Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Lev Bais Yakov High School.... Any Info???

amother

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 12:31 pm
I am considering sending my daughter to LBY HS which is currently in its first year. Can anyone give me any input regarding the School, the girls, the Principal- anything helpful to make a decision?

TIA

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 7:27 am
BUMP

amother

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:55 pm
Bump

amother

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:06 pm
The teachers are top notch. kids are apparently beyond chutzpadik!! Teachers are livid and don't want to work there. I heard this from several teachers who work there.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:11 pm
Wow. Totally disagree with the above.
I personally know at least 2 staff members who love working there, and many parents there who say it's an amazing school with tremendous ruach. The principal is known for being skilled at scouting out really talented and dedicated staff, and the whole school thrives because of this. (For example, Chevi Garfinkel runs the Hashkafa department, and has a kesher with the girls all 4 years. They have an on-staff LCSW/counselor who works as a sort of human resources person, and she is supposed to be very good with the girls who need an extra lift or have trouble socially or whatever.)

The school really works with the parents and students, so I can see where if a teacher is very rigid or old-school, maybe they'd think it was chutzpah for the kids to want a relationship of warmth and understanding or flexibility.
I don't have kids that age, but if I did, I'd definitely consider it.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
The teachers are top notch. kids are apparently beyond chutzpadik!! Teachers are livid and don't want to work there. I heard this from several teachers who work there.

same amother, just adding that I don't see how a whole school of 100+ kids can be classified as chutzpahdig. Only chutzpadig 8th graders are accepted? Is chutzpadig a new segment of society? Do the teachers you mentioned before teach anywhere else to be comparing kids in different schools? Maybe that's what kids are like these days. I just don't get it. Scratching Head

amother

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:19 pm
I don't work there do I don't know but I can ask for clarification from the staff members that I spoke with if you are interested.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

same amother, just adding that I don't see how a whole school of 100+ kids can be classified as chutzpahdig. Only chutzpadig 8th graders are accepted? Is chutzpadig a new segment of society? Do the teachers you mentioned before teach anywhere else to be comparing kids in different schools? Maybe that's what kids are like these days. I just don't get it. Scratching Head

I personally have never heard this about Lev, but yes there are certain schools that are known to be more Chutzpadik than others... (I've substituted and taught in quite a few schools. )

When researching where to send my kids, things like this were a consideration as well. I definitely got feedback that certain schools have this problem.
Some schools may attract a certain clientele, and some schools just have a certain atmosphere.

Tzippy323

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 4:06 am
Lev Bais Yaakov HS is an extension of the elementary school which is not very good. The HS hires a lot of young teachers who "teach themselves the material" and really have no clue about how to give over the information so that students benefit from their instruction. The staff - teachers and principals included - are not malleable and it takes many, many phone calls and letters before you get responses from either. Agreements that are reached between teachers and parents are seldom followed up on until their are numerous reminders and at times, a conversation with the principal. A large percentage of the student body has learning issues but the solution that the school offers is to make a 'small class' for a given subject, with the principal taking it over. That usually happens more than halfway into the year when the student is seriously failing. Too little, too late.

I would not recommend this school to anyone.

booboo24

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:03 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
Lev Bais Yaakov HS is an extension of the elementary school which is not very good. The HS hires a lot of young teachers who "teach themselves the material" and really have no clue about how to give over the information so that students benefit from their instruction. The staff - teachers and principals included - are not malleable and it takes many, many phone calls and letters before you get responses from either. Agreements that are reached between teachers and parents are seldom followed up on until their are numerous reminders and at times, a conversation with the principal. A large percentage of the student body has learning issues but the solution that the school offers is to make a 'small class' for a given subject, with the principal taking it over. That usually happens more than halfway into the year when the student is seriously failing. Too little, too late.

I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Are you speaking from experience?

Tzippy323

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:28 am
Experience...hmmm....not as a parent. I work with many students outside the school arena. I have had more than my share from Lev Bais Yaakov. I have experienced everything I said above with each of the students and parents I have worked with. In addition, I have spoken to teachers and been far less than impressed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children