Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Male co-worker leaving: what's appropriate to say?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 10:45 am
One of my co-workers got another job and is leaving us. Today is his last day with us. I don't deal with him much, just an occasional question here and there, but I do see him every day. I try to be politely distant with my male co-workers. What's the appropriate thing to say?
(Another thing: he brought cookies for everyone as a sort of "farewell party". I probably should mention that too, right?)

anonymrs

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 10:47 am
I think it's ok to wish him success in his new job. I don't believe it would be necessary to say anything about missing having him around or anything like that.

louche

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 10:51 am
Congratulations, best of luck in your new position. What more do you need to say?
I wouldn't mention the cookies unless he purposely bought kosher ones for your sake, in which case you would say Thank you, it was very thoughtful to buy kosher.

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 10:56 am
Just wish him well.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 10:56 am
louche wrote:
Congratulations, best of luck in your new position. What more do you need to say?
I wouldn't mention the cookies unless he purposely bought kosher ones for your sake, in which case you would say Thank you, it was very thoughtful to buy kosher.

Most of this office is frum so he purposely bought kosher for our sake (not just me). Does that make a difference?

louche

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 10:59 am
Of course, you could try going the "Noooo, say it ain't so! Don't leave us! How will we go on without you? We'll be just an empty shell, unable to function. How can you think of abandoning us like this? We'll be destroyed! The whole organization will collapse, and it'll be your fault! Do you want that on your conscience?" route if you think it'll make him change his mind.

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
louche wrote:

Most of this office is frum so he purposely bought kosher for our sake (not just me). Does that make a difference?

No need to thank him for the cookies, unless you feel it necessary. It's really not a big deal. Just say "Good luck in your next job. We'll miss you" (These things are often so superficial anyway. Don't let it worry you.) You seem like a very kind and caring person, and I'm sure this person realizes that Smile

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 11:03 am
I would tell him to give news (to the office not to me).

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 11:03 am
Ok, thanks everyone!

Louche: Rolling Laughter

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 3:55 pm
Good luck with your future endeavers. It's been a pleasure working with you.

Standard phrase in the leaving card.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette