Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
4 year old with a phobia - please help

detroitmom

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 3:08 am
I really need some help here. My 4 year old son has had this phobia since he was a year and a half. He's terrified of being in a closed room without me or my husband. He won't even go to the bathroom with the door closed. When I put him in his car seat and walk around to go to the driver's seat he cries because he's in the closed car without me. I can never send him to his room. Because he will freak out completely, I have to find alternate ways to punish him. Not that I usually have to, he's a total goody-two shoes.

It's getting really bad and I've thought of therapy but isn't 4 years old too young for therapy?

As a side note I think his fear stems from the fact that he used to have epilepsy. (he's outgrown it b"h) When he was a baby he got a 24 hour video EEG. He was trapped in a crib for that time and since then he freaks out when he's in a closed space. I tried to make the experience less traumatic for him at the time by staying in the crib with him the entire time, and I even slept in there with him. (It helps to be short!) But it didn't help in the end. Crying He still came out of the experience with this awful fear.

Anyone with a similar experience? What worked for you and your child in the end?

marina

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 4:16 am
Claustrophobia is a relatively common anxiety problem, but it is somewhat serious and I would certainly take a four year old to a behavioral therapist for that.

If I wanted to try things before therapy, I would do it slowly in tiny stages and with rewards.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 4:54 am
A four year old is not too young for therapy. Probably it will be play therapy and the therapist will be teaching you how to help him overcome his fears...small steps most likely and using dolls other people to model the desired behavior.

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 8:08 am
if you take Dina Friedman's parenting course she teaches a whole class of fears.
children often have fears; scared of thunder and lightening, spiders, elevators,
scared of monters, the dark . . .
she goes through fears and how to deal with them.

good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 8:52 am
OP. my sympathies to you. It is so hard to see your child struggle with issues of fear. I recently consulted with my pediatrician about my 5 year olds anxiety, mainly sleeping alone in a room, or separation anxiety (when dropped off at school etc). He did not have any recommendations, and did not think it warranted therapy. If anyone has experience with this, probably many of us can benefit from your advice.

detroitmom

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 1:33 pm
Thanks to all of you who answered. I think I'm going to get him a therapist. He's such a sweetheart but he's so anxious. He's got other fears as well and he's very very clingy. I myself can't go to the bathroom without him banging down the door. He cries if I ever lock myself in. He thinks I'll never come out again.

One time he had a full out panic attack where he was just crying hysterically for no reason and breathing heavily.

I hope a therapist can help him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics