Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Philadelphia
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 5:05 pm
I grew up in Northeast Philly, close to Rhawnhurst. And it is definitely not for you! To the poster who said families are moving in Rhawnhurt, it is true, but it is mostly very yeshivish families looking for kollel or rebbi jobs in the local elementary school. Lower Merion/Bala Cynwyd definitely sounds more like what you're going for. I hate visiting the northeast now that I've moved out, and I always wished my parents lived in Lower Merion when I was growing up. As for Elkins Park, I always thought it was really tiny community but perhaps it has grown a lot. Good luck!!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up in Northeast Philly, close to Rhawnhurst. And it is definitely not for you! To the poster who said families are moving in Rhawnhurt, it is true, but it is mostly very yeshivish families looking for kollel or rebbi jobs in the local elementary school. Lower Merion/Bala Cynwyd definitely sounds more like what you're going for. I hate visiting the northeast now that I've moved out, and I always wished my parents lived in Lower Merion when I was growing up. As for Elkins Park, I always thought it was really tiny community but perhaps it has grown a lot. Good luck!!

Howdy, neighbor.

I grew up a stone's throw from Elkins Park, back in the day when that part of Cheltenham Township was THE place for Jews. Well, Conservative and Reform Jews, certainly not Orthodox.

The area has changed a lot, and there are not nearly as many Jews there, particularly in Melrose Park and Melrose Park Gardens. But the homes in Elkins Park are still lovely, and the general area is still supporting a lot of Jewish institutions.

I'd definitely advise you to visit before making any decisions.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 7:44 pm
I've been living in Bala Cynwyd for 3+ years and I'd rate it a 6.5 out of 10.
You really need to be a certain "type" to fit in here.
If you are just arriving, be newly married, young, modern orthodox, and you'll fit right in. But don't come if you're in your late 30's early 40's because that age range is already established with grinds and clicks so you'll be lonely (like me).
Of course you'll find 1 or 2 (if you're lucky) extremely nice people but those are usually the busy rebbetzins.
I'm here because of my husband's job and wish I was anywhere else.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:39 pm
Just curios would u move to Elkins park?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
how many yeshiva families in elkins park? is it like 5 or 15?

Found you a house

http://www.philly.com/philly/b......html

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:05 pm
Bump
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating