Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Chicken Fried Steak

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Dec 08 2010, 11:13 am
Okay, so it's not the healthiest thing in the world, but I'm in the mood for southern shabbos -

chicken fried steak with sausage gravy
biscuits
corned beef hash
collard greens with garlic
sweet tea

Here's relatively good recipe for chicken fried steak: http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

My question is what cut of kosher meat should I use? I'm assuming the cut they're talking about is not from the front part of the cow.

Suggestions?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 08 2010, 11:21 am
Yum.

I have no idea.

Do you have a collard greens recipe to share? I just bought them today and all the recipes I've seen call for ham.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 08 2010, 11:27 am
You can substitute a smoked turkey leg for ham in almost any recipe. A lot of times when ham or bacon is in a recipe its for the smokey flavor.

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Dec 08 2010, 11:36 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Yum.

I have no idea.

Do you have a collard greens recipe to share? I just bought them today and all the recipes I've seen call for ham.

Sautee 'em up with some sliced garlic and fresh ground pepper. Just until they wilt. Yum.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 08 2010, 11:37 am
aidelmaidel wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
Yum.

I have no idea.

Sautee 'em up with some sliced garlic and fresh ground pepper. Just until they wilt. Yum.

Sort of like spinach?

Thanks mha.

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 08 2010, 3:02 pm
I made that using minute steak, I think ribeye would be better because minute steak has that grisly thingy running down the middle. I'm sure you can use any fillet steak sliced thin.

shabri

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 1:52 am
Here in Israel I have found in a butcher called Chofez Chaim something called meat shnitzel. My southern baal teshuva DH said when fried up it is exactly chicken fried steak. I don't know what cut of meat it is but it looks a bit like pepper steak maybe?

Maybe check in Pomegranite or some other place like that and see if they sell meat shnitzel
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics