Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How do you entertain your kids Friday afternoon?

curlyhead

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 1:32 am
Since imamother has been on the getting ready for shabbos theme this week Here is another question on that topic.

For thsoe whose kids come home early on friday and are home all afternoon how do you entertaine them so they let you get ready for shabbos and they keep the house clean?

alpidarkomama

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 1:54 am
They're just as busy getting ready for shabbos as I am! They clean their rooms 100%, take showers/baths, set the table, get the candles ready, etc. If the whole house is ready and it's not time to light, they just read or play a game. We have our little afternoon routine, and they know exactly how it goes every time so nobody kvetches or anything. They like being part of the pre-shabbos hustle and bustle. Smile

saraleah2010

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 7:54 am
Television

Amital

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 8:00 am
They are busy doing their jobs to get ready for Shabbat. My kids (ages 6 and down) have a checklist to accomplish on Friday, which includes making their beds (with help as needed), cleaning up their room/playroom, checking items for Shabbat, helping put away the laundry, baths, laying out clothes, and setting their Shabbat lamps. They have other things, too, but that's a general list--for example, today my DS6 and DS4 are helping with dessert!

Of course, I double check everything, so it's not a shortcut. But it's important for them to get into "getting ready for Shabbat" mode too--and it's a mitzvah they can do!

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 8:08 am
you give out age appropriate jobs to help towards shabbos Idea

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 8:46 am
I probably should have got them more involved, but when they were little, story tapes and toys.
When they were a little bigger, with the refrain, "I am not your entertainment director."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note