Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
DD with Thick, Frizzy hair - what can I use?

INSPIREME

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 9:59 pm
DD has thick , frizzy hair. Does anyone have any ideas what type of haircut would suit her best? (She is in 4th grade.) Also, what type of products are out there for me to buy, to tame her hair?

TIA

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 10:03 pm
#1 - NEVER comb her hair unless it's wet. Never, ever, ever.

#2 - When wet, put gel on hands, rub together and spread evenly through entire hair. Either air dry or blow with a diffuser.

#3 - cut - depending on the hair, length usually helps weigh it down and you can get it layered to reduce volume.

good luck.

INSPIREME

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 10:20 pm
What type of gel should I use?

overthehill

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 10:28 pm
Any gel is fine. My girls and I have been blessed with this hair!

Ditto the above directions-

brush out when wet with a good brush- the type that has cushioned bottom that can be pushed in and a brush head that looks like pins with tiny balls on top

Add gel to the bottom part.

Let it air dry

She should end up with beautiful curls instead of frizz- then she can put on a headband, you can pull it into a half pony or pony tail.

Let her sleep with a high pony on the top of her head- this way if you dont wash it nightly, its not so frizzy in the morning.

If you must use a brush- use it only on the front of her head to help push it back or get into a pony. Frizzy hair is a brush's enemy!

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 10:30 pm
I use loreal, but really, you can use any type - go to cvs and pick one that is least hard. There's super hold, extra super hold, super duper hold LOL

Just take the least super duper.

Ilovehashem26

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 10:53 pm
If they have blonde hair, mousse might be better. For my hair, which is blonde and curly, I use mousse because the gel makes it look dark and wet. It also helps for me to leave some conditioner in somtimes- in the ends of the hair not the top. and I only shampoo 1-2x a week, but condition every time I shower- and brush through with conditioner only- or else you break the hair and add to the frizz.

nylon

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 11:08 pm
Getting nice curls depends on washing it right.

1) Wash (I prefer sulfate free shampoo--if you want to use traditional conditioner with silicones, which is helpful for very dry or damaged hair, you must use a shampoo with either sulfates or coco-betaine. Some cheaper silicone conditioners will build up.)
2) Slather on conditioner
3) allow to sit a few minutes (I let it sit while I shave my legs)
4) Comb through with a wide tooth comb
5) Rinse and finish with a cool rinse
6) Gently squeeze out excess water - do not rub your hair with a towel, though you can "plop" it in a microfiber one
7) use a light gel for styling to define the curls.

Use a satin pillowcase or hair cap to prevent tangles (look in the black hair care aisle).

Do not comb or brush hair after this point. I never use a brush at all, only a comb. If it tangles, use water and your fingers.

SHMEIJEL

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 12:22 am
Ouidad has good products. Expensive tho.

SingALong

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 12:24 am
I had thick curly hair as a girl. My hair routine was as follows:

1. I washed every night, conditioned well
2. Occasionally sprayed in leave in conditioner (or mix a bit of conditioner with water in a spray bottle
3. Brushed out knots
4. Applied mousse all over, carefully smoothing it into hair
5. Made hairstyle be ir a pony, 1/2 pony, headband whatever.
6. Slept with hair made, woke up
7. If needed, I touched up hair by smoothingbwith wet hand or a bit of mousse

I used gel and mousse, and liked mousse better, it held the frizz without being too heavy. Gel also gave my hair a wetter look, mousse was also a wet look but not as bad. Dried gel also sometimes flakes and it looked like dandruff,

I always had hair just past my shoulders, blunt cut no layers or bangs. Layers would make it look thicker.

U may even try styles ilk

SingALong

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 12:24 am
Like a half a pony with a whole pony, depends what looks good.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 1:27 am
perhaps try a serum, like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 1:36 am
I'm deliriously happy w/these posts!!!
my dd, has the same problem as the OP

I have tried all the things mentioned. the only thing I dont do is use gel. it flakes, and then her hair looks dirty.
I'm a huge believer, in Pantene conditioner. I slather, so much on her hair, and use a huge paddle brush to come out the tangles, a tiny bit of hair at a time.
I also use a leave-in conditioner, Dr. Fishcher "for curly hair", which keeps it all in place, minus the frizz.
I would love a great gel, that doesn't flake for shabbos, its the ONLY time, I let her wear some of her hair down.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 6:55 am
I like Avon's Lotus Shield serum.

KosherCook

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 7:55 am
I don't know where you live but in Israel you can buy a range of Natural formula products. I use the go curly max hold cream for my DD and it really helps. It doesn't flake like some creams or gels, and helps prevent frizziness.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 8:16 am
To help with brushing, hold a small section and brush below your hand. Make sure you are gripping the hair. It helps with painful brushings.

I much prefer mousse to gel.

I also like Frizz-Ease but its not cheap.

4ofus

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 9:01 am
Mousse driest the hair out so I would use some sort of styling cream or serum instead. Also, tell her to sleep with a braid every night for smooth waves or twist all of her hair into those neat old lady buns overnight. I hope these posts help you!

Mannys613

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 11:49 am
Herbal Essences Mousse for curly hair is the best. It's cheap and effective, and you don't have to use that much. I didn't find that it dried out my hair; I used conditioner religiously every time I washed it.

If her hair is clean and she doesn't need a bath, you can just spray her hair with a water bottle and work the water through gently with your fingers, then apply a teeny bit more product just to get the little frizzies down from when she was sleeping.

My mother used to spray on leave in conditioner to help with the tangles when she combed my hair in the morning. It helped diminish the morning struggle somewhat.

Hope this helps.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:36 pm
longer hair will be less puffy. condition thoroughly from roots to ends at every wash, and let conditioner sit awhile. it's important to use a separate conditioner, not two-in-one. when you rinse, don't rinse really thoroughly, just a light rinse, so a thin film of conditioner remains on the hair. comb out immediately after rinsing, even before getting out of the shower and then don't brush or comb again, just style with the hands gently. if you are going to use a gel or cream, use one that says it is formulated to fight frizz. frizz-ease products are good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries