Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Question about almost 3 yr. old's development

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:25 pm
My daughter (#4 - just to know where I'm coming from. She's not my first.) is almost three. At 1.5 she seemed really advanced for her age - she was talking a lot (started talking at 8 months) and seemed really mature. At two she basically peaked, and I don't feel she has developed up to par from that point on. She's adorable, a real personality etc. but sometimes I feel she just doesn't get it. Her morah says she "confuses" her - seems to be on par some of the time, but at other times she also feels that she doesn't quite "get it". Neither of us can put a finger on what it is exactly. At this point I'm not even sure it's anything to worry about, if she needs an evaluation, and if so, if it's a language issue, or something else. My question for all you speech therapists out there: Is there any sort of guide line which milestones in language a child should have reached by 3 years old? If I could get a basic picture of what's considered normal language development for her age (in terms of understanding, expressing etc.), I might have an easier time figuring out if I should take her for a language evaluation.

Last edited by c.c.cookie on Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

goldapoe

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:36 pm
Here are two sites with pretty thorough checklists. This is a guide ONLY. Speak to your pediatrician, as well.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/healt.....child

http://www.childdevelopmentinf.....shtml

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:42 pm
Thanks! I actually googled myself after posting this, and saw both these sites. From what I can see, her problem is definitely not in language, but might be cognitive. Do you have any idea at what age I should worry about that?

goldapoe

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:48 pm
I don't think it would be premature to have her evaluated at Hitpatchut HaYeled in the next few months. The Dr. would decide the correct path which should include a psychological evaluation (for cognitive development not social/emotional).

You are her mom-trust your instincts!

BTW-full disclosure: I'm an OT not an SLP Smile

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:51 pm
Thanks! And yeah - I know you're an OT. You've given me advice before. And better late than never - I should have told you how valuable it was! You recommended an OT for my baby, and she was great for him! I know it's late - but thanks for that.

goldapoe

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:55 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
Thanks! And yeah - I know you're an OT. You've given me advice before. And better late than never - I should have told you how valuable it was! You recommended an OT for my baby, and she was great for him! I know it's late - but thanks for that.

That's so sweet of you to mention it! I'm happy I can help people virtually, as well Smile

zigi

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:01 pm
you can also compare your dd to the other kids in her class, the older she gets the more noticeable the difference is, also when she is younger the more you work with her she will really improve

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:09 pm
I agree, zigi. But how do you know if a child is just "spacey" or if there's an underlying problem? She can never really tell over what she learned in gan, doesn't know colors yet, and sometimes I get the feeling that when she's constantly bugging it's because she really didn't "get" my answer. For example, my SIL was at our house for Shabbos, but went out for the Fri. night meal. My dd kept asking when she'd come back. I explained to her that she had gone to our cousins for the seuda, and would be back later/after tje seuda/late at night/after you're sleeping. She kept asking me again and again. She would get distracted for a few minutes, and then come over to me and ask again, like we'd never had this conversation, "Mommy, when's ______ coming?"

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:16 pm
I'm not a therapist, but as a mother of 2 children who went through this, I'd say there are certainly a number of red flags and I'd get her evaluated.

zigi

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:19 pm
I guess mother instinct. if the evaluation is free its worth to get it checked out.

mazelandbracha

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 5:42 pm
As a Morah, not a ST, I'd check for a processing problem. I've seen this in my class, and it's easier to deal with now rather than later, when schoolwork is hard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics