Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Baking with israeli sugar

amother

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 6:09 am
so- this sugar seems to be much more granulated than american sugar- is that correct? or am I just shopping in all the wrong places? is there anywhere where I can get more finely granulated (but not powdered) white and brown sugar in Israel? and if not- how do I bake with this sutff???
thanks in advance!

Liba

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 6:12 am
The white sugar works just fine for me.

The demrura sugar does not melt the same way on the stove top with oil, but it is fine in cakes and cookies. I have on occasion seen containers of regular brown (or dark brown) brown sugar in the larger grocery stores. My neighbor buys it and it works just like regular brown sugar.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 6:12 am
I never noticed a difference in the sugar between Israel in the u.s, just bake as usual.
I did buy once granulated brown sugar by mistake it was a lighter brown and not as fine as the regular brown sugar but it worked just fine in my recipes.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 7:38 am
The sugar is coarser but works the same as American sugar. I may take longer to combine if you are whipping it with margarine or oil.

cassandra

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 8:08 am
I also find it coarser, but it hasn't really affected most of what I make. Sugat makes a "dak" sugar and it's the American consistency.

Didi

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 1:56 pm
Supersol has american type of sugar, I forgot what it is called it is in an white bag with orange writing. I saw it by my friend the other day.

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 3:12 pm
It's coarser. As in, you can often see it as granules in a finished dark baked product. And it produces more granular powdered sugar too.

KosherCook

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 3:49 pm
I don't know what American sugar is like, but in England you have caster sugar which is much finer than the granulated white sugar usually sold in Israel. I was very excited to find caster sugar at the supermarket recently - it's made by sogat and is called sukar dak dak.
However, after many years of baking with granulated sugar I have got used to it.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 4:33 pm
I second the DAK DAK sugar makde by SUKAT- I just recently came across it in shefa shuk... sabout time they got normal sugar here!! brown sugar on the other hand.. its not perfect yet

WastingTime

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 2:00 pm
MnM1130 wrote:
I second the DAK DAK sugar makde by SUKAT- I just recently came across it in shefa shuk... sabout time they got normal sugar here!! brown sugar on the other hand.. its not perfect yet

so funny I just saw this sugar recently too, and I was wondering what the point of it was!
ive been living here for 10 yrs, and maybe I just forgot, but I dont remember any difference in the sugar from the states. ha!
in any case, I have no problem baking with the white sugar,halivai it would make things come out not too good, then maybe it would be easier to lose a few pounds
the brown sugar is def. different, I used to have my mother bring me from america, but now she lives here, and I got used to it
we live in israel for the ruchnius, soemtimes we have to give up on our things were used to from the old country
(although it may be a bit begrudgingly!)

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 3:23 pm
I'm surprised people are willing to pay for finer sugar. If it's that important, why wouldn't you just run the regular stuff through the blender or food processor once or twice?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen