Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Bed that can eventually turn into a bunk bed?

greeneyes

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 10:37 pm
We'd like to buy a bed for my 3 year old, but since eventually we'll want a bunk bed, we were wondering if you can buy just the bottom part of a bunk bed & then eventually purchase the bed to go on top. Does this exist or are we dreaming here Smile ? If it does exist, where is the best place to buy it?

If this does not exist, where is the best place to buy an affordable bed or bunk bed?

louche

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 10:47 pm
If there were, it would not be wise to buy just the one bed b/c you'd have no guarantee that when you're ready to buy the second part, it will still be available or will fit properly. Or that the model will still be made or that the manufacturer will still be in business!

There are, however, bunk beds that can be separated into two twin beds. It usually involves some reassembly, as when it's a bunk bed, the bottom bunk has higher footboard/headboard than the top. To use as twins, you give one taller board to each bed as headboard, one shorter board as footboard. To use as bunks, bottom one gets both headboards and top gets both footboards. Just ask in the furniture store for a bunk bed model that can be used as two twins. There are many such. Like these: http://www.bunk-beds-and-loft-......htm.

micki

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 11:04 pm
we just bought a bunkbed from walmart for $180- and I am very impressed with the construction and quality

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 11:05 pm
What louche said.
I am sure you can buy a bunk that separates into two separate beds (I like the ones that when they separate, they look exactly the same, not like the ones where one has higher head and foot boards, and the other has lower ones), and just keep one of the beds compact in the box without putting it together until later (can purchase the mattress later too.)

bobeli

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 11:11 pm
I think there are few by costco, the 2 twins are the same with a round headboard and they fit on top of each other or like this:
http://content.costco.com/Imag.....0.jpg

greeneyes

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:55 am
Thanks for your help, ladies! Ra_mom, I like your idea of storing the top bed, before it is assembled, in the original box. I think that's what we'll end up doing.

Micki, I'm curious, if it's not too much trouble do you mind giving the link to the bunk bed you bought at wal-mart?

Was it this one?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog.....28474

Where is the best place to buy a mattress for a bunk bed like that?

micki

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 12:00 pm
close- but it was this one:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog.....od=rr

my DH pointed out that yarmulkas are more likely to fall out of the head board with the one you put up a link too.

we bought this for my 4 yr old, and we had the other bed stored, casue the 2 yr old will need another few years till he needs it, but then we had guests and needed another bed in that room, so we built the top bed and now we store it on top of the bottom!
and my 5 yr old likes sleeping there cause she gets lonely going to sleep alone.
I am still looking for mattresses too- they need to be 8" or less thick so the rail protects them, if you find any online let me know!

reed

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 12:11 pm
You can get beds where the top bunk fits into holders on the frame of the bottom bed.

We had a regular hi-riser. We just switched the headboards for a very similar headboard that allowed the top to fit into the holders on the bottom one.

We bought it many years ago from Hatzlochah Furniture in Williamsburg. It was the most cost-effective way to go at the time. I've since seen similar ideas at other furniture stores.

What I like about it is that I can take off the top bed for two separate beds if I have company (a couple, for example), for whom a bunkbed is not appropriate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries