Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
WWYD- Give a HORRIBLE Rebbi a Chanukah present, or else....
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:42 am
So the title says it all.

DS's Rebbi is an_____________.

Call him whatever you want. Youll probably be right.
Im not going into the reasons here as why I feel this way- thats for another thread....
The point is that every year on Chanukah, I hve been giving Rebbis at least 100 dollars as a present and as a token of Hakoras Hatov. This year he should pay me.

If I dont give him, hell probably take it out on my son more-- Right?
If I do, its going to hurt me knowing that he doesnt deserve a dime-

So WWYD?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:43 am
"Dear Rebbi _________"

A donation of $100 has been made in your name for this Chanukah season. Thank you for your hard work.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:48 am
isn't a tip something one gives to show good job ... otherwise I see no reason

amother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
"Dear Rebbi _________"

A donation of $100 has been made in your name for this Chanukah season. Thank you for your hard work.

LOL- to where? the ASPCA? Torah Umesorah to train him better....

Should I say such an obvious lie?????

Tamiri

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
"Dear Rebbi _________"

Do you think it's easy making you and your son so miserable? It's HARD WORK!!!!!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:03 am
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
"Dear Rebbi _________"

Do you think it's easy making you and your son so miserable? It's HARD WORK!!!!!

No its not. He actually does it quite effortlessly. And not only to us.

I cannot imagine that such people still exist in Chinuch.

Unfortunately, schools tell us they cant fire a Rebbi based on the Psak of certain Poskim who are no longer on this world and are not here to defend themselves.

Woe is us that this is what the world has come to.

merelyme

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:04 am
How would you like him to treat your son for the rest of the year?

You know the expression, "Az men shmirt, fort zich - when we grease the wheels, the drive is smoother."

Wishing you much hatzlacha and nachas!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:05 am
So write blah blah blah a donation blah blah blah".... for making such a hard job look so easy that it seems effortless". You want to be nice about it, right? Rolling Laughter

saw50st8

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
"Dear Rebbi _________"

ROFL.

Can you just give him a cheap present and say "Due to the economic climate at this time, we apologize for not being more generous."

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:11 am
Maybe you shouldn't give as generously, but I feel that you should give a decent tip (compared to the other parents' tips). Unfortunately, not giving him a tip may cause even more harm to your son c"v.
I'm so sorry for what your son and you are going through Sad

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:21 am
give him 25 bucks and take the other 75 and buy yourself a nice pendant.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:22 am
When did giving chanukah gifts to teachers become a set rule in schools? We try give to our children, spouse, parents, siblings, friends, etc, and now parents are expected to give to teachers or else they look bad? When did Judaism become so materialistic and lose sight of the true meaning of the holidays?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:27 am
Yoshi, ditto.

I wouldn't think of it.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:35 am
OP Here

Where I am, thats what everyone does.

And I usually like to conform to whats being done, especially with showing my appreciation to a hard working Rebbi who deserves it.

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:40 am
Send your son to a different school.

jaysmom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:45 am
Honestly, I would just give that ______ rebbe his _____ money. Bottom line is that you have to do what is best for your son. 100 bucks back in your wallet is not worth the risk of the rest of the year being harder (to any degree) for your son.

abound

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:45 am
Give him a standard donation with a nice personalized letter and try to deliver it personally with a smile.
sorry there are always going to be rebbies that will clash with some children, (or unfortunately there are rebbies that need a change of career) You gotta BRIBE him!!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:51 am
merelyme wrote:
How would you like him to treat your son for the rest of the year?

You know the expression, "Az men shmirt, fort zich - when we grease the wheels, the drive is smoother."

Wishing you much hatzlacha and nachas!

ITA. A seminary teacher of mine (who was brilliant and had a fabulous sense of humor besides) told us that she gives the biggest gifts to the worst teachers. It's called bribery, and it works.

When my oldest DD was in first grade, she had a witch for a teacher. I'm not joking. After a yummy primary (pre-1-A) year with a teacher who loved them from head to toe, she got a drill sergeant. Hurray that they covered the most ground and were the first class to get their Chumash. These poor little kids were not allowed to move a muscle, got no warmth, were screamed at, and lived in fear of her.

So after a generous Chanuka gift with a gushing note (good thing she doesn't know me personally because I'm not like that) I was able to call the teacher and explain that she is just fabulous, but I want her to know that my DD is sensitive and could use a little softening, etc....

It did help a little. I saw her ease up on my DD, ever so slightly. We bore the rest of the year and B"H (due to parental demand) she got a yummy 2nd grade teacher.....

I'm sorry for you and your son. Do what you can to make the best of it.

farm

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:55 am
Give the money with a warm letter. I"H the rebbe will warm up considerable to your son. There's a reason the torah doesn't allow judges to accept money. Use this opportunity to you and your son's advantage.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:55 am
Do nothing.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children