMEIJEL

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 8:52 pm
http://www.amazon.com/NUK-Gerb.....=8-21

Mamish Mama

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 9:01 pm
From the bottle nipple we went to:

http://www.nuby.com/en/nuby/cups-spouts/889

the nuby's made for a good transition from bottle nipples.

we also use...

http://www.playtexbaby.com/Cup.....r-Cup
http://www.playtexbaby.com/Cup.....r-Cup

neither of which leak -- I can't tolerate leaky cups so these are tried and true.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 10:26 pm
Straw cups are better than sippy cups, because straw drinking involves a more mature suck, whereas sippy cup drinking is like bottle drinking- an immature suck. The immature suck is said to hold kids back from proper speaking skills, while straw drinking helps develop the proper muscles for talking.

That whole shpeel was from all the speech therapists my kids and I have dealt with. Now for the mother's perspective:

Straw drinking is a skill that has to be learned. Not all kids are ready for it at the same time. At a year old, there is a good chance your babies are ready to learn. Speech therapists prefer the Munchkin straw cups, though I think Playtex ones are just as good. The difference is, the playtex ones have narrower straws so they're easier to suck, so they don't work the muscles as well. They are also more leakproof (the munchkin ones are pretty good but leak occasionally). One thing I prefer about the playtex ones is that you can insert the straw without taking off the flip thing on the cover. Munchkin cups require disassembling when you wash them.

If you prefer sippy cups, I've used the disposable ones which leak terribly. I've also used the playtex ones. Those don't leak, but are very hard to suck. I always had to use them without the valve inside until my kids learned to suck from them. Without the valve, they are not leakproof at all.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 5:31 am
Hi everyone,
Wow, thanks for the recommendations! Worlds best, I was just looking for a way to not have to change the babies' shirts 4 times a days from leaky cups, but you did give me plenty of information to think about. I know with my big girl we got one that had some sort of stopper in it that slowed down the flow, but it did make it harder to suck on.
I'm going to try out some of the recommendations here and report back. I really want to chuck the bottles as they are now over a year old and the doctors told me that it is bad for their teeth.

I also find that in general milk flows through all of these cups a lot faster than juice...anyone else find that to be true?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries