Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pinworms in infants

amother

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 5:55 pm
could my 15 month daughter be suffering from pinworms? she is waking up at night and writhing.

bubby

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 6:21 pm
Yes. Take off her diaper, lie her on her back, lift her legs & open her backside with your fingers (on either side.) I suggest you wear disposable gloves. Have someone shine a flashlight...if you see any white threads, even not moving, it's worms. Even if you don't, I think I'd assume that's the cause, unless she has a really nasty diaper rash.

Report back! Unfortunately, I'm the expert on worms AND lice! Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 6:26 pm
Thanks bubby and yes I think I saw a white thread - what now? As far as I know Vermox can only be given from 2yrs

bubby

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 6:38 pm
OK, call your pediatrician. If you can't reach him, call your INSURANCE COMPANY...many of them have a 24-hour health hotline. You can also call the pharmacy.

You need to VERY VERY CAREFULLY roll up her sheet, bumper, pillow etc etc. Wash down the mattress with Lysol, same with the crib. Wash the linens in the machine & dry on high (heat kills the eggs.) If you have wood floors, that is much easier...wash them. If you have carpets, vacuum thoroughly. You'll have to do all this for 2-3 days. Be sure to wear disposable gloves.

If you have other children, you must treat them with the Vermox & wash all their linens too. If she crawls on the floors, you must do the same. Same thing for the stroller, high chair, everything. It's a lot of work, but do it properly the first time & it's over.

If you're pg, start eating pumpkin seeds by the pound. Seriously...it works, I did it.

sneakermom

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 6:59 pm
I wouldn't go all gungo right away cleaning my head off. I would change the linen, wash the crib. I would also take out the worms every time she wakes up writhing at night. Bathe her in the morning. Make sure her nails are short and clean. And see if that takes care of the problem. It might just be enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics