Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kokosh cake recipe?
1  2  Next

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 6:10 am
You know the kokosh cakes you buy at the bakery? Thin dough, gooey chocolate in a flat roll?

Anyone have a recipe for that? The Spice and SPirit recipe is WAY to yeasty and comes out more like a babka....

Mishie

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 8:16 am
Here's what I do:

I make my regular Challa Dough Recipe.
Let it rise for about 1.5 hours.
Roll it out (not all at once...LOL)
Spread oil on the dough, and then sprinkle a mixture of Cocoa Powder and Sugar (you can also add: some brown-sugar, and cinnamon or nuts)
Roll up very tight.
Egg the top (as you would for Challah)
Bake until top is brown.

G'Luck!

8)

mali

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 2:17 pm
Whatever you do, don't let the dough rise too much - definitely not a second rising. You don't need your cake looking like bread.

Kmelion - you're in Israel. Buy Shokonit (not Shokolit - because you need a good proportion of cocoa and sugar, and the cheaper companies have that). Spread 2 Tbs. oil on the dough, then put about 2/3 cup of Shokonit on top. You can then lightly sprinkle some diluted brandy on top, for extra flavor. Roll.

Don't overbake!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:16 pm
Mishie wrote:
Here's what I do:

I make my regular Challa Dough Recipe.

Wouldn't that make the brocho on the cake Hamotzie? The Spice and Spirit recipe has only about one cup of water, so probably it's less than the amount of the other liquids together, if the majority of liquids are not water, but juice, oil and so on, then the brocho would be mezonos.

I've noticed that some of the other cookbooks do have recipes calling for massive amounts of water, like a regular challah dough Surprised Maybe it's because Lubavitchers go according to the Alter Rebbe's final psak in his Siddur, which is in seder birchas hanehanin and which has some differences from hilchos birchos hanehenin in AR Shulchan Aruch, so we are careful about the amount of liquid. According to other opinions would the kokosh cake be considered as "pas habo b'kisnin" which is mezonos, regardless of amount of water?

[/I]

mali

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:20 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
According to other opinions would the kokosh cake be considered as "pas habo b'kisnin" which is mezonos, regardless of amount of water?
Probably. It's filled dough. That's what most poskim consider to be Pas Habo Bekisnin.

I make a real Mezonos dough - only one cup of water. It's very different than Challah dough and tastes excellent.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:33 pm
Could you post the recipe, if it's not too much trouble? I always have to add flour to the dough from the S&S recipe, because at first it's too sticky. Then, after baking, I find it somewhat dry. Confused TIA!

mali

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:44 pm
1 kg. flour (about 6 1/2 cups)
2 Tbs. dry yeast (1 cube fresh)
1 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup sugar
dash salt
1 1/2 cups margarine (3 sticks, I think)(1 1/2 Israeli sticks)
3 eggs

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup water and 1 tsp. sugar. Sift flour into mixer bowl. Add rest of the ingredients, and the yeast once it bubbles. Mix until dough is formed, about one minute. Let stand for 10 minutes. Knead for seven minutes (in the mixer, don't waste your energy over it). Dough should be soft, not sticky and not dry. Add flour if necessary (a kilo is the perfect amount, so if you measure with cups, you may have to add some).

Let stand for 10 minutes. Divide into 6 equal portions. Fill with your favorite filling (for Israelis, spread 2 Tbs. oil and 2/3 cup (approximately) of Shokonit, then sprinkly some diluted brandy). Roll, and pinch tightly. Baste with egg. Bake in a preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, until browned. Do not overbake! (I made it three times in the last week, yum!)

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:49 pm
Thanks so much! I'm going to print this out now. Smile

batya_d

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 1:54 pm
Is kokosh cake the same thing as babka? I've never quite been able to figure this out...

shanie5

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:03 pm
if you take a just rolled out kokosh cake, fold it up and put it into a loaf pan and bake it-you now have babka!

mommy2

Post Sat, Sep 30 2006, 7:49 pm
Mali, I was asked by 2 ppl if the brocha is mezonos, so just double checking, since theres more liquid in the recipe than water the cake is mezonos-rt?
btw, it came out very good, thanks for posting! Very Happy

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Sep 30 2006, 9:30 pm
batya_d wrote:
Is kokosh cake the same thing as babka? I've never quite been able to figure this out...

Babka is more cakey, while kokosh is a flat roll, the dough hasn't risen again.

Also, babka has a crumb topping on top that kokosh doesn't.

Go to your local bakery on a Thursday and ask to see both. You can see the difference.

supermom

Post Sun, Oct 01 2006, 2:52 am
I was told that once you put something in the dough like chocolate, cream and so on and so forth it automatically turns into mezonot even if you use your challah recipe.

mali

Post Mon, Oct 02 2006, 2:08 pm
There are different opinions.

BTW, in the recipe I posted, place all six rolls on one cookie-sheet. They should come out pretty thin.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Nov 24 2006, 10:16 am
mali, I've been making this recipe every week now, and it's really good. ( I just came back here to check for the ingredients, bec. I misplaced the paper.) You'll see this after Shabbos, so I hope it was a good one!

BTW, what is Shokonit? We don't have it here. Sad Is it a cocoa drink mix?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Nov 25 2006, 7:27 am
Shokonit is I think the cocoa powder used for chocolate milk. Just make sure it's parve!

And since it's already sweetened, you don't need to add sugar. If you use baking cocoa, make sure to add sugar.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Nov 25 2006, 3:01 pm
ds likes cinnamon buns but complained he would like chocolate in them...think maybe h e's thinking of the above recipe?

can't hurt to try, right?

Faigy86

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:40 am
sorry for bringing up a very old post Smile
But some of you guys are still around, so maybe you can answer my questions...
Did this fit the initial requirements? "Thin dough, gooey chocolate in a flat roll?"
What would be the proportions of sugar/cocoa?
TIA

bradybunch

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 3:36 pm
Thanks for the link to this old thread.

So--I want to make this for shabbos (I have guests, which is unusual for us)...what have y'all used for filling? I will use the recipe that mali posted above for the dough.

AZmom09

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 8:12 am
Anyone tried this recipe? Really in the mood to make a gooey kokosh asap!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen