Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Is there a parve subsitute for heavy cream?

Flower97

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 12:32 am
I want to make the chocolate tart from KBD Teens. It calls for heavy cream which needs to be mixed with melted chocolate. Is there antything parve that I can use instead of the cream?

beckster

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 1:15 am
Soy Milk or Almond Milk has worked in the recipes I've tried.

Shalshelet

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 1:22 am
There's a new product I've been able to find in the health food stores called Mimiccreme made from nuts. Healthy, parve, and delicious!

Flower97

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 8:38 am
Shalshelet, who carries this in brooklyn?

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 8:45 am
MimicCreme can most likely be found in larger supermarkets in the baking aisle. It looks like the rice dream boxes.

Ilovehashem26

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 9:17 am
another vote for mimiccream!! I love it! (I want to find the non dairy frozen whip- they make that too- but havent found it in any store Ive checked yet. I found mimiccream at mt fruit though.
Also, If you want to make whipcream- I discovered a new yummy parve alternative-- I buy a can of coconut milk, (not light- regular) and leave it in the fridge for 2 weeks. When you want to use it, take it out, scoop out the fat(which seperated and is thick on the top) and leave the water- to use for something else- and whip the coconut cream with some agave syrup or sugar or sweetner of choice and you have whipped cream!! (you can add water/coconut water for a thinner whipped cream. its so yummy! and its much healthier than non dairy whips!

Mannys613

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 9:49 am
You can make your own mimic cream with raw cashews; we are not "crunchy granola" people, but I have used it in cakes and frosting etc. You can store it in the fridge for 2-3 days, and itt also freezes well (up to 6 months), just defrost add a little bit of water and stir.
Recipe for Cashew Cream:

2 Cups RAW cashews (not roasted), rinsed well under cold water

1.Put cashews in bowl, cover with cold water. Cover bowl, refrigerate overnight. (I skipped overnight and just let it soak for a half hour or so, so I can't tell you if it makes a difference.)

2.Drain and rinse with cold water. Place in blender with cold water to cover by 1". Blend on high until very smooth.

3.for THICK cream, use less water; the water should just cover the cashews in the blender.

This recipe makes 2 1/2 cups thick cream or 3 1/2 cups regular.

Hope this helps!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 10:12 am
You can use many subs but it won't be thick. LIke the pareve frozen Rich's milk.

Mannys613

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 10:19 am
Cashew cream is nice and thick, and even reduces faster than heavy cream (I.e it's slightly thicker and has a higher fat content.)

ally

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 12:05 pm
Ilovehashem26 wrote:
another vote for mimiccream!! I love it! (I want to find the non dairy frozen whip- they make that too- but havent found it in any store Ive checked yet. I found mimiccream at mt fruit though.
Also, If you want to make whipcream- I discovered a new yummy parve alternative-- I buy a can of coconut milk, (not light- regular) and leave it in the fridge for 2 weeks. When you want to use it, take it out, scoop out the fat(which seperated and is thick on the top) and leave the water- to use for something else- and whip the coconut cream with some agave syrup or sugar or sweetner of choice and you have whipped cream!! (you can add water/coconut water for a thinner whipped cream. its so yummy! and its much healthier than non dairy whips!

Does the coconut cream have to be left for two weeks?

Ilovehashem26

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 10:36 pm
you can prob do less, but I just left it there for 2 weeks. I dont know the minimum, I know it takes time for it to seperate, but have no clue how long.. I guess you can experiment if you want to. Next time I buy some Ill try it after a few days.

Annie

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 1:06 am
I've always used rich's whip, just use a little less sugar b/c it's already sweet, and heavy cream is not.

wispalover

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 8:19 am
Did you make it? I made it this week, and used Rich's Whip- HUGE, HUGE hit!

Mommy25

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 12:49 pm
Did anyone try richs whip in soup that calls for heavy cream (cream of cauliflower soup- bais Yaakov cookbook)

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 4:47 pm
Mommy25 wrote:
Did anyone try richs whip in soup that calls for heavy cream (cream of cauliflower soup- bais Yaakov cookbook)

Rich's whip is sugar sweet and would not go well with soup.
If you don't have to whip up the cream for the recipe, just use soy milk instead.

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 5:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Rich's whip is sugar sweet and would not go well with soup.
If you don't have to whip up the cream for the recipe, just use soy milk instead.

I use coffee whitener.

agreer

Post Sat, Sep 12 2015, 11:45 pm
For desserts, I always use Rich's whip. Comes out better than any of that "healthy" stuff. I once tried using coconut cream and it was a huge flop.

I've tried MimicCream for soups. Did not go over well.

centurion

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 12:07 am
rich's whip is for desserts. for a soup, I'd probably try a parve sour cream.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 6:48 am
centurion wrote:
rich's whip is for desserts. for a soup, I'd probably try a parve sour cream.

I use whip or coffee rich in anything that calls for heavy cream. Heavy cream is sweet too. Maybe not as sweet as whip, but definitely sweet.

Mommy25

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 10:18 pm
I ended up using soy milk instead of the milk in the recipe and coffee creamer instead of the heavy cream( recipe called for both milk and heavy cream), it came out good,probably tastes better if just make it milchig...it was a great meal starter/first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics