Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Do Lubavitch men/boys wear ties?
1  2  Next

Do Lubavitch men/boys wear ties?
yes  
 61%  [ 30 ]
no  
 34%  [ 17 ]
only solid colors  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 2:14 pm
I'm coming to crown heights for a sale, and want to know if I should bring my tie display.
I dont bring it to the places that chassidim are since they dont wear, but I wasnt sure about Lubavitchers.

s/o told me that they only wear solid colored ties...is that true?

Atali

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 2:17 pm
I would say that most don't but some do.

My DH doesn't wear but we do put them on our little boys.

GingerSpice

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 2:17 pm
Some do, some don't. My husband does Smile

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 2:24 pm
sure they do. solid or patterned. bochurim probably do not but men who are shluchim or businessmen do.

Temilia

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 2:39 pm
Depends what position/ stage of life they are in.

But there are many lubavitchers who were ties.

I don't know where the solid ties thing is from.

Maybe because the Lubavitcher Rebbe always wore a black tie?

bubby

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 3:20 pm
I had to virtually wrap 'em round DH & DS for family weddings (inc. my own kids'!!) Even the Chosson wasn't thrilled about wearing one. OTOH, one SIL always wears one on Shabbos.

Most men & older bochurim in CH don't wear them. I got used to the scruffy look after a few years. Some battles aren't worth fighting! Wink

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 3:25 pm
Personal choice, at this point.

We're not tie people, thankfully.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 3:32 pm
My dh doesn't own one.

Twice in the past six years or so he's had to borrow one from my father for some wedding or other, at my mother's insistence
Raisin wrote:
men who are shluchim
Actually, the one time he went to the shluchim conference he says he wished he'd taken one of my father's ties with
Raisin wrote:
or businessmen do.
nope, not even for business meetings with bank managers and lawyers!

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 3:35 pm
oh, and my boys don't either. Because a) I never buy them! and b) even if I did, they wouldn't wear it; they want to be just like their father

Justlookup

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 3:40 pm
As said above, usually Shluchim and businessmen do, but not 'regular' - teachers etc. or Bochurim. the reasoning is bec of a Kabbalistic reason about how the tie separates the top of the body from the lower half - I can get u the full proper explanation if you'd like, so in general, men wont wear them but for those who need it - like Shluchim who are in high Rabbinical positions and it brings respect to their show of Yiddishkeit, or businessmen who feel they need it in the business world, do wear. So- bringing your tie to CH for a sale definitely can be very matzliachdik.
Suggestion: If you're around, bring it during the Kinus Hashluchos (too late for the men's kinus), so the wives can bring home gifts for their hubby's!

zigi

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 4:13 pm
my boys do. they do sell ties in ch.

supermommy07

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 4:14 pm
always wondered why non of my Lubavitch relatives wear ties!

MommyZ

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 4:43 pm
My brother and bil don't wear ties. My father does but not often.

CTSunshine

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 4:54 pm
A lot of the modern, younger crown wears ties. The older, and more chassidish don't as much. My husband isn't really a tie guy, but will always wear one when we go out together on Shabbos, Yom Tov, and to simchas because I love how he looks in them!
The ones that do wear ties wear both patterned and solid.

artikidove

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:03 pm
I find that most of the bochrim don't (I don't even think my lil bro owns a tie) but many of the rabbaim/shluchim do. In the school where I work every rebbe wears a tie and same goes for the school I attended as a child. My dh does wears them and I would totally buy one for him by chof beis shvat! I think it would be more beneficial for you to sell them by the women's kinus vs. the mens. Few men buy themselves ties.
Funny story about this - I boarded by a shliach when I was in high school and I didn't think he owned a tie. But one day he had a fundraising meeting with some big shot and he came downstairs with a tie on. His kids burst out laughing while pointing to him and shrieking about "tatty's funny sock around his neck!" They had never seen one! They ran over and started pulling on it and he was like no! This is my only tie and I don't know how to tie it so it can't be undone! He has had it tied for 7 years. And has worn it twice.

cookielady

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:20 pm
My dh, a shaliach, always wears a tie, as do almost all the shluchim that work in surrounding neighborhoods. Looks far more mentschlich.

artikidove

Post Fri, Nov 26 2010, 12:09 am
a gut yuntif to all!

mammele26

Post Fri, Nov 26 2010, 2:55 am
artikidove wrote:
a gut yuntif to all!

Thanks! A gut yomtov to you too!

hadasa

Post Fri, Nov 26 2010, 3:27 am
ChayaG wrote:
the reasoning is bec of a Kabbalistic reason about how the tie separates the top of the body from the lower half - I can get u the full proper explanation if you'd like, so in general, men wont wear them

The gartel is what separates the lower half (I.e. materialistic desires) of the body from the upper half, which is good and is why the gartel is worn by Davening and performance of other Mitzvos. The tie, however, separates between the head (mind) and the heart (feelings), which is not good, because the mind is supposed to rule the heart, and the passageway between them (the neck) is narrow enough as is.
Nevertheless, as mentioned, the Rebbe himself and many Lubavitcher Rabbonim, Shluchim and businessmen do year ties regularly or occasionally.

GYT.

gold21

Post Fri, Nov 26 2010, 1:46 pm
which yom tov are you referring to?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics